Product Reviews > Kayaks > Chesapeake Light Craft > Mill Creek 15 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Mill Creek 15 Kayak by Chesapeake Light Craft

Rated: 8.25/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

04-13-2007

I built my first Mill Creek 15 from plans in 2002 and quickly did another. This is one tough boat. While you do need to keep your center of grav down if boat is unloaded. Put your gear in for a 4 day 3 night paddle and it is like a rock. I even take firewood along in the fall when it gets wet outside. I have paddled over 300 miles in this baby and it serves me well. I have rigged a spray skirt and have seen some rollers and breaking whitecaps - it handles them well. Open water crossing of 2-3 mile in stormy conditions make you pay attention but it does just great. When paddling in quartering waves or wind it can be a lot of work because of weathercocking, but you just have to keep going. My paddling buddy is faster in his "tupperware" 17 with rudder, but he never brings firewood or extra beverages. I LIKE this boat!

09-09-2003

I built the Mill Creek 15 as a more user friendly alternative to solo paddling a 16 ft canoe in the various wind and water conditions I encounter on Ohio reservoirs, sheltered areas of Georgian Bay, and the lakes of Algonquin Provincial Park. I've used the boat for about 3 months. To maintain the classic look of the boat I modified the slat seat, lowered the bottom and took some of the curve out of the back. With that modification plus the use of a camp chair the boat is stable and comfortable for all day paddling. The boat is fast enough to be fun and once you're used to it stable enough for birding and fishing.

03-11-2002
Submitted by: CharlieSend Email

This is a sturdy boat, ideal for beaching and rough handling with the 6mm thick bottom. The boat looks beautiful varnished and is fast for a 15 ft. There are some problems with the boat. The boat is quite unstable with the flat narrow bottom. A wider bottom of about 2 in. would really help the stability. I have 5 kayaks (3 CLC designs) and rate this the tippyist. Waves over 12 in. will flood the boat. It is for flatwater only. The biggest problem is the slat seat. Don't even order it.....I drop-kicked mine into the path of a bus after I almost capsized in calm water. The centre of gravity is too high with this seat. I use a camp chair that works great. The foam pad with back type. The boat does not turn well....even my CLC 18 turns better. Winding creeks are a lot of work to turn.

04-26-2000
Submitted by: RCSend Email

Excellent flat water boat, kit was easy to build and the result was a lot of compliments for the finished product. My interest was for lake exploration and protected inshore areas. This boat excels in this use. Paddles fast with very little effort, only exercise is in taking it off the car and putting it back on. Finished boat is in the 45 - 55 pound range. Mill Creek likes to go in a straight line, if manuverability is desired a rudder is a good idea.

Pelican Intl.: