Product Reviews > Kayaks > Mega > Diamante Rapide Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Diamante Rapide Kayak by Mega

11-06-2009

While in Crystal River last week a friend gave me a Mega Rapide. First impressions were:
well-built, exterior wise the Gel-Coat flawless will take getting used to. The interior is nicely finished, through-bolts capped and covered. A nice large cockpit easy to enter and exit with an all day comfortable seat. Toggles should be at the ends, not a foot back. The skeg slider is easy to handle and works well although the boat does not weathercock.

Strong initial and secondary stability. Tracking is decent, though not great. Turning is quick with edging not necessary. An additional plus is you do not see one of these often. This is a good boat for photography, fishing, or just pain enjoying the water. I do think that an advanced paddler might not find it too exciting.

07-31-2000
Submitted by: Roger BissSend Email

Mega Kayaks are unknown up here, but are an English import. My Rapide is very british with a retractable skeg instead of a rudder. I'm enough of a snob that I think I can paddle a kayak without a rudder. I find the skeg eliminates the hassels of a rudder, but gives the performance in following and crossing winds that make this boat a pure pleasure to paddle. I bought it on the recommendation a friend, without ever sitting in it in the water. I took it to Acadia and paddled in a variety of conditions including a 20knot wind. I could find no faults with the boat. Best of all it has a swirl blue deck that looks great. The price was right also at about what most people are paying for plastic boats. Oh I forgot to mention the two hatches are easy to use and superbly water tight.