Product Reviews > Kayaks > Hobie Cat Company > Maui Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Maui Kayak by Hobie Cat Company

Rated: 8.71/10 Based On: 7 Reviews

07-30-2013

The Maui is a good solid kayak. One of my favorite kayaks is my Hobie Pursuit, and I had an opportunity to paddle a friend's Maui. My initial impression of the Maui is that it was very similar to my Pursuit, only shorter, wider, and a little heavier. The extra width and weight made the kayak more stable than the Pursuit (which many reviews complained about), but it also reduced the speed of the kayak. But it seems that most people tend to prefer the stability to the slight loss of speed.

The Maui also has a great stern cargo area. We were doing field research, collecting crabs, and were able to fit all of our gear and have access to it while sitting. (plastic milk crates work well for organizing gear.) The hull shape of the Maui lends itself to some hull slap it the water is anything but a mirror surface.

I should also note that the Maui I paddled was old, had been used and abused, and took on water. So I imagine that the excess water weight I carried in the hull didn't help the perceived slowness of the kayak.

All in all, the Hobie is a good solid kayak I would recommend it those looking to get into the sport of kayaking.

02-09-2010
Submitted by: Maui Rider in PCBSend Email

Just got a Hobie Maui. I was nervous at first that it might not hold me (6 foot, 205 pounds), but it holds fine. It does fill up with a little water when I take it out, but nothing too bad. I took it out into the Gulf of Mexico yesterday, it rode fine through the waves. I even packed a tackle box (Yak Pak) with a fishing pole and went fishing. Had three dolphins swim 15 yards away next to me.

I would definitely recommend the Hobie Maui for whatever you want to do.

Pros:
  • Cheaper
  • Lighter
  • Fairly Long
  • Cargo room

Cons:

• You get wet from the waist down
  • For someone my weight, it sometimes is tricky trying to move in the kayak

12-22-2004

My wife and I purchased both a Maui and a Mirage for use on Tampa Bay. I was very happy with how well the Maui handles. It is very stable and reasonably quick. Light chop and 2-3 foot waves are no problem except when you are taking them broadside. While the open cargo area in back is handy anything there will get wet. The only thing is that it is a little heavy for one person to load on a cartop carrier. Overall it is an excellent kayak for a beginner or an experienced paddler.

03-15-2004
Submitted by: MattSend Email

I am giving the Maui a 10. I love this Kayak for its versatility. My fiancé and myself do a lot of Kayaking in the Connecticut River basin. There can be a lot of boat wake and tough currents during the tide changes. The Maui remains very stable, and my fiancé who can one in a while be a little intimidated by unstable conditions has grown very confident on this kayak.

With a few dry sacks you can bring anything with you. With a few folding chairs and a cooler, we basically Kayak so that we may find beaches that others can’t get too. But we also take full day trips as well, and these boats prove they are very tough. This Summer I will fish off of mine. That review will come later.

09-02-2003
Submitted by: GCWSend Email

I have rented different kayaks, trying to fine what I feel is a great kayak for the 1st time kayaker and for the experienced kayaker. This is the kayak for YOU. I can not roll in it and I weight 250 lbs and I am 6 ft tall. Also it is easy to control and is good in wind and wave action. Very Safe.

Draw-Backs, your going to get wet, how wet is your choice. All SOT kayaks, your going to get wet. Also I noticed about a cup of water each time in the body of the kayak when I am out. I have had this problem also with other kayaks. For a safe,fun and yet well controlable easy to paddle kayak, You can not beat this Hobie Maui for value and Quality. Go get on, You will not regret it.

01-16-2002
Submitted by: DWSend Email

My son and I rented Ocean Kayak Scrambler and Hobie Mauis for a couple of years before buying a Maui. We felt the boat was a little more comfortable than the Scrambler. We have taken this boat in the bay, surf them constantly, and have had them in 1+ level whitewater. I love this boat! In the surf it tends to follow the line you put it into and turns are nearly impossible. As an all purpose boat it fit the bill. I added thigh straps and we both have backrests. Because it is plastic we have no concerns when we are out at San Onofre or in the Channel Islands. As we grow, we have added Wave Sport and Riot to the stable. I intend to add a touring boat, perhaps next year. The only way to replace my Maui is with two boats, one exclusively for surf and another for touring and camping. Until I have that much money, the Maui is for me.

09-11-2000

This is a very stable and versatile boat. It's not as sleek, long or as fast as the Hobie Pursuit but handles itself well in the ocean and bay and smaller river and lakes. It has more open cargo space (perfect for a small cooler). It's a great sit on top for a beginning paddler and those wishing to do recreational paddling . I wouldn't recommend this boat if you want to do any type of distance paddling but because of it's smaller size, is great for paddling smaller creeks and narrow rivers.

Rendezvous River Sports