Product Reviews > Kayaks > Northwest Kayaks, Inc. > Pursuit RM Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Pursuit RM Kayak by Northwest Kayaks, Inc.

Rated: 7.5/10 Based On: 2 Reviews

11-08-2001

I am a paddler with moderate experience as well as an experienced blue water sailor and rower. This boat was the only RM boat I have tried (and I tried a lot of boats!)that tracked well and turned moderately well for a long RM boat. The cockpit is very large and doesn't provide a comfortable surface for knee bracing( I am a small paddler 5'7 160lbs) I was able to solve this using closed cell foam padding. After several trips, some in 15 to 20 knots of wind, I found the boat has a strong tendency to weathercock going downwind. All in all I am happy with the boat,considering its low cost (I bought a demo for $850) however I think I will go for a FRP boat next season.

10-29-2001

I'll start by stating that I am no expert, but I've been testing many boats for 2 years. After trying boats fom 13' and up, I discovered I'd need a 16' or larger boat to take on major rivers and the ocean. Then the test began.

I tried all major brands: Perception, dagger, prijon, necky, wilderness systems, etc. I had a hard time fitting in a lot of boats. I'm 6' 3" and 210 lbs and I discovered that many boats were not an option. Finally I picked the Vizcaya, Seayak and Kodiak. My friend has a vizcaya so that kind of turned me off to it although I liked the tracking and turning capabilities, but it seemed to plunge into the waves. I loved the quality of Prijon and tested the both boats several times. The seayak seemed not to track well and the Kodiak tracked too well. You really had to lean the Kodiak for it to respond. On a whim, I tried the pursuit RM.

It tracked extremely well and in no time I had travelled well across the lake. I then tried turning and the 22" wide boat turned on a dime. I was so impressed I purchased the boat.

Since then, I've had it in calm rivers and in the bay with everything from no waves to 3'+ chop. It cuts through the rough stuff and seems to handle better in harsher conditions. One warning however - it is initially very tippy. Secondary stability is excellent and once you are paddling you experience a very stable ride. Try one! If you are looking for a quick kayak that tracks and turns well, this may be your boat!