Product Reviews > Kayaks > Perception > Stikine Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Stikine Kayak by Perception

Rated: 9.78/10 Based On: 9 Reviews

03-02-2006
Submitted by: AaronSend Email

I bought this boat from friend two years ago. I still use it for everything. It creeks well. It even surfs well. I can't believe Perception discontinued it.

10-30-2005
Submitted by: JaySend Email

AWESOME BOAT!!! It is perfect for learning how to kayak. It is perfect for the experienced kayaker. It rolls better than any boat I ever had. I still regret having to sell mine a year ago. I heard from the new owner and he couldn't believe that it ever got discontinued.

08-11-2004
Submitted by: bkSend Email

This was my first boat. It is great for a bigenner. I was doing my rolls the first night in a swimming pool (with some good instruction of course). It is a very forgiving boat. It has gotten me out of trouble on several occasions. It is not great for surfing, but it can be done. It is very comfortable.

06-25-2004
Submitted by: ToddySend Email

Love this boat, can handle big white water with a boyant controlable ease. Fast for it's size, roomy and comfortable as all get out. Awesome stern storage. Strong plastic is hard to scratch or ding. Great for anyone. It is not a playboat "duh people" but it will surf so don't listen to the hype, I even bury the bow on waves lol. But really for playing I have a playboat. You really cannot knock the stikine it brings security to the most outrageous situations, it's the best expedition boat I can think of and should never have been discontinued. Did i mention it tracks wonderfully on flat water? Rolls fine if you can roll. So if you are looking at a stikine and it's in good shape BUY IT MAN, WOMAN OR CHILD! Out of 1-10 I give it an 11!

12-08-2003
Submitted by: BobSend Email

I am a class 4 white water kayaker, but I do a lot of flat water kayaking, and I just love my Stikine for the flat water. I cruise along in lakes at about 4 miles per hour. I'm a hunter and fisherman, and I bring a lot of gear, and the stikine is great for that. I read one post that said you can't surf in a Stikine, but I found a small wave on a river a class 1 river I was exploring and I surfed it just fine. I was even carving back and forth. Today, I was thinking about taking it down the Lochsa this spring to see how it handles. I originally bought this boat for multi-day self contained white water trips, but I never used it for that purpose and it just sat unused for about 2 years, but now I take it out all the time for my flat water hunting and fishing trips. I just don't have any negative things to say about it. Granted, if I go to a destination play hole, I'll leave the Stikine at home and take my play boat.

09-15-2003
Submitted by: cstork

Very stable river runner. Easy to roll. Lots of leg room and comfortable cockpit. Great beginner boat. I think this boat is similar to the Dagger RPM but without the flat back that can cause problems on big water. The boat is designed for very big water--Stikine is a big water challenging river in Alaska. I found the boat works fine on moderate creeks. It doesn't turn that sharp for catching small eddies. It is on the heavy side. It doesn't surf at all.

05-28-2001
Submitted by: PBSend Email

My brother just recently purchased a Stikine, and I have paddled it in surf and class iii water, and also back creeks of east Texas. I think for its' intended purpose it is a great boat. I wish Perception had kept part of its' Corsica line, seems now all major kayak companies are concentrating on the rodeo play boats, and not a boat for the 200-240 lb person who still likes to get out in the big stuff too. But if you want a storage boat with crossover potential, it is exellent. As soon as I sell one of my other boats, this is what I will get. You won't be disapointed. It will make a good compliment to my Necky sea kayak as a good all around creek water/bigwater boat.

11-19-2000
Submitted by: CBSend Email

Ok, in all fairness this boat was designed to do one thing...be packed with tons of equipment and go down big water. Other than that, it's just a big overgrown pig to use for everyday paddling. It does not roll well, has way too much volume and handles like a barge. Please just get it for it's intended purpose.

10-23-2000

Let me say first that I am new (1st year) and this is my 1st boat. I have had this boat for several months and it was exactly what I was looking for! It was a very easy boat to learn in and is a boat that will handle big water as my skills progress. Got plenty of room in the back for storage (sleeping bag/ tent)and handles well! I get lots of compliments. Not a good playboat though (not designed to be). I couldn't be happier with my Stikine and if you are looking for a good down river boat or creek boat, I would highly recomend.

Rendezvous River Sports
Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!

Suspenz: