Product Reviews > Canoes > Mad River Canoe > Intrigue Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Intrigue Canoe by Mad River Canoe

Rated: 8.67/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

Canoes Image Canoes Image Canoes Image
Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

09-18-2006
Submitted by: UndercatSend Email

I have an Intrigue and I agree with the guy who said the workmanship shows signs of being very lax. The way the seats are attached is very poor. Right now, I am in procress of replacing all the wood hangers. It's a good little boat but not godlike and invincible like the marketers would have you believe. I get the feeling what they did was, they sacrificed strength for lightness. I estimate it would have added 5 pounds to make the seats and yoke in an acceptably strong fashion. Also, too much rocker in the boat for open water. Great solo boat for rivers and carrying thru woods to a swamp but noticably bad tracking on open water. I knew this would be the case when I bought it but didn't realize it would be that pronounced. Looking back I wish I'd got a canoe a foot or more longer with less rocker. I overpaid for my Intrigue I do believe. It was like $1000 when I bought it. Happy canoeing everybody!!

03-01-2004
Submitted by: Choire dog

Got mine as a demo boat due, I was told to the hull damage. Fair enough, that was okay and fixable. However, closer inspection (too late to change my mind) highlighted many examples of poor workmanship. The seat fittings were not square and the seats were cut too short, thus the holes were drilled very close to the ends and lacked strength. The hangers were not in line with the gunwales and one side at the front had been drilled oversized in order to get things to line up. The amount of varnishing (one coat?) was not enough and the end grain of the seats and yoke were not varnished at all. The holes drilled in the hull for the grab loops were uneven and too near the keel, lacking strength.

Basically it looked as though a blind man on a galloping horse had put it together whilst planning the weekend.

I managed to sort most of the issues by making new seats to fit the spacings of the holes drilled in the gunwales and generally sorting it out.

So what is it like on the water? Well, I quite like it, thankfully! I use it tandem with the wife and dog on camping trips. It is really too small fo this but that is not MRC's fault! When it is used for WW and not fully loaded it is fine and is a good solo boat for moderate WW. It is quite low in the middle which makes it easy to paddle solo and it does not catch the wind too badly, but the trade off here is lack of sea worthyness.

My main aim in getting this boat was as a jack of all trades and I am satisfied with it in that respect. AS a one boat for everything it excells at little but that is the nature of compromise. if you want to do everything in one boat give it a try, but have a long hard look at how it is put together.

06-06-2003
Submitted by: Ted SlawinskiSend Email

Bought a demo Intrigue. Fast and responsive but quite tippy. My wife was terrified of it. Tipped first time out. Ended up trading it in on an Explorer TT. That boat is a 10/10.

05-12-2003

If I'm not mistaken I think Mad River has reintroduced the Intrigue design and has called it "Horizon 15 RX". Looks like an exceptional canoe especially with the new IQ system!

02-15-2002
Submitted by: KWSend Email

Got my intrigue last year,best canoe I ever got and I've had a few, fast responsive and very stable, love it more with every trip, why they stopped making it I will never know.

02-12-2002

Just got a new boat for a good deal as a closeout. I guess the Intrigue was produced 1998-2000 by Mad River. I don't know why they stopped, because, so far, I really like the boat. Mine came with 3 seats so solo or tandem paddling is simple and the boat responds well either way. It's not big enough for extended touring, but a great size for weekend river camping.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!
Rendezvous River Sports