Product Reviews > Kayaks > Boreal Design > Inukshuk Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Inukshuk Kayak by Boreal Design

Rated: 8.91/10 Based On: 11 Reviews

Inukshuk Kayak by Boreal Design

Length: 17' 0" - Width: 23.50" - Starting at: $1599.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Boreal Design Logo

07-03-2014
Submitted by: Nico VertriestSend Email

I tried several plastic sea kayaks before buying my Inukshuk. I absolutely love it. Its initial and secondary stability are outstanding, so it cannot pose problems for beginning sea kayakers. It behaves very well in very troubled waters, and big waves. In the beginning these situations frightened me, but I just waited and let the kayak do its natural way of reacting to big waves. I am a beginning kayaker. Until now I have paddled a little more than 300 km, some in very troubled waters on the Oslo fjord, the Aurland fjord and the Nærøyfjord. I have trust in this kayak and will keep on using it for many more years.

One negative point: after about 100 km the rudderline on the left snapped. That was due to a metal bushing in the kayak that had a slit on the bottom, that cut in the rudder line on each movement. I twisted the bushing about 180 degrees, and replaced the rudder line. Problem solved. One other thing: the way the rope is connected to each side of the rudder is a bit sloppy. It connects directly to a bolt around which it is fixed. This introduces wear and friction, something that can be avoided by a connector with a hinge. I bought 2 for less than 5 euro.

08-17-2011
Submitted by:

I am a very pleased owner, the only two times I've been wet have been my doing, both on the beach, broad side, one landing one launch. The maneuverability is dependent on paddle skill, draws and sweeps let me explore BC's upper sunshine coast with confidence, sea caves barnacle beaches, sunkers and all!

The 8 rating is because there is no 10, and I'm not 100% on the back rest. As for speed, it's not a sprinter, but comes to hull speed well, and is easy to maintain, my Inukshuks will stay in my quiver, I really can't see a reason to ever part with the part until I part with all.

07-16-2009
Submitted by: Dave KSend Email

Just purchased a used Inukshuk, and so far performance has been better than expected. I am 6'1", 220 lbs. and the boat is surprisingly comfortable and roomy compared to how sleek it looks in the water. I recently tested a bunch of plastic and composite boats at an open water event, and while I loved the speed of some of the lighter boats like the (Eddie Line) they were a LOT more tippy. I have never rolled a kayak accidentally, and because I kayak in CT 12 months a year (weather permitting) really don't want to.

The Inukshuk seems a LOT more stable than any of the high-end boats tested... and once under way seemed to glide along at a pretty good pace. It also handles white-cap waves on the CT river with ease while keeping me dry (something my 13' Dagger didn't do).

I agree with previous comments that the design, fit and finish are a step above common plastic boats. And because I beach the thing and drag it in sand gravel, sticks, etc, the forgiving plastic just makes more sense. It also turns pretty well with the rudder (which I didn't think I would like but now love) One caveat - the delrin block on my rudder broke, so I wrote to the company with hopes of getting a replacement (epoxy didn't do the trick). Other than that glitch, I think the boat is hard to beat for the price. A sensible, roomy, safe boat that gets a lot of compliments.

01-13-2009
Submitted by: RTSSend Email

I've been paddling for close to 10 years now, and while I agree with many of the reviewers when they say that the Inukshuk has great secondary stability, I don't think the initial stability is there. Even after two months of paddling in it, I wasn't comfortable with the "tippiness" of it -- it takes some getting used to. Then again, I'm used to the stability of a Necky Kyook.

Also, I found that at 6'1 and 215 lbs., I didn't have the comfort I would have liked. A wider cockpit and maybe an added inch to the overall width of this boat would be great assets.

A very fast boat with great tracking and lots of room for gear. The upswept bow is a great feature for cutting through the waves, as well.

12-31-2007
Submitted by: LG MAC

I have been paddling my Inukshuk for 3 years now. I am very pleased with its performance. I have paddled in many waterways, Gulf of St. Lawrence, Chedabucto Bay, Bras dor Lakes and small rivers. Every paddling condition I have experienced in my boat exceeded my expectations.There may be faster boats out there but I assure you, those fast boats will be heading for shore while I'm playing in the waves, with little fear of tipping. The only weak point for the Inukshuk is that it is a little sluggish when turning. Overall, the boat will carry lots of gear, the hatches stay dry, the seat is very comfortable with an adjustable backrest, it is fast enough and most of all it is very stable.

03-19-2007

This is the third year I've paddled my I-Boat and am still in love with it. It has taken me places most folks would not dare go - such as oyster beds, limestone beaches and (quite by accident) in 40 KT winds and 6 FT swells. It has always tracked well and been very responsive to my commands. For camping or extended trips you can put everything you'll need in the two hatch areas - including a small kitchen sink.

It is a sturdy product backed by outstanding service. Just last week the Delrin Block on the rudder cracked and I had FREE replacement in the mail before the week was out.

My next 'yak will be another Boreal.

09-08-2005
Submitted by: Jon English

I have paddled the Inukshuk several times and I like it so much that I am going to buy the one I rented when it becomes available. I found the boat to have excellent initial stability. I haven't been out in really angry water yet to check the secondary stability, but I have leaned the boat far enough over to get water in the hatch without a capsize. I found the boat to be very, very fast. It turns well while carving, and like a car with the rudder. The rudder action is smooth and the pedals adjust well. I paddled many other boats before picking this one including the fjord, WS Tempest, WS Cape Horn, Necky Looksha, and one other Necky 17' whose name I can't recall. The only one that I liked nearly as much was the Cape Horn.

06-26-2001

I am an experienced paddler, but in touring canoes, on all kinds of waters. I wanted to go to a kayak for coastal paddling , singlehanded. Test paddled an Inukshuk last year, and loved it! Was amazed by the initial stability...the only kayak I had paddled previously was a Perception Eclipse, which had felt very tender at first. I have to admit I wasn't in the Inukshuk all that long, and only in a quiet canal, so performance was not thoroughly tested. But what I DID see was this: The boat had great secondary stability, too. It did not accelerate quickly but seemed to be fast once it got going. It required a deal of space to turn...probably because of the lack of rocke that I like so much for efficiency purposes. It carried well between stokes and handled easily.

The cockpit was easy to enter and exit...significant as I am 6'2" and 240lbs! It was VERY comfortable...seat, bracing, foot pegs, everything! The pegs are easy to adjust while underway, something I haven't seen in another boat, before or since. The rudder operated smoothly and easily...again not all that common.

Fit and finish are good, with a lot of features you wouldn't expect of an inexpensive boat. I can't tell you how dry she may be, but I suspect that won't be a problem. But I didn't care for her looks...she just didn't have that sleek, seagoing appearance...mt impression only. Yours may be different. And she didn't feel lively to me. A solid, dependable boat, but not exciting. I may have made a mistake, but I passed her up in favor of the more lively Eclipse. Just a matter of personal priorities. I may just get back to her someday...

06-19-2001

We just purchased 2 Inukshuks last week and love them. I have to agree with both Alan and ExploreVTLakes with their comments. We are both new to the sport. We live on Lake Superior so we had a lot of choices in choosing kayaks from many dealers around the area. They have very comfortable seating. These kayaks just caught our attention more than the competitors. Lastly, I feel good about supporting a smaller company with an extremely well built product.

08-24-2000

I purchased two of these 17' plastic boats this Spring and I feel this is one of the most attractive, full featured plastic boats out there. My wife and I find the boats perform extremely well. I previously owned a 16' plastic Boreal Muktuk, a good beginner boat. I love the handling of the 17' Boreal Alvik in fiberglass, but the Inukshuk was much more affordable x 2. The boats track extremely well and are relatively fast. With a slight lean, I am able to maneuver the boat nicely in a turn, without the rudder. I find Boreal to be more concious of the finer details than many plastic boat manufacturers. This is a super, reasonably priced, well constructed plastic kayak.

08-03-2000
Submitted by: AlanSend Email

Just bought the Inukshuk, and have tried many plastic boats. None have the features and craftmanship/price that the Inukshuk have. On the water it has good initial stability and good secondary stability. Tracking is good, and is excellent in windy conditions with the rudder down. The seat is high and very comfy, the foot braces are a breeze to adjust on the water. Storage is very good and the hatches seem very waterproof(I was out in very choppy conditions) This is my first boat(I have rented many others) and I opted for plastic due to its toughness and the fact that all my launching is done in very rocky conditions. Until my learning curve is flattened a bit,I need the toughness. I'm giving it a 9 because it is heavy and not as sweet to paddle as a composite boat.......next one.