Product Reviews > Kayaks > Necky Kayaks > Looksha II Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Looksha II Kayak by Necky Kayaks

Rated: 9.33/10 Based On: 12 Reviews

07-02-2014

I am 5'10", 190#, size 11 shoe, 60 senior, 5 years experience. Awesome glide, a little more tippy than a regular sea kayak but amazing stability after a couple of weeks paddling... it is a hard chine so round hull people may not like the clocking feel but it is solid. BEST GLIDE of any boat that I have paddled, almost equal to speed of Epic 18X in still water, better speed than 18X in rough water. Beautiful boat.

08-11-2009

I owned a Looksha II for a couple of years. I felt the initial stability was light and secondary was just a little better. It has good speed. In my opinion it was very rudder dependent. The workmanship was good. It was very light for a 20ft. x 20in. kayak. But then I sold it for a QCC 700. I miss it at times because it was a very fun kayak to paddle. But for the paddling I do the QCC is better.

06-18-2008
Submitted by: jshSend Email

I have a 12 year old Looksha II and like all the other reviews it is a 11 on a scale of 1-10. I agree with the previous post; why the hell did Necky quit making this boat, and how am I going to replace it when it finally gives up the ghost?

04-03-2008
Submitted by: pmhSend Email

I have paddled a kevlar Looksha II for years as my primary boat. It is easy to turn and balance once accustomed to it.
I don't know why Necky discontinued the Looksha II and the Arluk II - my other boat.

03-23-2007
Submitted by: SlickSend Email

I just bought a used model and its a great boat. I am new to this type of touring kayak so it will take some getting used to. I paddled it once now and it was great. Fast and ridin clean. You need good balance to ride this but that comes with experience. Great Boat give it a try and see if you like it. My guess is you will.

10-15-2005
Submitted by: Troy C BakelSend Email

I took delivery of a New Looksha II July 27 2005. I had decided to convert from whitewater slalom to distance racing to see what it was like. The race I chose to enter was the 45 mile Phatwater Challenge from Grand Gulf to Natchez Miss.

I trained for 6 weeks with the goal of paddling 6 hours nonstop at 4.6 to 5.0 mph average on a lake close to my house.

The Looksha II was a blast. The cockpit was very close to my training Nomad Extra Slalom K1. The boat is fast and runs well before the wind, across the wind and up wind. I trained every day for 6 weeks in weather up to 25 mph winds and 1.5 to 2 foot chop.

On October 10th 2005 I began the Phatwater with the goal of going sub 6 hours. Having never raced a distance greater than 200 yards before I stuck to my training stroke rate and finished the course at 5 hours 16 minutes and 23 seconds. I had no cramps, no pain, the Looksha II was excellent. The wind was from behind all day and she runs well before the wind.

I encountered several tows (tugs and barges). One tow caught me in a narrow section of river. When the paddler in front of me encountered the wake he dropped from site with only the top edge of his paddle visible to me. There were 4 rollers of this size and the Looksha II blew threw them with ease. The trouble began with the reflected waves from shore which were traveling faster, were breaking, and were steep. The Looksha II rose well in the first wave with water breaking on the deck after the bow hatch. The first wave left a lot of bow in the air so she crashed down pretty good into the second wave. There was air under the middle of the boat so I had to brace and take the second wave in the gut about navel high. The third and forth steep waves were a blur but the Looksha II recovered well and I was back up to speed rather quickly after the fourth wave.

I would give the boat a 10 with the exception of rolling. The rear deck is cut too high and I normally roll up on the rear deck. I compensate by slowly rolling her up till she is on her side then rotating the paddle blade over and finish the stroke like a C1 and come up in a low brace. A friend is going to teach me some Greenland Kayak rolls that should ease this problem. Fit and finish is great. The Looksha II is a beautiful boat. So I give her a 9.5. I guess my ego cannot accept that my whitewater roll is not strong enough so I will blame it on the boat.

10-24-2002

OK, finally in possession of the Looksha II and gave her the baptismal first paddle this morning..a perfectly calm day with nary a trace of wind...too early to rate the boat and honestly I was transfixed on the myriad of colors the trees surrounding the lake were projecting to fully judge the kayak..this says a lot considering the Looksha II has a reputation for 'tippiness'..initial impressions though were good, entry was not a problem and felt no tighter than the Nordkapp Jubilee, the seat is even more comfortable with the seat-back compared to the backband on the Brittish boat, it was not as comfortable as the seat in my old Sea-Lion. The extension rods (lack of a better term) of the Smart Rudder System did press against the sides of my legs until I moved them (my legs) toward the middle of the boat, and speaking of the Smart Rudder, it is worth the money, solid bracing and with just the wiggle of a toa rudder control-someone was thinking out of the box. This boat requires a rudder to track at any speed, while slowly paddling I pulled up the rudder and maintained a straight course easily but when accelerating to speed it was necessary. I was surprised and impressed with how quickly and smoothly the boat turned with the rudder. I havent put the GPS on the deck to check hull speed and my 'feelings' were too subjective this morning with all the fall splendor. Also, deck height seemed not a problem with a Greenland paddle for those who use one. I haven't checked the weight of the boat but (again subjective I know) lifting/shouldering it 25 yards to the lake told me it is much lighter than the Nordkapp and a bit heavier than the Sea Lion....

One strange perception, for a boat 20 feet long, once in the cockpit it didnt seem that long, and the blunt nose (from a sitting downward view toward the bow) is strange for a boat that is so aquiline in profile appearance.

It was worth the wait and I am glad to add it to my small fleet of kayaks. I will post a weight when possible.

10-10-2002
Submitted by: RobertSend Email

Well after 7 months the kayak is now at the dealers...I will pick it up in a couple of weeks. I was there for the unwrapping and was stunned by the beauty of the boat...paddling it and weighing it will come later unfortunately but afterward I will post a review...lesson 1, if you want a Looksha II expect to wait and wait and wait and wait!

05-08-2002
Submitted by: BillSend Email

A very fast boat-I can out paddle younger racers in lessor boats after suffering numerous defeats in my Gulfstream. This is not a boat for the timid-it will take sveral hundred hours to upgrade my skills to the point where serious ocean weather is not a concern. Having said that this boat with the Smart Trac rudder and it's rockered hull turns amazingly well, and is highly manueverable. This is not the boat to set your paddle down along side and eat a sandwich, but with good skill, you can fly.

04-25-2000

I have paddled a Looksha II for nearly a year. The boat performance is terrific. I have paddled in most conditions and found it fast with modest initial stability and good secondary stability. It requires attention but the speed and ability to surf even the smallest waves make up for it. I set the rudder and use light knee lifts to steer in most conditions. The seat did not fit me and I have removed it and replaced it with foam. I am VERY disappointed in the actual weight versus advertised weight. It is over 10 lbs. heavier than advertised, i.e. over 55 lbs. for kevlar/carbon so be careful when ordering.

04-17-2000
Submitted by: Russ

Hot boat catches great little waves in bay waters. Fast, semi stable, comfortable; just realized it's a III not a II, so I cannot put the rating in, but I do use an air cushion seat to simulate higher elevations and surf ski conditions.

03-13-2000
Submitted by: JeffSend Email

Wow. I've taken this boat out just once, so far, so here are my initial thoughts: This boat is FAST, smooth, light and absolutely a joy to paddle if you're into going fast. At 20" wide, she's a little tippy, but that's the trade-off for forward speed. The ONLY problem I've noticed is that the gel-coat seems to scratch up a little bit--albeit, this is minor. Thanks for the thrill!!

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!