Product Reviews > Kayaks > Impex Kayaks > Montauk Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Montauk Kayak by Impex Kayaks

Rated: 9.89/10 Based On: 9 Reviews

08-04-2014

If you are in the 130 to 180 pound range its hard to beat the Montauk. It has so many great qualities that it is hard to know where to start but here are just a few:
1. It tracks well and is fast for a 16' boat.
2. It handles great in rough water and you can carve turns nicely when edged..
3. It has lots of standard extras that are not just for looks (concave bulkhead empties nicely on rescues/ reflective decklines are great for night paddling/ handles are nice for toting/ rescue handles are safe for surf recovery or rescues/ Valley hatch covers float and seal great/ fair amount of storage w/ easy access).

If you want one boat that does a lot well (oh, it rolls nicely too) then get this one. The quality last a lifetime if you care for your Impex because it is built with pride.

12-08-2011
Submitted by: MASend Email

After 3 years I am still pleased with my Montauk. At first I thought it perhaps too stable, however I found in choppy and rough water it easy to move with the chop. I learned to roll in this kayak, others I have since rolled are not so easy. It was much easier to control in surf than other kayaks I had tried due to cockpit size. Its slim Swede bow may seem to have not enough volume, this feeling passes briefly as the flare in the front bow will smoothly get the bow to rise. I got a post purchase modification of moving the front bulkhead back, more storage and less water in the small volume cockpit. I don't want a sea kayak bigger than the Montauk, just one that can carry more. I can still do overnight trips and handling day to day is always easier with a smaller kayak.

08-02-2008

Most reviews here compare Impex (favorably) to less sophisticated boats so I'm going to reveal a big secret: there's not much difference between Impex and several similar marques. That isn't lukewarm praise. It's a terrific line with all the right features, intelligent design and seemingly excellent workmanship. Like Valley, like Necky, like (older) NDK, like CD, like P&H, like Boreal… The beautiful thing, though, is that Impex is made in Canada, distributed from NC. They make small hulls for slim paddlers, as do the Brits, but without the jaw-dropping exchange rate. Many North American boats are reasonable and available but built for bloated North Americans. They run from too big to ridiculously too big. There are exceptions that I would have jumped on if they had come up first, but it was a Montauk on craigslist, rather than an Avocet, Romany, Ellesmere, Chatham or Capella, so that's what came home.

Those are all topline boats. This is a topline boat. She won't win any races (at my mass that would take a pencil) but she's equivalent to the others with some extremely nice touches (carry handles! adorable! a locking loop! finally! bowed bulkheads! genius!), yet because of her modest price she's usually compared to boats nowhere close to her quality or performance. So let me just say this: She goes where you head her. (Equivalent to the others doesn't mean like the others. Montauk has quite a taut keel. Impex seems to think, and I agree, that with a waterline <4.5 m rocker isn't such an advantage.) She edges reasonably well, catches waves with aplomb, responds appropriately to the skeg but rarely needs it because the decks are low. She does everything well and has no discernible flaws. Best of all, she fits. I can get the Montauk down in the water where she belongs, even unladen, which is rare, and Montauk is not their least displacement. I'd also like to mention that while Impex offers a healthy range of sizes and styles, they do not offer a range of quality. They do not make plastic surrogates, they do not make cut-corner look-alikes. They make nothing but top-drawer, precisely designed, carefully engineered composite boats. If they make the shape you're looking for, I don't think you can do better.

They also offer wild color combinations. When you see mango yellow decks, burnt orange coaming and rails and a green hull, you can be pretty sure you're looking at an Impex.

03-10-2004

I've owned my Montauk for 3 years and couldn't be happier with my choice of boats. When it recently developed a small weak spot in the glass hull, I emailed Impex, and got an immediate response from Danny Mongno. Long story short, he took it back to the factory in NC, quickly fixed it, and then personally drove it back up to Connecticut...and even went for a paddle with us. Great boat, great customer service.

03-10-2004

I purchased the Montauk after 5 yrs. of owning a molded 10 ft.kayak (nice but I was ready to upgrade). I rented & tested several glass boats..the Montauk was by far the best in fit (I am a short, petite paddler), thigh braces, tracking, hatch size, turning etc. The 1st summer my husband & I went kayak camping - the Montauk hatches carried enough for 2 days with room to spare. I enthusiastically endorse this boat.

03-09-2004
Submitted by: rbeamishSend Email

The Montauk is a great boat! Excellent glass work, great design, paddles like a dream! Fantastic combination of primary/secondary stability and LARGE hatches. The best part about the Impex Montauk is their customer service. For example, I had a question about the footrests and emailed Impex on a Friday afternoon at 5:15. I not only got an email response shortly after, but I also received a phone call from the General Manager making sure everything was OK! They care and it shows!

08-18-2003

After owning and paddling the Montauk for a month, there are a number of features that convince me that I've made a superb purchase. Compared to other 16 foot glass boats in the same price range, Impex offers features the others do not:
  • easy access day hatchmetal bracket behind cockpit for locking boat
  • bow compass recess
  • adjustable foot braces while in cockpit
  • adjustable seat back while sitting
  • VCP rubber hatch covers silky smooth skeg control
  • enough rocker to turn but still track
  • fine quality glass and gel coat high end carrying handles
  • British design assists in dry paddle in heavy seas.
  • 49 pounds is better than plastic!
Handled a combo of winds, boat traffic, and strong current on a St. Lawrence River paddle yesterday-felt safe.

02-03-2003
Submitted by: d hyattSend Email

After hearing a friend of mine talk about what a thrill it is kayaking. Ill call him DB. I finally decided to buy a after much debate I purchased a impex montauk and werner carbon fiber camano paddle. I have found these to be excellent together and have enjoyed them very much. I would reccomend them to anybody. As my experiance grows I plan on moving up to more sophistacated equipment and gear. But I think it will be hard to top what I have started with. I would reccomend this combination to any novice.

05-29-2001

Wow this is one impressive kayak, greenland style, very dry, lots of attention to detail. from a recessed cockpit, all rigging, and hatch covers. grab handles at each end of the boat - unlike others. day hatch with seperate compartment, tracks exceptionaly well due to it's retractable skeg. Overall construction exceptional, no soft spots, super back brace, great seat - hatches are attached internally, thigh grips are a nice touch - a beautiful 16 footer - my girlfriend will not let me have it back!