Product Reviews > Kayaks > Current Designs > Andromeda Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Andromeda Kayak by Current Designs

06-05-2011
Submitted by: markSend Email

Consider this: every prior reviewer has given the Andromeda a 10/10, and this isn't a boat that people buy if they haven't owned or paddled a few. I don't think I have ever read another boat review that rated this high this consistently, and as an Andromeda owner I know why. I passionately love this boat, and there have been many before her.

Forgetting waterline length arguments and primary/secondary arguments, the plain fact is that as a package it is as close to perfect for me as I think I will ever get. Unlike the Extreme and other long/narrow performance boats I have paddled the Andromeda doesn't float on top like a cork. It seems to balance dig-in and float-on perfectly. Maybe I am just the right size or something (I am 180, 5'11, thanks for asking).

As for not being as fast as this or that...maybe on some graph, but paddler and water conditions negate minor differences, and I will take this sure footed boat over any purpose-built speedster.
If you can find one...buy it.

04-11-2011

I've had The Andromeda for about a year and a half now. Like others have said, it's a thrill every time I get in it. I am an average paddler but this is not a kayak for an absolute beginner. Not a first boat. With that said, this kayak is awesome. Surprisingly, there is plenty of cockpit room for a kayak that is listed as 20.5" wide. I was paddling in the Raritan Bay in New Jersey one day and as I passed by the entrance to a marina during high tide, I found myself in some pretty confused water. There was a submerged jetty under the water causing me to be knocked about. The kayak felt like it was skipping across the top of each wave passing under me. Instead of fighting the water, I relaxed and let the Andromeda do the work. All I had to do was dip a paddle blade in the water here and there for balance and the Andromeda got me safely through. I was really impressed. This fiberglass kayak dances on the water. I can only imagine what it could do if I was more experienced.It's a great all around kayak.

03-16-2005
Submitted by: Joe FSend Email

For a couple of years I looked at kayaks from Current Designs. I thought that if they ever put together a boat that was narrow like the Slipstream with the capacity of the Gulfstream, they would have something special. When I first saw the Andromeda in the Spring of 2002, I placed my order. I've paddled the boat for three summers now, and it is still a thrill every time I get in it. The layup (kevlar) is first-rate, and the finish is perfect. The boat tracks very well, and the skeg is a real help for dealing with winds from the rear quarters.

I have had 14 very high quality canoes and kayaks over the years, and I've never had one I've enjoyed as much as the Andromeda. It is a versatile boat that's good at almost everything. It is a little low on storage capacity, but my wife and I are bicycle tourists and have very packable gear. We could swing a one week trip if we did not have to load a lot of cold weather gear.

I would not put a beginner in an Andromeda without teaching them a wet exit, but I think itís the kind of boat one can enjoy as their experience level grows.

I think Current Designs put together a winner with the Andromeda. Now, if I can only get them to drop that rudder off the Extreme....

01-19-2005

Boat has incredible lines and is a joy to paddle. Narrowness lends itself to low initial stability but one gets used to that fairly quickly. It is a light, fast boat. Loaded with gear increases the waterline and also increases speed substantially. Boat also rolls like a charm, sometimes almost too easily. As for turning, itís no play boat but with good edging ability will certainly come around easily. I have not had any weathercocking problem which I see one rater mentioned. In fact I've only used the skeg 2 or 3 times, and only partially lowered. Highly recommend.

08-24-2004

I just bought my Andromeda in Kevlar yesterday (8/21/04) and I am super happy. I am a serious paddler but with limited expedition experience. I've taken most of the basic classes, such as BSK I & II, Surf Zone, and Roll Class, and I paddle about 25 miles a week in the summer. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area so flatwater is hard to come by, 20 knots + of wind are a norm here in the summer and so is the associated chop. I tested several boats extensively, many for multiple days, before arriving at the Andromeda as the final.

In addition to other sit-on-tops and nameless plastic boats, I got a pretty good feel for different kayak characteristics. No kayak is a bad kayak, just unintended uses for a kayak that was not designed to meet certain conditions and demands.

The Andromeda is a long, sleek looking boat that has beautiful lines. This is a classic Greenland design though, not like the sexy modern looking Tempest. I ended up going with British designer Derek Hutchinson's boat partially because I've read his books and I like what he has to say about boat design. Sure, some of his ideas on paddling technique are arguable, but his experience in designing and making the first modern kayak out of his garage 30 years ago don't hurt either. He really changed the industry. I also like the classic look. My kayak should look like it came from Greenland, not the Matrix.

The Andromeda isn't a fast boat for a 17'3 overall length because its length at waterline is substantially shorter. In fact, if you look a the Sea Kayaker magazine reviews/tests of both those boats, the Gulfstream, another Hutchinson boat produced by Current Designs, has less resistance at all speeds while being 5 inches shorter. But what really excels about this boat is its performance is rough water. The rougher it is, the more you'll love this boat. Waves can hit you from any direction and neither the boat nor your confidence will be rocked. That being said, if I didn't live here in SF Bay, but on a very calm lake, I would have bought the Gulfstream (or the Chatham or the Tempest 170) even though I find that boat a little wide. The Andromeda is hard to relax in for a beginner since it won't sit still in the water due to its medium rising chines and lack of a flat/rounded bottom at any point in the hull. I found a way around this though so I can take my feet off the pegs, sit back, and enjoy the sun or the occasional energy bar. I have a Werner Ikelos paddle that is made of Carbon Fibre but the blades have foam cores. This means that they are quite buoyant. I place the paddle in the extended position perpendicular to my boat, and put a hand (or hook it under my elbow) on the side that it is extended. With the blade paralel to the water, this ever so slight tripod-action keeps the boat off to one side of the center line and extremely stable. So if you want to do some photography or just relax on this boat, it can be done. Fishing I can't speak to since I don't fish.

The Andromeda is incredibly stable, but does not offer high resistance in stability. This is an important point to distinguish. What this means is, if you're and intermediate or advanced paddler, you'll be just fine. In fact, you might love this feel as it's a boat you'll grow into, not out of, as your skill increases. This boat leans great and initial stability is light enough so it's almost effortless to get the boat on edge. When you have more advanced skills, edging and leaning the boat will be achieved more by your own balance-- by keeping your body weight centered and using your knee-hang to achieve the desired angle. As opposed to novice or recreational paddlers relying on secondary stability of the hull to hold them up, and prevent a capsize. I am tempted to say this is not a beginner's boat but that would not be good advice. This is a boat for the ambitious beginner who is looking to improve his or her skills and grow into a boat and more challenging conditions. Probably not good for the beginner who intends to buy an boat and use it twice a year and never take classes and learn rescue skills. Sweet boat for advanced paddlers.

This boat tracks like it's on rails. And this is without the skeg down. With the skeg down, you feel like an ice skater with a sharpened pair of skates on a new ice rink that just got Zamboni'd. The tracking has a weakness though. In following seas and wind, it tends to weathercock a little more, easily countered with skeg, but boat lean is not sufficient in this angle if winds are above 15 knots.

Now, because it tracks so well, you know maneuverability will be down. And that is the case. Every boat is a compromise, and I chose the pareto-optimum point for my tastes. I can easily turn the Gulfstream or the Tempest 180 degrees with 1 sweept stroke, telemark turn, and 1 more sweep stroke. With the Andromeda, I have to add 2 more strokes onto that sequence, although, I suspect as I learn to lean the boat over even farther while achieving counter balance with my stroke, I can get more turning action of the kayak.

Deck lines and hatches are great. I hate the boats that have cris-crossed bungee cords galore for no reason other than it looks kinda cool. The Andromeda has simple deck lines and bungees where you need them, and smooth beautiful curves where it doesn't. Hatches remain bone dry after a day in the ocean with swells and waves crashing on the boat. This is probably true because the Andromeda is made of fiberglass, kevlar, or graphite composite. A plastic boat's hatches will flex and let water in as the boat warms up in the sun.

Finally, this boat is a pleasure to solo load onto the car. I have the Kevlar 46 lb. version. But because of the medium chines, the keel line of the hull will get very close to my crossbars on my Thule rack system. I just put a piece of pipe insulation there (or you can use a surfer's bar rap from your local rack store) to guard against any chaffing if I go over bumps.

This is one beautiful boat! Slim, Sleek, Sensual to paddle. I know I love it, you'll have to test it out for yourself to see if you do too.

08-05-2004

This is a perfect boat for an athletic intermediate kayaker who wants to learn courage and finesse. The boat has room for me as a 6'3", 176 lbs. person! The 20.5 " width allows for a much shorter paddle, I use a Werner Ikelos 215 cm and it is very efficient for power, touring, support, and rolling. The lack of a hard chine, like in the Carribou S is intimidating at first but the constant stability until capsize is helps with learning hip, head, and edging through boat control rather than over use of the paddle.

It has very good acceleration, and surfs very very well, broaching very correctable, tracking great. In calm seas the top end and efficiency is not as good as some other narrow boats of this length. However, as the sea gets rougher and the swells bigger, it become more stable, tracks even better, and the efficiency actually increases.

Loaded with 45 lbs of touring gear I find it very stable and seaworthy. This is the first boat that I learned to have a bomb proof roll in, due to its low rear deck, narrowness, and low volume. Now I can roll larger boats and with gear and in rough stuff.

Perhaps for longer coastal trips I will get the Current Designs Extreme, but for shorter trips this boat is so playful, and recoverable in, I love it.

05-07-2004

I am 5'6" and 182 lbs. and tested several CD boats today.My experience so far has been 2 years with rec boats. The Andromeda was my favorite.Of the plastic boats I liked the Squall very much. I have never paddled sea yaks before and was nervous about trying out the narrow Andomeda...but no problem. Because of the price I may opt to get the Squall instead of the Andromeda. The water was calm so I never got to try the yaks in rough water.

07-31-2003

I've paddled my Andomeda now for about 100 hours. I've waited this long to find something critical about the boat to review it with. This is, by far, the best performing boat I have ever paddled.

The soft V-chine holds ever so slightly more than the rounded hull I am used to. She is incredibly responsive and has quite a good hull speed (about 4.9 mph unloaded and below ideal weight). Additionally, my forward stroke could use quite a bit of work, so I suspect this boat is even faster. She edges well, and again, has a slight hold on the secondary stability. Very playfull and turns a bit better than you would expect for 17'3".

My only critical comment is the backband did not feel as good as it could. Don't get me wrong though, they get much, much worse. The seat seems to be positioned closer than usual to the back of the cockpit. I completely remedied this discomfort with a 12"x1"x1" piece of foam on the back inside of the cockpit behind the backband.

The Andromeda also is about 3" longer than it's closest relative (the Sirius) and about 3lbs lighter (Kevlar comparison). If I had to describe this boat in one word, "perfection" comes to mind. I may have get another before CD stops making them.

08-26-2002

After waiting for six weeks for my red and smoke Andromeda to arrive, I've had it for a month now. After putting a hundred miles on it already, I can say it's a great boat! Can make a steady 4.5 kts, not as fast as I had expected to do, but good for the 14 ft. waterline length. Haven't found it to be the least bit unstable, even for my 200 lbs. weight. Most impressed with the way it smoothly takes 2+ ft waves in choppy waters, almost like riding in calm water. Runs extremely straight until I push it beyond 5 kts, then it tends towards port. (Probably the fault of the engine). Construction and finish are excellent. The folks at Current Design did a super job. Still enjoy my plastic Looksha IV, but the Andromeda is clearly my favorite.

03-29-2002
Submitted by: John MorrisSend Email

I've had an Andromeda for three months and it's become my favorite boat. This boat is a little tippy but has reasonable stability for a boat with a beam of 20.5". Probably not a good choice for beginners but intermediates and advanced paddlers will love it. At 6'1" and 200 pounds I found the cockpit to be surprisingly roomy and comfortable. This boat loves to play and easily catches and runs with even small waves like no other boat I've paddled. Previously I've always had ruddered boats but found that the Andromeda tracks very well even without the skeg deployed. On larger waves the Andromeda handles well and is easily controlled, but be prepared for some fast rides. A friend recently asked me to compare my Current Designs Extreme and the Andromeda. If your looking for a fast boat that can swallow a lot of gear and do extended trips get the Extreme. If your looking for a fast play boat for day tripping or shorter trips the Andromeda gets my vote.

02-13-2002
Submitted by: ROPSend Email

Amdromeda. Not exactly a begineers kayak. Initial stability somewhat tippy until I spend more time in it. Then it begins to shine. I came from a GTS so I have to get use to the 20.5 but it is happening. The rougher the water the more stable it is. Should be a about a 47lb kayak but hatch covers are heavy but good. Craftsmanship is very good . When factory installed compass they could have installed it 1.5 inches further towards bow. Cockpit is a little big for me at 5 8 170 lbs but will tweak it with foam. Kayak is fast and edges very well. Great kayak!

11-05-2001
Submitted by: Abdulla AlhamliSend Email

The Andromeda is a kayak for all for begginers or experienced for sea conditions, waves, surfing, stability, tracking, sculling, rolling, manuvarability, long trips but with right paddle. I may say if the kayak was longer & narrower (say..20" instead of 20.5") it would be faster for who accepts to compromise on the manuvarability side. Although the weight is 22 kg (Kevlar), as mentioned in the web site, I felt it is more, if it is around 20 kg could be better, however over all it is excellent kayak.