Product Reviews > Kayaks > Wilderness Systems > Chesapeake Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Chesapeake Kayak by Wilderness Systems

Rated: 9.6/10 Based On: 5 Reviews

08-09-2013

This yak is great. I use it on wilderness trips in the Adirondacks. I built a yoke for portaging from pond to pond. I modified it by removing the seat so I could slide my backpack under the rear deck. I added a lighter stadium seat which I remove at campsites to sit on.

This yak is great in streams, rivers and open water. I have paddled in windy conditions and it handles great! My only regret is they don't build them anymore!

04-17-2006
Submitted by: Barry LSend Email

I own two of these boats in fiberglass, one for my wife and one for myself, and love them both. I have taught many non paddles the basics in a very short time and they have enjoyed themselves quickly. Even my 12 year old grandson mastered the basics quickly and enjoyed going on lakes with me. Tracks wonderfully, very stable and user friendly.

10-06-2003

At age 65, features of lightweight Kevlar and ease of entering and exiting via the large cockpit were very appealing. I have been thoroughly enjoying the Chesapeake Pro several times a week for the last seven months on local lakes, ponds and primarily the Connecticut river in Massachusetts. This is a terrific performing, well designed and user friendly craft. I am ready to sell the canoe.

05-07-2001

I bought the Kevlar version. It is very light weight and is easily loaded on top of the car by one person. I use mine for fishing and it works great. It is very maneuverable and requires little effort to paddle. Not a good boat for rough water. Because the cockpit is so large you pick up alot of paddle drip. I bought a half skirt which eliminated the problem. It also works great as a shelf for fishing tackle and keeps your legs out of the weather.

01-29-2001
Submitted by: BarrySend Email

Lightweight fiberglass boat with large cockpit and opening. Very stable and good for beginner or intermediate. The boat is wonderful in lakes and fairly calm bays - it's fast, glides and tracks well. I don't think it would be terrific for open ocean, too short. it weighs 36 pounds and really easy for one person to handle. I get it on top of a van with no problem. The only complaint is the nature of a fiberglass boat, they're brittle and prone to scratch - but if you're careful in the water it's great.

Rendezvous River Sports