Product Reviews > Kayaks > Swift > Caspian Sea Classic Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Caspian Sea Classic Kayak by Swift

Rated: 8.75/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

08-04-2011
Submitted by: mjmSend Email

I bought a used Swift Caspian Sea 10+ years ago..I sat in it on dry land and fell in love with it. (It is like my Z28 Camero, you don't get in it... you put it on) I can take it in the rivers here in Michigan and in the great lakes. I have been able to keep up with the bigger boats and younger folks, in the St Laurence Sea Way and feel safe.

05-31-2002
Submitted by: GeneSend Email

Great boat for the money, lots of cargo room. I use it for extended camping trips in Algonquin Park Ontario. Good speed, nicely built and LARGE hatches. Very good value.

02-25-2002

This review is of the expedition model; same boat with hatches and bulkheads. Good design and tracks well with reasonable speed. No need for skeg or rudder. Have a new one not made by QCC. The layup looks to be a bit on the cheap side, but I am a bit picky about construction so take this with a grain of salt.

10-10-2001

After paddling an 11' recreational kayak (my first) this summer, a Wilderness Systems Coupe Del Rio, I decided to upgrade to a longer, narrower, quicker and more challenging boat. After investigating a number of different models and considering my budget, etc, I was off to Swift Algonquin as they had the model I believed was right for me - the Castine by Old Town. When I actually saw it and tried it out, I was not impressed especially with the lack of leg room - my feet were up against the bulkhead and it was not any quicker than the boat I already had. Disgruntled, I then tried the Old Town Nantucket - had the room but was not a fun boat to paddle and was too heavy for me to cartop by myself. Then the Wilderness Systems 15' Cape Horn. This was a fast boat with excellent performance but at 63 lbs it was too heavy for my purpose and a little on the pricey side. Back to the yard to look at the other models they had. The salesman noticed me drooling over the fiberglass boats and suggested I try one out. Thinking that they were out of my league cost-wise, I initially declined. Fortunately he was persistent and indicated that they had a 2001 demo that was still in great shape, weighed in at less than 40 lbs and because it was the end of the season, they were willing to deal. Thus my introduction to the sleek Swift Caspian Sea Classic. This is a 15'4" long and 24" wide rocket that is stable and a blast to paddle. It is bare bones with no storage compartments nor does it have a rudder (doesn't need one). It does have solid foot braces and a comfortable and adjustable low back seat. If you want the extras, get the Caspian Sea Expedition.

I have cruised in all sorts of conditions and have yet to come up against anything it cannot handle. It is a fast, stable, easy to manageable kayak that I have had nothing but compliments about. Here is a company that you do not hear much about as they have a limited number of distributors and tend to focus on their canoes but they offer excellent goldenglass and kevlar recreational and touring kayaks. And the best part, I did not see a better priced glass boat, especially not one that had this quality and length. New, the Caspian Sea Classic lists for $1595 Cdn and I was able to purchase this one for hundreds of $'s less than this. Thank you Swift Canoe and Kayak for providing a "class act" at an affordable price. You can be assured that if I need a second boat or wish to upgrade in the future, I will check your line of kayaks first.

Ice Mule: