Product Reviews > Kayaks > Northwest Kayaks, Inc. > Cadence LP Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Cadence LP Kayak by Northwest Kayaks, Inc.

08-04-2014
Submitted by: CJSend Email

I needed a light weight kayak that I could kayak with my 60lbs lab who is my service dog. I had been kayaking with my dog since I started kayaking but as my lupus has gotten worst I was having problems get my heavier kayak to the water and a tandem kayak is harder to paddle.

I talked to Tony at NWK about it, he suggested a Cadence. He made it out of carbon for lowest weight. he found out where my legs went then put a buck head a few inches from my feet. he than cut a small area for my dog with another buck head.

I have had the custom kayak for a year now, it's very stable have taken it in lakes, rivers and the sound. I had 2-3 foot waves and it handle it well. The kayak weights less than 40lbs so it easier to get to the water. it also is so much easier to paddle than my old kayak. Because it is stable with my dog it was recommended for me to put weight in the dogs area if she wasn't in it. I had asked other kayak companies about making a kayak that would be stable with my dog in front of me so I could keep an eye on her and was told it couldn't be done. After using my kayak under different conditions my dog can sit-up or lay down...

05-01-2009

In my first kayaking classes, I had been using Northwest Kayaks and really liked them so when it came time to shop for a used one, I was happy to find the Cadence LP (not a lot of NW Kayaks are in the market). It's very stable and well constructed. I live/work not too far from the NW Kayaks facility so I was able to get them to replace the old gravity drop rudder with their newer one (so I can now lock it and be able to push on the foot pedals).

10-09-2000

I bought the boat used a few years ago and have gotten a lot of good use from it. It's a great all-purpose sea kayak and is especially well suited for camping since it holds a huge amount of gear. It likes to be loaded down and seems to go faster in that condition. It also seems to be faster with the rudder down which is exactly the opposite of what I've experienced with other boats. I attribute this to the effect of the large rudder in eliminating yaw, which has more effect on boats with this hull shape. The nearly flat shallow V and semi-hard chines give the boat excellent tracking but produce a funny little dance in chop due to the initial stability. I do love this boat and intend to keep it as long as it holds together. I am looking for a narrower faster boat for day trips.

09-05-2000
Submitted by: DRSend Email

This boat is fairly fast. It seems to glide along easily. It's very comfortable and VERY well made. The LP model has a lower profile than the standard Cadence which is exactly what I wanted. The only thing I don't care for is the large gravity drop rudder which when not in use has no provision to lock the footpegs from moving. I contacted Northwest about this but it looks like I'll have to come up with something on my own.