Product Reviews > Canoes > Curtis > Nomad Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Nomad Canoe by Curtis

Rated: 9.33/10 Based On: 3 Reviews

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

03-31-2004

This is one of my all time favorites to paddle. Mines made of Kevlar and has a light feel on the water. I judge a boat by how well they go upstream and this one moves easily and is very responsive to every lean and paddle stroke. Its a shame that this wonderful craft is no longer made.

09-12-2002
Submitted by: Tony ScilipotiSend Email

NOTE: "SteveBaker" reviewed the Nomad, but it is listed on the site as 14' 10". Curtis did have a solo that length, but I believe it was called the Vagabond. Not sure whether Steve actually has a Nomad and the length was misreported, or whether maybe he has a Vagabond.

In any case I have the 15' 4" boat in Kevlar with wood trim, and it is much as Steve describes. The boat is a 1988 model year which I bought as a demo in 1996 (these boats were very expensive for their time and did not always sell well).

Workmanship is outstanding: The canoe has none of the problems that high-end manufacturers asking thousands of dollars for their boats should be all over but apparently often aren't. (I also own a 1989 Kevlar Explorer tandem from Mad River which has minor gel coat flaws and had very major flotation expansion issues which completely deformed the bow and stern. They "fixed" the problem but it was too little too late for the hull.)

My one complaint about the boat - and it's not a problem with the boat but with the paddler-boat match - is that it's really a boat for bigger folks. I tip the scales at 135 and the canoe is a too affected by the wind with that amount of weight in it. I also wonder if I would have an easier time keeping up with my friends in tandems if my solo were a little smaller; a longer boat is faster but only if it has a big enough engine to push it!

10-22-2001

This is one of the fastest canoes on the water: not in a sprint but all day long. It has a gliiiiide like no other canoe I've tried (and that's a bunch). One stroke and you just keep going and going and... High quality woodwork and kevlar construction; very light and strong. It's a kneeler boat that will carry all your gear and pass up your tandem partners with ease. Negatives? It's at its best when kneeled and I don't kneel so well these days. It's also one of those 80s solos that take some getting used to the tenderness. That glide makes up for it all.

Harken Hoister: