Product Reviews > Kayaks > Nigel Dennis Kayaks > Posedion Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Posedion Kayak by Nigel Dennis Kayaks

Rated: 8.33/10 Based On: 3 Reviews

03-28-2005
Submitted by: RonSend Email

I've waited, and used this kayak for a season to get a handle on its qualities, to give an opinion. I've found the Poseidon to be up to the task for anything I could possibly ask of it. I'm an intermediate paddler in the 210 lb range. Loaded for the weekend itís as stable a ship as anyone could ask, loaded, I've taken on 4 foot seas on Lake Superior, empty it makes a great play boat on any of the local lakes here in the Minneapolis area. Itís a good weekend boat, I don't think I could squeeze in a weeks worth of gear. But to be honest.. I don't have a backpacker's mentality, so you can take that for what its worth. It's not a fast boat, at 16 ft you paddle hard to keep up with most other boats in the same class, if I was to make a choice today I'd more than likely opt for the explorer version from NDK. Thatís not to detract from the Poseidon, but my own interest in a boat with more capacity, and speed.

05-11-2004
Submitted by: Colm SaundersSend Email

I'd agree with many of the previous comments in earlier reviews but would stress the lack of back support is a problem that needs to be addressed by the manufacturer. The boat is pretty sturdy overall but I did find it a little unstable for me, especially when not moving.

07-10-2001

The Poseidon fiberglass expedition grade lay-up is well done, typical of Nigel Dennis boats. The long keyhole cockpit is easy to enter and can be exited by a six-foot paddler by lifting out the legs with the butt planted firmly in the seat. Sitting on the deck aft of the cockpit prior to sliding in produces no disconcerting cracking sounds, unlike many other composite boats. The hull feels rigid and exhibits no oil canning. Well-placed thigh braces are comfortable for a 6 foot, 195 lb paddler. Hatches and fiberglass bulkheads are totally dry, with airtight covers actually becoming domed from thermal expansion as temperatures warm during the day. The properly equipped minimalist will find storage space adequate for weeklong trips.

On the water the Poseidon exhibits good primary stability and excellent secondary stability, and feels very solid on edge. Unloaded, it weathercocks slightly in a 10 - 15 knot crosswind. Tracking is easily maintained with the application of a slight amount of skeg. Fully loaded, the Poseidon tracks even better, requiring only slight edging to maintain course in winds up to 15 knots. In crosswinds greater than 15 knots, a slight amount of skeg keeps the fully loaded boat on track. Behavior in following seas is very predictable, with little inclination to broach.

The back band supplied with the Poseidon is positioned in a manner that provides inadequate lower back support to those paddlers requiring it. The back band needs to either be repositioned by the owner or replaced with a good aftermarket back band.

Overall, this is a very well designed, high-quality 16-foot, 2-inch sea kayak easily handled on and off the water. In spite of the shortcomings of the back band, I strongly recommend the Poseidon to the intermediate skill level paddler or to the ďadvanced noviceĒ committed to developing modest boat control skills.

Space Trailers :