Product Reviews > Kayaks > Chesapeake Light Craft > Mill Creek 13 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Mill Creek 13 Kayak by Chesapeake Light Craft

Mill Creek 13 Kayak by Chesapeake Light Craft

Length: 13' 0" - Width: 29.50" - Starting at: $999.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Chesapeake Light Craft Logo

07-25-2003

This novice paddler likes the Mill Creek 13 a lot. I built it from plans provided by CLC, but kits are available too. It is an open cockpit kayak best suited to protected waters. It tracks very well for such a relatively short boat. (13 feet) It is very fast for someone used to canoes. It was a little tippy at first for me, a novice, but secondary stability is amazing. At first, I wouild lean it as far as I would dare, expecting it to flip, but I soon learned that it can be leaned ridiculously far before it will flip. But water is threatening to come into the cockpit at that point anyway. In calm water tests, I was able to climb back into the cockpit without a paddlefloat to aid me.

This is a fun, all around kayak. I'm 6'3" and it fits me fine. Kids who have paddled it haven't had any trouble either. I didn't like the wooden seat that CLC provides, so I made one out of minicell foam. I've only paddled it in calm water with light to medium winds, so can't comment on any other conditions.

06-03-2002

The Mill Creek 13 is a s&g recreational kayak. Construction is simple requiring simple tools and skills, the manuals could use some improvement. The 13 is a nice little kayak because the option of sliding fore/aft enables one to manage in a lot of different conditions, the bottom panel is just narrow enough to allow some leaning/wave handling yet still is easy to step into at shore. It'll pound a bit in choppy water. Good simple boat.