Product Reviews > Kayaks > Heritage Kayaks > Osprey Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Osprey Kayak by Heritage Kayaks

Rated: 7.67/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

Kayaks Image Kayaks Image Kayaks Image Kayaks Image

04-10-2006
Submitted by: HarriHikerSend Email

I've had my Osprey for 3 years now and I think it is a great boat. People who are not used to a sit on top or are just trying the boat out for the first time tend to label it "tippy". I find this to be untrue once you've been inside it for a good paddle. I have never capsized my Osprey and I can comfortably fish and move around in the boat. My only complaints would be the seat is not terribly comfortable but I think most of that problem lies in my choice of PFD and not the seat itself. Also, the track that secures the foot pegs has sharp edges, watch your calves. If you are looking into one of these boats I highly reccomend it. My only suggestion would be to spend the extra money on a good PFD designed for kayaking and also pick up a set of the Ocean Kayak paddle clips (they cost $12 and give you a very convenient place to stick your paddle).

09-16-2004

I have used my Osprey extensively and consider it a sturdy and well constructed kayak. It is fast, however while I have very good balance, its stability was very hard to get used to. Based on these two factors I would rate it higher except I do not like the lack of maneuverability. It is no more agile than my 17 foot canoe. Other than that it is a fine buy.

07-06-2004
Submitted by: luckyeddySend Email

I have had this kayak for the longest of any of the 6 that we own right now, and paddle it the most of any of them. I am 6'2" and have to pull outht e footpegs, but it is just right then, tracks good, stable enough to fish, easy to paddle moderate (4-5 miles) distances. Love it for the salt ponds in Rhode island that we paddle in.

01-03-2003
Submitted by: RBI,Jr.

My wife and I just finished our third season paddling a pair of Osprey kayaks. While they felt a slight bit tippy the first time we paddled them, we became very comfortable very quickly. We have paddled a variety of small ponds, lakes, and rivers in the Adirondacks and on Tug Hill and are very pleased with their all around performance. They are also a great boat for the money. We looked at a variety of boats and felt the Osprey performed much better than most all "entry-level" kayaks. It has even handled 4-5 foot waves on Oneida Lake with no problem at all. The newer version of the Osprey includes some features like side carry handles etc. that I wish ours had, but we still love our boats.

04-16-2002

Nicely designed for an "all round " rec kayak. However, a short test paddle convinced me that this was not the boat for my needs. Initial stability was lacking due to it's 24" waterline beam. 29" overall beam did stop the boat once it leaned. Still, it felt very "tippy" for this WS Pungo and Loon 138 owner. The Osprey is not idealy suited to a novice wanting it primarily as a fishing yak IMHO. I'd give it an 8 as an allround boat ( hatches leaked a bit and it did catch some wind)but a 6 as a fishing yak for the initial stability issue. Not sure I could ever get "comfortable" enough to concentrate on fishing out of it for long.

02-26-2001

My osprey has proven to be an excellent all around kayak.Despite heavy use it has held up well and handles very good in most water conditions. The osprey gets up to speed quickly and handles whitecaps with ease it is a joy to paddle my only complaints are that my hatch gaskets are tired and leaky and slight sideslipping in high wind. It is definetly a great boat and an outstanding value in a modest priced watercraft.I have already planned my vacation next summer,and which one of my boats do you think I am loading up?

Rendezvous River Sports