Product Reviews > Kayaks > Liquidlogic Kayaks > Tryon Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Tryon Kayak by Liquidlogic Kayaks

07-05-2008
Submitted by: BRSend Email

Great Kayak!
Just took mine out yesterday for the very first time. Gets you into places no one else can even think of going. Landing you more fish than anyone on the lake. Took me bit to get the adjustments right. Felt a bit tippy at first, then very stable later on in the day once I got used to it. Highly recommend. I purchased mine used for $200 with a paddle and life jacket. Excellent buy!!!!

01-10-2007

LOVED this boat. My father and have rented kayaks for years, and in doing so, we found features we like and don't like. We finally decided what we liked, and researched boats here on paddling.net.

The Tryon was an excellent choice. My father's only complaint is the sidewall height. For me, it's a perfect boat. Perfect width, perfect shape, perfect keel. The seat could be a little better (2005 model), but can't they all? They glide through the water easily, and handle incredible, even in the class IV we took them out on.

From time to time, I think about buying an open kayak - I am happy LiquidLogic makes the Manta Ray for when I am ready.

06-13-2006

As a relatively new paddler, I couldn't be more pleased with my Tryon. I've had it on flatwater only, and for my needs it is perfect - stable, maneuverable, and roomy, not to mention easy on the eyes. I'm planning to attempt some nature photography from it this summer and am looking forward to that.

My sole complaint would be that the seat is not comfortable for me after any time at all on the water. Possibly it's the angle or lack of sufficient padding, but after much seat time I tend to develop leg stiffness and numbness in my feet. The newer Tryons have a different style seat. I contacted Liquidlogic about the possibility of fitting one of the new style seats into my boat, but that is not possible. Their customer service folks are top notch by the way, getting back to me almost immediately and going the extra mile to offer other helpful suggestions.

I can work around the seat issue, though, and all in all am extremely pleased with my boat. If you decide to try one, I'll bet you will be, too.

08-23-2005

Have paddled my Tryon a few times now and for the most part I like it. It is very responsive (and a little "lively"), but reasonably stable. I paddled yesterday on the North East River, where water skiers abound, and I had no trouble. The only thing I don't like is the seat - it just presses me the wrong way. Other than that, it's great, and I'm looking forward to paddling in it this fall.

10-07-2004

Traded in a Pungo 100 for my Tryon and so glad I did. Very responsive for a 10'8" boat. Tracks well and the seat gives good lower back support. At 5'10" my knees are comfortable and I don't feel cramped. I love the feeling of sitting higher on the water. Foot braces are well constructed and at 42#, it's an easy shoulder carry. Thanks Liquidlogic. This one's a "winner".

09-09-2004
Submitted by: CindySend Email

I tried out this boat and really didn't like it. Too bad, because I thought it looked REALLY nice. It felt tippy to me and my fingers hit the high hull. I also did not find the seat to be comfortable, although it looked like it would be. I bought the Pamlico 100 with the fancy seat instead. I liked it right away. I do only flat water kayaking, bird watching, nature photography etc., so comfort is important to me. I'd say this is a boat you definitely need to try out in the water before you buy!

05-26-2004

I love this kayak...handles well..tracks well...turns like a charm...very comfortable...I'm 5 foot 2 and it suits me well...

04-14-2004

I just used my new Tryon for the first time and it is a fantastic kayak. It turns on a dime and maneuvers extremely well. I thought the fact that the boat is raised up more would be a problem but I found it even better. I have four boats and this one is by far the best yet. Very comfortable and roomy. Great choice!

03-30-2004
Submitted by: TB

This is a great boat for recreational enthusiasts who want to keep their options open. I've taken it through class two rapids, winding creeks and windy lakes. There are some draw backs. It doesn't handle well with the wind. The boat sits high up and there's very little you can do to compensate for the wind. It's a little slow compared to my black water or well in general. It does maneuver well, and trekking down stream with a lot of gear is not a problem. It does have a little tippyness when empty but load it down with gear and use their skirt and camp/kayak away.

08-11-2003
Submitted by: z roskiSend Email

Buy one!!! I bought this primarily to paddle upstream and fish down. I tracks very well, turns very well. I have retired my 16 foot canoe. Keeping this in the eddies while fishing is a breeze. Ducking into the eddies is a breeze, Paddling up into the Class 1 water is not a breeze but easy enough. I don't have much to compare this to, but have paddled a fair amount and have no complaints

11-04-2002

We just returned from paddling our new LiquidLogic Tryon recreational kayaks on the North Fork River and upper Current River in Missouri. We paddled Old Town Loon 111's for two years previously. The LiquidLogic kayaks are great. They are very responsive and we were greatly impressed with the maneuverability compared to our old kayaks. They turn easily to maneuver around rocks and trees and are so easy to paddle and comfortable. We definitely made the right choice.

08-14-2002

Background: I am a large (6'/240 lbs.) paddler, and am probably near the upper capacity limits of the Tryon. I owned a Tryon for about a week, then went back to my dealer and traded it for the (I feel) markedly superior Necky Santa Cruze.Here are the pro's and con's of the Tryon as I see them.

Pro's: 1) Beautiful looks, 2) great fit and finish, 3) reassuring initial stability, 4) comparatively high sides in the cockpit area [gives beginners confidence that they won't flood the cockpit if paddling without a spray skirt], 5) very comfortable and easy-to-adjust seat, and 6) reasonable maneuverability.

Cons: 1) Limited glide as compared to the Necky Santa Cruze, 2) relatively flat bottomed-design feels less responsive to leans than a boat with sharper-edged chines and more rocker [again, the Santa Cruze], 3) doesn't track as well a boat with a drop-down skeg [once more, the Santa Cruze], 4)is nowhere near as secure-feeling in chop than a boat with a more flared/raised prow [one more time, the Santa Cruze], and 5) the high cockpit sides you loved on day 1 become an encumbrance by about day 4.

Thinking that maybe I was just too big for the Tryon, I also tried the larger Saluda. Frankly, it seemed to have much the same set of drawbacks as the Tryon, but in giant economy size. No question, the Tryon is an appealing boat on the showroom floor. But, if you believe that beauty is (or should be) as beauty does, I would encourage you to look further. I think you can do better for less money.

06-03-2002
Submitted by: djlSend Email

I love this little boat. I'm 6' 220 and my wife is 5'4" and half my weight. We tried tons of boats (138 Loons, Crossover Dagger, Pungo) in search of a recreational kayak that could do a little more. To our surprise, we settled on the same boat, the Tyon. My wife's a beginner and I'm an advanced novice. With a weight capacity of over 300 pounds, my wife sits pretty high in her boat while I am much deeper in the water. The hull design provides good (not great) intitial stability but get this thing going and it carves through the water more like an "old fashioned" whitewater boat. Lean it and it turns on a dime compared to other rec yaks.

It might not be a perfect marriage between a short cruiser, little fishing boat, and class II or III whitewater boat, but it's close. With the Liquidlogic skirt, I hit a couple of two foot standing waves today and the water rolled right off the skirt and my face. I've heard that the loon big skirts and others tend to collapse, so far, I think the Logic folks have solved this one for this very roomy cockpit. As mentioned in my other review of the Saluda, the seat adjustment system is a great idea but needs some fine tuning. The height adjustment works great. The forward or backward lean requires something to take-up the slack in the adjustment webbing. I used a biener with about 4 twists. Works great now. The seat moves forward and backward but isn't the easiest thing to do on my boat. With my 220 pounds, I think it is better for me to be just a little to the rear of the mid adjustment position. My wife who's 110 can be a little further forward. Move too far foward and the nose of the boat submarines a little too much. I like to ride low and punch through the rapids and that's what the Tryon does well. If you want to stay on top of it all, try the Saluda. If you want to get into it a little, the Tryon is for you if you're my size.

I was planning on buying a used high volume whitewater boat. Now, I think I'll stick with the Tryon for quite a while. A friend of mine just bought a 14' Wilderness Systems boat two weeks ago and he paddled a Liquidlogic today on some class I and II and is buying one ASAP.

Rendezvous River Sports
Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!