Product Reviews > Canoes > We-no-nah Canoe > Voyager Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Voyager Canoe by We-no-nah Canoe

Rated: 9.64/10 Based On: 11 Reviews

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

04-14-2014
Submitted by: wraSend Email

I use it for early season training and extended river trips. It was great on the St. John River in Maine on multiple occasions and it handles Big Black and Big Rapid (III) loaded and dry. It doesn't turn on a dime for white water, but it goes fine if you pick your line and lean it to get around obstacles. Additionally, this is a fast boat that I am going to try against some OC-1 whitewater boats.

09-14-2012

I've had a Voyager for about 5 years, and love the canoe. I traded up from a Bell Magic (also great), because of the need for more capacity (4-legged companion and gear). I did raise the seat for more leverage, and didn't notice any initial stability problems with the c of g shift. I did have to make a cover for paddling on windy days by myself, but that's the only minor drawback.

04-03-2008

I have had my Voyager for about as long as anyone. I bought the first one sold (the second one built) and have paddled it a fair amount (as well as several other canoes) in the years since. I paddle it empty for day trips quite a bit, and find it handles a LOT better with a few gallons of water in a jug placed in the stern.

The real beauty of the voyager comes when paddling it loaded with gear though. Empty, it is a bit twitchy and my hips get a workout from the initial stability. The secondary stability is fantastic though. With a load in it, the Voyager settles in and is very comfortable and stable. It paddles just about as well, and doesn't get blown around any where near as bad as it does empty.

I don't really have any reservations about using it as a day paddler, but would choose my Advantage over it for that use. But when going for a trip the Voyager is an awesome solo craft. I paddle the Wisconsin River a couple times a year in it, often accompanying friends who are paddling my Sundowner 18. Granted, I am a stronger paddler than them, but I never have any trouble keeping up (in fact it's sometimes the other way around).

As a solo tripper, it's a 10. As an empty day paddler I would rate it an 8. The Voyager is very seaworthy and a lot of fun to play with in waves. I am very seriously considering a cover for it for windy days, but I don't like the idea of drilling it for snaps.

04-30-2007
Submitted by: MLSend Email

The ultimate solo canoe for people who want to cover a lot of water, perfect for Quetico/BWCAW or similar area, don't believe people who say a long boat is tough to turn, not so with this boat.

06-20-2005

I promised to report back on seaworthiness. Much of my paddling is in "kayak" waters off Vancouver Island and in the nearby Gulf Islands of British Columbia. I had paddled to a marine park on a smaller island and watched a group of kayakers land. They all seemed soaking wet even under their spray skirts and appeared to have had a rough time of it. I began to feel a little sheepish about being out in my open canoe. On the way back to my put-in I had following seas of estimated 2 to 3 feet height, trough to crest. Winds were probably 15+ mph because occasional white caps topped the crests. With waves on the quarter it took a strong stroke on the windward, wave side to keep the boat aligned. But with that stroke it surfed ahead with gratifying speed. I did revert to the old kneeling position to lower my centre of gravity during the worst of this crossing. When I landed and hauled the Voyager up on the beach I noted that my clothing was completely dry and although the stem and stern had been deeply immersed at some points, we had not shipped a drop of water. Mighty reassuring performance in real salt water conditions for a "lake boat".

06-15-2005

Postscript to my previous review. I had the seat lowered 2 inches and it has made a world of difference in stability. I have a very high CG (I am 6'6" tall). Saturday I had it in the roughest water yet - 1' - 1.5' whitecaps with a stiff quartering breeze and a few power boat wakes to keep it interesting. At times I felt like I was on a bull riding machine, but the boat didn't blink. I like it better every time I paddle it.

01-25-2005

I will just add some initial impressions. I have only had my boat a little while having bought it in December, (second hand but like new, Kevlar ultralight but with a gelcoat for an estimated weight of 43lbs). After playing ice breaker through 30 meters of shore ice, I was kept off the lakes for a bit by a freeze uncharacteristic of coastal British Columbia (Vancouver Island). Today I confirmed with a GPS the speed that immediately impresses. I can't go as fast as one of the previous reviewers with a GPS but I am relatively new to paddling (one year) and no longer young (60years). However, in kilometers I found a cruise of 6.5km/h to 7.0km/h was not too difficult. I think I saw 8.0km/h or even 8.5km/h once or twice. In an hour and twenty minute paddle I covered 9.1 kilometers or just under 7.0 km/h average (4.2mph). Not bad for an old man! This speed and distance really encourages me to look forward to overnight camping trips this coming summer. Gulf Islands, here I come. Powell River, Bowron Lakes? Maybe even the Inside Passage to Alaska? The possibilities are limitless. Maybe I will report back later on seaworthiness. I already have float bags to install and will be looking into spray covers.

04-19-2004

Ditto on everything already said. If you ever paddle in the wind , get a cover for this boat. It starts getting headstrong in a butterfly breeze. C2G said it best. In a wind, "it's like a dog after a rabbit".I was really getting exasperated after my first 2 outings with it , then the Cooke Custom Cover came. It completely changes the personality of the boat and you can put your energy into making it go fast instead of wondering if you will ever get back to where you started. Why the 10? It is a beautiful boat and exactly as advertised.

12-09-2002
Submitted by: K.F.Send Email

Ditto on everything already said. My evaluation is from fly fishing the BWCA. I base camp and fish at dawn and dusk for several hours. Yes, avoiding the wind. Wenonah advised me they thought the canoe would not be suitable for fly fishing. I love it. You can't stand in any solo canoe any way. Like I do in a tandem. To say it can keep up with an MN II for 10 miles might be pushing it for someone out of shape. No dought it's certainly the most efficient solo out there. I like traveling away from camp for good distances all week. Gliding back to camp with that incredible efficiency is what it all about. I would not recommend this canoe for a rookie going into a camping wilderness experience. You need to graduate from other solo first or it might feel unstable.

10-14-2002

The boat does exactly what Wenonah says it will. It tracks well, is very fast, is very seaworthy, and will haul a lot of gear. I've had 330 lbs. in mine and still covered miles at a very good pace. My only complaint about the boat is that it wants to turn into the wind, even if the wind is fairly light. If you use a long kayak paddle, you won't notice this as much. If you use a shorter bent shaft paddle, you will definitely find that the boat is hard to work with if there is much of a wind. This tendency seems to be much less obvious when paddling with a load, but is still there. Do I like the boat? Absolutely. The combination of speed and seaworthiness makes it fun to have. However, if I was going to spend a lot of time paddling in windy conditions, I might consider buying something different.

05-22-2001

When I first looked at this boat, I knew it was going to be fast. 7.5 m.p.h according to my GPS. Dip the paddle in the water and instantly go 4.5 mph. Start to paddle, and it jumps to 5.5 mph. A nice cruising speed will bring 6.5, and an all out blast will hold 7.5 m.p.h. for 30 seconds. All this in a shallow lake, at 5,300 feet elevation!

Stability!!! Normally when I hop into a racing boat, there is a balance game. Not here! I was out in 2' powerboat waves, and the boat was incredibly stable. I never needed to brace.

Extreme speed and awesome stability, what more could one ask for in a cruising solo canoe. The boat is not legal for racing (it is too narrow), but for getting out on the water, it is bliss!

Disadvantages? This boat was not designed for whitewater or tight rivers. It was made to go forward, and to carry some gear while doing it. My test boat had the seat frame moved too far to the rear, so that the seat was all the way forward to be slightly bow heavy when still, but a nice trim when underway. We-no-nah also put in their new "wide butt" plastic seats, which are comfortable for sitting, but do not allow for kneeling. I prefer the smaller Kevlar seats, so I can change paddling positions if my back is bugging me.

I think the best comment about this boat, was the smile I had on my face when I was keeping up with a great paddler, and he was in an Olympic K-1!

Piragis Northwoods Company
Free Shipping on New Canoes from Piragis Northwoods Company or pick up in Ely, MN and get $100 off