Product Reviews > Canoes > Osage > 17 Foot Std Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for 17 Foot Std Canoe by Osage

Rated: 7.43/10 Based On: 7 Reviews

17 Foot Std Canoe by Osage

Length: 17' 0" - Width: 36.0" - Starting at: $1089.00
See More Details about this Canoe
Osage Logo

07-02-2014
Submitted by: JaySend Email

I've gone back to my roots, aluminum. Put the Osagian double ender in at the headwaters of the Chickasawhay at Enterprise, very heavily loaded for luxury camping and with 75 pounds of water (9 gal). Continued 84 water miles to Buckatunna (Chicorah boat ramp).

It was easy to stand up underway (good secondary stability) to rest the old bones and to scout the rapids near Shubuta. This upper stretch has thousands of stumps, strainers, and deadfall in the water, and there was no difficulty in maneuvering the Osagian. A little downstream of Waynesboro the river became wider and much clearer of obstacles and I took my seat in the EZ-ROW and began forward rowing. Big bow wave all day long with relatively little effort.
I loved every minute in my new Osagian.

01-21-2011
Submitted by: RCSend Email

I spent several Summers canoeing the Missouri River National Recreation River near Ponca, NE with this canoe. I thought it was very stable. I bought it used in 1999 and paid $300 for it. They cost about $950 dollars new. I could easily sell it today for $300-$400.

It was much faster than the plastic Coleman canoes we were also using and it has better tracking. I recommend this canoe to beginners because it is inexpensive, durable, and stable. I would like to try a more expensive ABS canoe like a Mohawk Nova or Intrepid to see how much better they are. They are slightly lighter, 79 pounds vs. 72/76 pounds. I'm not sure an $1100 dollar canoe is considered a real canoe though.

05-03-2010
Submitted by: sbmSend Email

The only thing good about this canoe is stability. I mostly pole it. Everything else is sub par. It's horrible in the wind, a bear to carry after a long day on the water, and don't believe that it's durable. It dents way too easily. Aluminum also pits and becomes brittle with age. The tracking is horrible for a 17 foot boat even with the ugly keel. The keel makes it hard to pull over beaver damns and logs because it cuts into them like a knife. It's also one of the slowest canoes you'll encounter. The worst part is that once you use it you'll never be able to get more than 200 bucks for it.

My suggestion is to steer clear of this one and get a real canoe, and if you really need to save money then get a royalex Mohawk Nova or Intrepid. Both cost less. The Nova is much faster and the Intrepid is more stable. Both are more durable. And for the guy in the earlier review that said it was much too unstable, you might want to stay clear of canoes all together.

01-13-2006
Submitted by: JMSend Email

Apparently the guy who thought the canoe was tippy wasn't a real canoeist. The Osage 17' I own has side sponsons and it never tips! Doesn't weigh as much as my father's old Grumman. Dad has had a time with his keel leaking. I told him mine won't leak because it is all welded not taped like Grummans are. Haven't had any trouble with the pitting issue. Oxidation is a normal quality of aluminum. Just like rust on steel! You have to use a little bit of preventative measures to stop it. A little car wax and there is no problem, plus it slides over rocks and logs easier than a fiberglass canoe! Love the capacity of this canoe, Osage is all I will ever buy!

01-26-2004

I bought this caone acidentally because it was advertised in the newspaper as just an 18' aluminum canoe and I was loking for something bigger than my 15' grumman to take all my friends in. The guy brought it over to my house and it turned out to be the 17' Osage. He really wanted to sell it badly I gathered because it was too tippy for him and his girlfriend so he dropped the price and I bought it, but if I had to do it again I would have looked some more until I found another 18' aluminum and bought it instead. I figured it would be fast because it is narrow and long. It is that, however it is also VERY tippy. My 15' Grumman feels more stable but the Osage does moves faster through the water.

The weight on this tank is awful at 79lbs. so it doesn't get used much. But for going down creeks with lots of deadfall you can paddle right over most of it and not worry too much about punctures like I do when using my ultralight kevlar canoe. Being aluminum it's really tough and sitting on the ground upside down for several years hasn't hurt it a bit. An outfitter would love that part of it but it really is too darn heavy and tippy for my tastes. It was cheap at $350 and in new condition so I'm not complaining about that part a bit but there are better canoes out there although you might have to pay more for them, naturally. I think they have sponsoons available for them but I made an outrigger for it and that sovled the stability issue completely, you can't tip it over under normal conditions but then you have the hassle of transporting the outrigger with you and putting it on and taking it off later, also the outrigger does cause a little bit of drag. If I had waterfront property where I could leave it on all the time it wouldn't be an issue. For what it is, it is an OK canoe and it fit my budget at the time but if you are thinking of buying one it really isn't a great canoe and for the same money you could find a used Grumman that would be more stable and lighter. Comparing this to my Grumman, to be fair, the Osage has a welded seam down the center and a big "shoe" to protect it so it probably will never leak there. I live about a mile from the ocean so there is some salt in the air all the time here so I noticed the anodizing on the Osage isn't as good as the Grumman and shows more micro pitting inside even though the Grumman is 30 yrs. old. It isn't a bad canoe, but it's not great either, just sort of in between I guess so I give it a 5, but I gotta say that of all the canoes that I have owned in the past and do currently own this is at the bottom of the list, but then again if you never owned anything better you might really like it.

04-09-2002

As novices, we rented an Osage17 aluminum canoe with stability our main concern. We paddled the Topock Gorge of the Colorado River and felt secure even with both our children on-board. We rode over several significant wakes caused by motorized craft. The canoe looks and feels strong and durable. IMO the canoe was not easy to keep on track but that may have a lot to do with my paddling inexperience. Speed was hard to judge because of the current and headwind. The bottom line for me is that we got to our destination safe and dry and everyone had a good time- important factors for me as I lobby to purchase our own canoe.

09-13-2001

Good construction, easy to paddle. I've used it on quiet bayous and the lakes around Houston; and on the San Marcos river. Easily handles two adults and two children. It is a little on the heavy side... 79 lbs. The portage model should be easier to carry... only 65 lbs.