Product Reviews > Canoes > Mad River Canoe > Outrage Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Outrage Canoe by Mad River Canoe

Rated: 9.3/10 Based On: 10 Reviews

Outrage Canoe by Mad River Canoe

Length: ' " - Starting at: $
See More Details about this Canoe
Mad River Canoe Logo

07-02-2014

Have paddled the Outrage for over 10 yrs now from NOC in NC to MKC in Ont. still an intermediate paddler because I don't get there enough, BUT this boat has handled everything I've asked it to and still looks great. Plus when I'm in it its an Outrage! Wish I had another one to loan to my buddies...

03-10-2008
Submitted by: MikeSSend Email

Love the boat, incredible secondary stability. playful feel without the edginess. Light weight with wood . Bought a new one in august 07 after not being able to find a used one. I'm 192 lb. and the boat is fine... others recommended not to get the x unless you were over 220.

07-24-2007
Submitted by: Tyler J.Send Email

I'm 13 and have been paddling my whole life and the Outrage was the first boat I got and it is the best boat for whitewater. I think it's easy to roll and it's fun to ride. It's stable and exciting.

10-05-2006

I've paddled xl13 horizon 15 and other boats as well but I love my outrage more than anything else its surfs great its a great creeker and river runner its perfect.

03-22-2005

I have been paddling for many years. Started kayaking with them old Perception Dancers, but I started open canoeing 7 years ago. I since have tried many boats. From the new designs of Esquif to the very old ones of Blue Hole, Whitesell... Last year I decided to buy and Outrage after reading all the reviews on the net and never ever finding a review with something negative. Even if the design is old by today's standard it is still one of the best openboats out there. I've taken my Outrage on everything from canoe tripping to class V. It surfs well, tracks well, catches eddies and peels out like a king, jumps waterfalls... it does it all. I love this boat and so do all my buddies who have... the latest openboat design.

03-06-2005
Submitted by: Jon Hall

The only reason I wouldn't give the Outrage a 10 is that it would leave no margin for a better boat...which will surely come someday! I have paddled just about everything out there except for the new boat from Bell. I have used the Outrage on the upper White Salmon and Wind River in Washington...and others (mind you I picked my water levels!)...the boat just "fits" me...I love its "feel"...and am quite comfortable in it for drops and rapids alike. I bought mine (or rather...Murray Johnson bought one for himself and one for me) quite used...the weight is good...I got to outfit it the way I wanted...it's as easy to roll as anything out there for an open boat...but primarily, I just really like it's dryness (comparatively to any open boat) and it's handling. And no--it's not for sale!

12-10-2001

I found a used OutrageX that I am very happy with. I moved up from a smaller Dagger WW playboat (Ovation) that was simply too small for me (225 lbs.). The X model is basically similar to the regular Outrage with one foot greater length. It is advertised for paddlers over 190 pounds. Compared to the smaller playboats, the Outrage feels much more secure (less edgy), and tracks better for an intermediate paddler like me. If you are a big person I would definitly consider finding a boat that suits "persons of great substance." The only thing I don't like about my OutrageX is the wood gunwales. I have always had aluminum or vinyl and don't like the bother of winter maintence and re-treating needed for wood. Wood is an extra cost option that I wouldn't order. Oh yeah, the cost for a new boat is too steep, but since I got lucky and found a used one it worked out.

10-08-2000
Submitted by: Tom TaylorSend Email

I was paddling C1s but I wanted an open boat. Problem was the C1s spoiled me. My new boat had to be quick and nimble. Most boats I tried felt like marshmallows. Until I got my roylex Outrage. The boat spins like a top and carves like Gretzky's skates. It rolls easily but, like any open boat, comes up full of water. The only reason I gave it a 9 is that I once got to paddle co-designer Tom Foster's glass Outrage. That was an 11.

07-31-2000

After trying someones MR Outrage on a recent outing, I just had to have one! It is a beautiful little boat that just seems to do everything effortlessly. I have a Mohawk XL-13 that I use for river running, and a Dagger Ocoee WW play boat. The Outrage is much lighter, more comfortable and dryer than the XL-13, and as maneuverable as the Ocoee, but way easier to paddle. An added bonus is that I'll have more room in the shed after I sell the old plastic!

05-31-2000

A narrow width whitewater play design from Jim henry and likely someone else, the Outrage is the finest solo whitewater canoe I've ever paddled. Perhaps slightly jittery forthe complete novice, if you have intermediate or better paddling skills, this needs to be your next solo boat if you are under 200#.

It has the speed not found in other 12 whitewater boats, itturns as fast as you would ever need to in Class IV water, it's secondary stabilty is outstanding, and it's narrow profile allows you those effortless cross over strokes the short armed and limber-challeneged folks have been seeking. The workmanship on my boat is first rate as in all their other designs, and I would recommend it to anyonee wanting to push their skills to the next level. I teach out of mine, I race it in the recreational class slaloms in the area, if I ever wear it out, another will replace it! You can normally judge how popular a boat design is by how many show up on the used boat billboards and in the newspapers. Try and find a used Outrage anywhere. If you desire to sell yours, I have a long list of folks waiting one!!

I'd say something negative if there were anything to complain about. It's a close to a perfect solo whitewater canoe as has ever been made. BTW, for those of you over 200#, try the Outrage X!!

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!
Rendezvous River Sports