Product Reviews > Kayaks > Wilderness Systems > Tchaika Pro Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Tchaika Pro Kayak by Wilderness Systems

Rated: 8.71/10 Based On: 7 Reviews

06-20-2009
Submitted by: szSend Email

A beautiful, light boat. I have the fiberglass lay up with deep teal deck, purple seam line, white hull. A joy to paddle with little wind. Weathercocks badly in a following wind. Perhaps could benefit from a skeg or fixed rudder. Great secondary stability, nice low deck.

At 5'2" and 110lbs., the Tschaika fit me with just a bit of adaptation. I drilled holes to move the seat forward about 2", and then could reach the foot pedals. Moving the seat up also allows me to lock in to the non-adjustable thigh hooks. Now I am really "at one" with the boat, and love it.

03-24-2008
Submitted by: SeaPaddlerSend Email

Gorgeous little boat. Fast, light, maneuverable, tracks well, easy to roll. The perfect size for weekend camping for smallish women (I'm 5'6", 130). This is the first boat I've bought that was the right size for me, and I'm never going back...

01-20-2003

Not a bad boat for its length. Tracks poorly, has good speed. Layup is poor with trademark stress cracks on the kevlar hull even on a new boat. Having owned Mad River boats with high quality the merger with Wilderness Systems is not encouraging. Buy the plastic Picollo and save your money.

02-01-2002

Very fast for a small boat. At 5'8" and heavier than I want to be it is a tight fit getting in and out. Also, the extra weight makes it necessary to add an extra weight in the bow for proper balance. It is really built for the slender paddler.

07-06-2000
Submitted by: Vickie

I love this boat! I fell in love when I first tried it out. It's my 4th kayak (you can never have too many?) I'm small (5'2") yet I am able to carry it on my shoulder, even though it weighs 40#+. It fits like a glove. I've used it in twisty Florida wilderness rivers and rough waves in open water. It is amazingly fast, tracks like a arrow and stable, turns on a dime. I haven't camped in it yet. (I backpack, so hopefully my downsized stuff may fit.)It is my favorite and most used boat.

05-06-2000
Submitted by: RM

Great boat for smaller paddlers. Very fast for a 14ft. Handles waves well, floats like a cork. Get it with a rudder if your not yet good at edging for course corrections. I always see smller paddlers in too much boat. This one will do everything the bigger boats will do except carry a lot of gear.

04-27-2000
Submitted by: GGH

GREAT BOAT! (Give it a 9, but don't thing that there is a '10' boat). This 14' is faster than any plastic 16' or 17' that I've paddled. I'm 5'9 155# and it's a good fit -- most of the bigger cockpits swallow me and I can't quickly lean them. I've got some lifting issues and this one in Kevlar comes out to 34#, yep 34. It's classified 'Light Touring' due to storage, (just a back hatch). Great for tight rivers as well as ocean -- an incredible all arounder if you can fit.

Rendezvous River Sports