Product Reviews > Accessories > EZ Top Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for EZ Top

Research Roof Racks and Trailers in the Buyers' Guide!
Roof Racks and Trailers
View Roof Racks and Trailers in Buyers' Guide

12-03-2001

The Kayak I used on it was a 60 pound, 15 foot Walden Passage. The vehicle I have it installed on is a 1997 Chevy Blazer with roof rack.

Pros: 1. As a portage system it is first rate. It is maneuverable and easy to manage. 2. Securing the Kayak to the top of my Chevy Blazer is as advertised. It is a one person job and I did not even break a sweat. My advice is to watch the video first before actually trying it with a kayak. 3. If you require a roof rack system and a portage system this can be a cheaper solution. When compared to the price of a Portage pal http://www.portagepal.com or a roller loader http://www.rollerloader.com *AND* a set of Thule bars this solution is only slightly more and a better all-around solution.

Cons: 1. The rack system did not install directly to my Blazer rack. I had to spend additional money on Thule bars. 2. The EZ Top sits on top of the Thule Bars which raised the EZ Top rack several inches higher than I would have liked. If you have a low garage door and a large SUV you will not be able to drive directly into your garage and hoist the kayaks up. Fortunately for me, I have the space in my garage to leave the kayaks on the portage frame.

Final Analysis: If you need a good portage system and plan to use a vehicle rack then this is a great integrated solution. If you kayak alone, then this is a great one-man system to get your kayak on and off of your roof rack. On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it a 9 (minus one for cost).