Product Reviews > Accessories > Bending Branches Journey (Discontinued) Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Bending Branches Journey (Discontinued)

Rated: 9.25/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

Bending Branches Logo
See Products from Bending Branches in the Buyers' Guide!
Bending Branches in the Buyers' Guide:
  • Rec Straight Canoe Paddle
  • Fishing Kayak Paddles
  • Slice Touring

12-08-2003

I have used the Journey for two years on flatwater and sea, both with a CLC Westriver and with a Feathercraft K2. The paddle is light and really beautifull. I like the smallish blades as I am quite prone to wrist problems. The catch is quiet, without splashing, and it does not flutter at all. The flat, ridgeless blade works beautifull for skulling and rolling.

Manufacturing quality of the wood is great, but the ferules have quite some play. Not enough to bother me, but it just should not be so. During a trip one came lose of the wood, so I had to switch to my spare paddle. It was easy to repair with epoxy, but this simply should not happen.

Conclusion: a great paddle, but somewhat lousy made ferules.

12-05-2003

I recently bought the Bending Branches Journey paddle to use for extended trips in my Necky Eskia. While I have only used it 4 times, the balance and feel is the best I have used. I previously had an aluminum paddle and now it acts as a spare. The look and finish are both beautiful and durable and the feathering option is a nice touch. I could spend alot more for a paddle but this one has met all my needs in a touring paddle.

05-01-2002
Submitted by: KlineSend Email

Excellent Paddle. Nice ferrels (unlike the sawyer) with both left and right feather options (good feature!). Don't buy the bigger bladed ones like the tailwind. For some reason the glue holding the ferrels to the wood failed on mine (water damage? hot garage?). But it was not hard to repair. Remember: Wood paddles need extra care (refinishing at least annually). However, nothing beats em for feel, flex and style. I paddle a glass Current Designs Caribou (skeg-less) which requires lots of interesting strokes on windy days. I have a fiberglass Werner paddle, but it rides the deck. The Journey is my first choice.

07-17-2001
Submitted by: BobSend Email

When I started paddling a year ago I purchased a Werner Camano to use with my light-touring kayak. This past spring I purchased a Bending Branches Journey to use with my Walden Scout. The first few strokes and I was hooked. I tried the Journey with my Cape Lookout. The Werner paddle is now my spare paddle. The Journey has a solid feel and absolutely no flutter. I can take the blade and bury it hard for those power strokes and sweep strokes. A little heavier than some fiberglass paddles but the ease of paddling is worth it. For the most part, I use a stiff arm, torso twisting technique that works very well for long sprints while touring. I've tried all brands and styles of paddles. The journey out performed all of the paddles in it's class. I'm hooked on this paddle and I give it a 10.