Product Reviews > Kayaks > Ocean Kayak > Aegean Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Aegean Kayak by Ocean Kayak

Rated: 8.91/10 Based On: 11 Reviews

08-03-2012

I bought the Aegean used 6 years ago and use it in a salt pond in Rhode Island to go to the beach and to go clamming. It is a SUPERB kayak and it is terrific as a solo or tandem. It tracks beautifully. Very stable boat and capable of easily handling 400-500 lbs with plenty of room. I don't carry it, as it lives on the waterfront, so I can't address that, although it is @ 65lbs and 14' ... We love it so much,that we're looking to buy another!

07-14-2008
Submitted by: MikeSend Email

This model has been discontinued in the US but there are still a few around. Itís a great yak and Iíll start with the pros.

Pros:
Stable and quick when two are paddling moderately. Itís faster than the Malibu Two XL since its not as wide, but it doesnít compromise stability. Good storage space to strap gear down. Handles crosswinds and rough water well. Loading is a breeze with two people.

Cons:
Can be a wet time even in calm water. Like most OK models, scupper plugs fix this. Itís advertised for two people and a small child but thatís much too cramped for a day trip. 2 people and 1 small dog is pushing the max. Turning is slowÖexactly what youíd expect for a tandem unit. There are no tandems that turn on a dime.

Overall, this kayak is great and I would never part with it. Iíve had it in lakes, streams, rivers, bays, and the ocean and it has never skipped a beat. Like most SOT models, long trips are impossible without a backrest since the molded seats donít provide any support. It gets a 9 for the lack of any real decent cupholders. The molds arenít high enough to keep a drink upright in choppy water. And no kayak gets a 10.

07-11-2005

The Aegean is very stable, tracks well, and has plenty of space for passengers and gear. It is easy for two people to lift but if you are alone I would get wheels or a strap. It is surprisingly fast when paddling solo, and is very hard to tip. Plenty of deck space. If you are looking for a tandem that can also be paddled solo and the Malibu II XL isn't fast enough for you, try the Aegean.

07-04-2005
Submitted by: Byron BartonSend Email

Great first kayak. Controlling direction in wind is a challenge but manageable, my background is canoeing, this is more fun and safer. My wife has fibromyalgia and finds some exercising difficult. She can handle 2 hour trips with ease and loves the ease of entry and excellent stability. We're in our 50's and will use if with our grandchildren. If you want a performance boat get that, all tandems have limitations. The Aegean strikes a good balance of size and performance, if a Malibu XL had been available I may have gone for that - it's 10 lbs. lighter, but shorter with a bit less load capacity. Ocean build quality is quite good. We tie ours onto a Combi-Camp light weight camper and go. It's a blast.

02-16-2004
Submitted by: AARSend Email

My Pastor and I took some folks from our church for a day on one of rivers in south Jersey. We rented an Aegean, Malibu Two and a Cobra Tandem. The Agean was the most challenging of the day. It did not track as well as Malibu Two or the Cobra Tandem. We took turns with the other folks in our group and none of us like he Aegean. It was tipped easier and was hard to control. Sorry, but I rented a lot of boats this past summer and this was the worst of them all.

09-08-2003
Submitted by: WLMSend Email

Have owned / saltwater fished this boat since 5-03. Excellent fishing platform w/ all the deck space. Also once LOADED it with gear to paddle / camp on a remote side of a mountain lake so again the deck space and weight limit are big " + " 's. If I had to list a negative it would be tracking in wind when just paddling solo. No prob when its me (270lbs) and another or lots of gear, and not an issue once I'm tied off to some kelp... but otherwise a zigzag from A -B. That being said, it's a great trade for the versatility of this boat. Even if I were to buy another boat, I wouldn't trade this one.

04-17-2003

We just bought an Aegean a month ago, and have been out in it twice so far. The positives are: 1) It is super stable; it handles waves and boat wakes very well. 2) Plenty of room; adequate room for gear and the paddles don't hit together. 3) It's lots of fun - I can't describe why it's fun. It just IS!!! 4) It's reasonably fast for its size with both of us paddling, exerting ourselves moderately. And if you really put forth some effort, it moves along quite well.

Now, the negatives: 1) It tracked ok on a still day, but in 10 mph wind it weathercocked terribly and was almost impossible to keep in a straight line. It zig-zagged all over the place. Granted my paddling skills aren't the greatest, but I do just fine in my Cypress in the same conditions or worse. I'm sure it would be fine on moving water but unfortunately, we paddle mostly lakes... so far. 2) I know someone said it was lightweight, but for two women it was heavy but manageable.

It's a wet ride (I've ordered scupper plugs) but that's ok because I like getting splashed, even more so when it's warmer weather. All in all, I would recommend this kayak - it's great for fun on the water.

08-14-2002

My husband and I bought the Aegean in May and we have used it on the river, the ocean and lakes. It moves along fast and has plenty of room for storage. We use a dry bag and also bring a cooler. We have had great fun this summer. It is also easy to transport.

08-12-2002
Submitted by: GerrySend Email

This kayak tracks nicely, has lots of room (my wife, myself and Lab Retriever are perfectly comfortable for hours), and is extremely stable. Very lightweight and easy to load/unload. Very low price, especially considering its versatility. We have nothing but praise for it.

06-05-2002

We were in the market for a Malibu Two, but found the brandnew Aegean in a package deal and bought it on the spot. We love the additional space- no more tangling of paddles when you're not completely in sync with your companion-, its increased speed and the better center seat. When the whole family goes to the beach, this boat never stays on land for more than a few minutes. It handles well solo or tandem and even with three teenagers in it. A truly great allround kayak for fun outings along the shore.

02-14-2002

If you though the Malibu Two is good or the Scrambler you have to get the Aegean, this kayak is great all around! I bought one in October have been using it almost every weekend. (I love it)