Product Reviews > Accessories > Lightning Ultralite Graphite Paddle Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Lightning Ultralite Graphite Paddle

Research Paddles in the Buyers' Guide!
Paddles
View Paddles in Buyers' Guide

07-01-2011
Submitted by: JoeSend Email

I have a lightning stick from ten years ago that is the best thing I have ever held on the river and the new stick came out last year. It is the worst thing I have ever guided with. When the order first arrived, five paddles went out, they all broke within two days. Every guide I have talked to since then has had nothing but problems DO NOT BUY UNTIL THEY BRING BACK THE OLD STYLE OF GUIDE STICK

09-25-2006
Submitted by: B JensenSend Email

I have a mixed review here in that I absolutely loved this paddle as far as gentle, lake kayaking was concerned.

But sadly I went kayaking in the ocean recently and tried to do get through some waves - I flipped over and was recovering my boat and still had my paddle in hand when a wave hit me and next thing I know I'm holding on to half a paddle. Now mind you I never abused this paddle and nothing but a wave hit it and it split. I emailed Lightening and they have been sold and there is no warranty or repair service at this time nor would it be warranted. Maybe that's right or not but when you spend $350 on a paddle one expects it to handle fairly well in mildly turbulent water. This was the first time I'd ever been in this kind of water and this paddle is not to be counted on for anything but flat water paddling.

04-26-2006

I have been paddling for quite a few years now and recently bought a Lightning UL paddle. I cannot say enough about how incredible this paddle is. I have tried a variety of paddles over the years and nothing even comes close to the way the Lightning paddle feels. Its so incredibly light that I feel like I can paddle for twice or three times as long as before. My other paddles now sit unused as I could never back to them, it would feel like trying to paddle with a baseball bat if I used anything other than a lightning UL. I would recommend that anyone looking to buy a paddle, spend the extra and get a Lightning. You will never go back.

I usually give less than perfect ratings as nothing is perfect but this paddle is perfection and deserves a 10.

02-28-2006

I have the U/L standard sea paddle and paddle high-angle style. Wow! What a terrific paddle this is! You don't quite realize how light it is until you paddle with it for a while and then switch paddles. Even other 'light' paddles feel heavy. If you haven't tried a lighning paddle, it's definitely worth a serious look. The one drawback is on windy days, I have to grip the shaft a little more tightly than I'm used to - otherwise the paddle is in danger of being blown out of my hands. It's simply that light.

11-10-2005

Believe the hype - the UL Lightning paddle is amazing. I have the standard touring shape that I paddle high-angle. Itís light, strong, and just feels perfect. Iíve had paddles from Bending Branches, Werner, Cadence, and a Pacific Design, and the Lightning is far and above the best. The blade is so thin that the entry is quiet and remarkably splash free, while the stroke is strong. I picked one up off of their 'bargain bin' for $195. Best kayak $$ Iíve spent yet!

08-27-2002

Lightning Sea Skimmer Ultra-Lite Carbon paddle. Extremely light, very strong and very maneuverable. Lightning has 'trimmed' the Sea Skimmer's blade length a little from last year and it makes a very good paddle an excellent paddle. Don't let those thin blades fool you - they are very strong and stable! Also, OUTSTANDING customer service! You can get the EXACT length feather angle and color(s) you want. Check out their website and look in the 'bargain bin' - super deals that won't be found anywhere else!

04-15-2002

Best paddle for a variety of kayaks and styles. Light, good blade surface, nice on the braces and a joy for acceleration. Well worth the money.

08-20-2001
Submitted by: Mike PredmoreSend Email

I own two of their paddles, the ultra-light carbon 2 piece and a light fiberglass 1 piece. They are both excellent paddles. The carbon is so light you can not trust it to be placed on the roof rack for a moment untethered. The wind will carry it off! It is almost 10 oz. less in weight than the fiberglass and the glass paddle is no slouch. I still use it when planning to be in the surf. Mariner kayaks offers a 3 year warranty on Lightning paddles if purchased from them and a 30 day money back guarantee.

11-30-2000
Submitted by: DRSend Email

Loveit! Love it! Love it!!! It's like not holding anything at all. It weighs nothing! I can paddle all day with one of these. Great blade shape. Clean entry with no splash or slapping noises. I've heard people complain that their (other brand) ultralite paddles had blade flutter. Maybe they should try a Lightning ultralite because I have yet to experience any flutter.