Product Reviews > Canoes > Clipper Canoes > Prospector 16 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Prospector 16 Canoe by Clipper Canoes

Rated: 9.56/10 Based On: 9 Reviews

Prospector 16 Canoe by Clipper Canoes

Length: 15' 9" - Width: 35.0" - Starting at: $1495.00
See More Details about this Canoe
Clipper Canoes Logo

09-11-2014
Submitted by: Kathy

I absolutely love this canoe. It is maneuverable when it needs to be, but yet it tracks straight as well, especially loaded, like on my trip around the Bowron Lakes. I had a web seat put in the bow so I can paddle it solo facing the stern. Construction is bomb-proof. Beautiful workmanship.

07-29-2011
Submitted by: RBSend Email

A++
By far my favorite canoe, paddles awesome solo or tandem. Can handle rough water, smooth and dry. The Basalt layup is the best looking canoe on the water. No one builds tougher composite canoes than Clipper.

08-27-2010
Submitted by: JBIMSend Email

I bought a P16 one week ago. My son and I are just back from its maiden voyage yesterday. We went down the Saint-Maurice river in Quebec. A stretch of 120 kilometers between La Tuque and Grand-Mere. My son and I are beginners. The canoe is the Duraflex lay-up at 60 pounds. The boat was loaded with 525 pounds including paddlers, food and gear.

The quality and finish are first class. The boat feels very safe from the time to step in. It has good primary stability. We didn't lean the boat but it handled well anything we face, although conditions were quite good, just a bit of a head wind, wake, wind waves. No real rapids just the regular river stuff. Although it has quite a bit of rocker, it tracked really well and at the same time was very maneuverable.

All in all, we were impressed and very happy with the purchase. I give it a nine for now with a view for a 10 when I paddle it solo and in more challenging conditions.

05-04-2010

We rented a trio of Prospectors for a trip on the Yukon River a few years back. They're perfect for this kind of work. Two Duluth packs will stand back to back on each side of the center thwart so even at 16' there's plenty of room. This isn't a fast boat but it's steady and comfortable on big water. Clipper craftsmanship is as good as any and better than most. I'd own one of these if shipping to the Midwest wasn't so costly. An excellent canoe!

04-28-2010
Submitted by: MarvSend Email

This is a terrific canoe! The fit and finish is excellent and the canoe handles beautifully. It is a bit too much of a tub for any fast paddling but it handles class III whitewater without a qualm. Good trade off

01-15-2007

This is an additional review since I have put many miles on my Clipper Prospector since my last review. I have run our local stretch of the Colorado (Black Canyon) many times since my last review. My wife and I both find it faster than either of our other canoes and I think it handles well on the river even when going against a fairly strong current. We carry everything including the kitchen sink and the boat performs flawlessly. The boat does better in wind by having a little balast up front. When paddling solo I kneel in front of the bow seat with the stern to the front. I usually put at least a 2 gallon water container up front for ballast and stability. This boat continues to be my favorite. I recently went up the river with a group of about 16 kayaks and had no trouble keeping up even when paddling solo. Not bad for 60 yrs old. What a great boat. DT

10-25-2006

This boat gets a well deserved 10 and so does the company. I bought mine from Western Canoeing and Kayaking (the factory) In Abbottsford, BC on the way back from a trip to Bowron Lakes Provincial Park. I had met one of the company's employees when doing the Bowron circuit and he could not say enough good things about the product line. I also saw several Kevlar Prospectors on the circuit while I was there. I was set on this particular boat before even stopping at the factory and Marlin the owner showed me a fresh new hull in the Kevlar Duralite layup and said he could have it ready by the next day at 10 am. I picked up the canoe the next morning. These folks at the store were some of the nicest people I have ever met. I have since paddled the boat on the Colorado river and on Lake Mead and it is a fabulous boat whether solo or tandem. I paddle it Canadian style, heeled over and paddling on the right side. It turns on a dime but can straight line on a very windy Lake Mead as well. I had an accident when I first took the boat out in which my bow line got caught in my front tire when I was cartopping the boat on my Jeep Liberty. This pulled down very hard on the boat and bent both gunwales and put a kink in the kevlar. Western Canoeing and Kayaking quickly sent me 2 gunwhales and lots of rivets as well as Kevlar and fiberglass to do my repair. They tutored me over the phone as I repaired the boat and now it is as good as new. This is a fine company with a fine product and great staff. I would reccomend this company and this boat to anyone. They really understand customer service and they build a fabulous canoe.

06-12-2004
Submitted by: clipperfan

I bought a fiberglass prospector second hand (great deal). I have taken the boat out several times on lakes and rivers and have used it solo and loaded up with my wife and two small childeren. This is an excellent boat. It is very stable even when the kids are fishing (that's saying something). It paddles well, is responsive and can hold a lot of gear. It does exactly what it supposed to do an does it very well. It is a multi purpose/tripping canoe. Many of the paddling clubs in Western Canada use this boat to rent to their members, so I am not the only one who likes this boat. If you want an excellent all-rounder, this boat certainly fits the bill.

07-01-2002

This boat is an excellent all-rounder. The Fibreglass model is very durable and stands up to average use and abuse. I paddle solo and it is a little difficult to handle in the wind. Also a bit on the heavy side at 72 lbs, but that's where the durability comes from, so it's a fair trade-off in my mind.