Product Reviews > Kayaks > American Eagle > Freedom Voyager Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Freedom Voyager Kayak by American Eagle

Rated: 9.5/10 Based On: 2 Reviews

09-26-2005

Itís been over five years since I first wrote a review on this boat so itís time for an update. A generally great all around kayak. The oval shaped bottom performs like some surfing kayaks and it still can make the twists and turns of the many Florida rivers. The fixed rudder (skeg) that is molded into the bottom of the boat makes for excellent tracking on windy days. It handles rough water in the Atlantic Ocean or Gulf of Mexico and does well in the surf and paddles through wind and chop with ease. Every time I lift the kayak on top of my Van I appreciate the fiberglass hull that allows a 16í kayak to only weigh in at 50 lbs and you can still buy this kayak for around what you would pay for a plastic boat. River or open water this kayak makes for an enjoyable paddle and the extra large hatch in back provides ample storage space for a river camping trip.

04-03-2000

This is the only fiberglass boat I know of that retails for under $900 new. The first time I tried out this boat I found that it handles very well at almost 16' with no rudder. It tracks well in windy open water. Still turns easily on a narrow creek. The cockpit is quite large and I found that I was siding around. The manufacture has since put in the hardware for a clip in seat. Now with the adjustable seat I find that this my be my favorite kayak. One other concern that I had was weight. This is not a problem because the boat only weights 49 lbs. There are bulkheads front and back with a large hatch in the back and a small hatch in the front. Plenty of room to pack for a paddling camping trip.

Swift Canoe & Kayak: