Product Reviews > Canoes > Old Town Canoe > Discovery Sport 13 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Discovery Sport 13 Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Rated: 9.25/10 Based On: 12 Reviews

Canoes Image Canoes Image Canoes Image
Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

08-30-2013
Submitted by: Retired Drill SergeantSend Email

I have owned my Old Town Discovery Sport 13 since 1995 and it is still serving me, my friends and my family very well.
It's a bit heavy at about 88 lbs. It has gone down many rivers, lakes and ponds as well as the Atlantic Ocean, sometimes via paddling and many times via a 37 lb thrust trolling motor. I can't recommend this canoe high enough. I added some cushioned seats with backs and the comfort is achieved for longer trips. It is very stable. Get it or regret it!!!

09-20-2012
Submitted by: GartSend Email

Tracks well with molded keel, I like the material it is made of because it is quieter, extra buoyancy with the Old Town 3 ply... tough as nails... I have mine set up with a Minn Kota Endura 30 lb thrust with telescoping handle for comfort and ease. Moves this boat beautifully.

I bought some lightweight seats with backrests, great for long outings. I also recommend getting a solar charger, dirt cheap, works terrific and can be left out in all kinds of weather. I use paddles in small lakes, in wildlife refuge where no electric motors are allowed. I recommend the lightest and strongest paddle. Bending branches makes a carbon Touring paddle and other lightweight paddles.

And now with the square stern Old Town Discovery canoe, I can now hit all those narrow waterways and open lakes. I sold my Jon boat when I realized how versatile this 13 footer is. I can stand and fish, carry all kinds of photographic gear, and camping equipment for that Adirondack island getaway. Best investment I ever made!

03-11-2010
Submitted by: Clint

I took my Discovery Sport 13 down the Verde River, AZ during flood stage. The boat is not designed for white water, but it can be done. It is a good idea to strap in a couple of air mattresses under the seats and in the back to give the craft extra buoyancy. This comes in handy when the boat capsizes, keeping the pilot-less vessel high in the water as it tumbles down river. It is a tough 'ol barge. I hit a huge boulder square in a class III and only caved in the nose a bit. I cannot say whether it can withstand a open-ended-wrap-around, of the taco shell variety, but it sure helps to fill the open spaces of the canoe with the float mattresses. The boat likes to take on water with the slightest wave or ripple, so expect to get wet and drain the boat often.

Overall, this boat is very versatile and fits the bill for many uses.

03-27-2009

I purchased my 13' square stern Discovery new in 1999. It has seen considerable use over the years! Though it is a bit heavy (92lbs.), it is very stable. It has been a great fishing boat for the high mountain lakes of S.W. Colorado.

I can load this canoe on the car top of my '07 Pathfinder without help. An outrigger on the front load rail helps! The 15' model weighs about 20lbs. more and would make loading difficult by myself. It is slow to paddle, not bad to row! I have the old town power paddle that gets a lot of use!

This canoe is ideal to fish from with a small outboard! I had a 2hp Honda for years - it moved the boat well. I also have a sweet '58 Evinrude 3hp Ducktwin and the extra thrust over the Honda is noticeable. With the 15' Discovery you can use a 5hp outboard were the 13' has a max rating of 3hp. I am very happy with the performance of the smaller canoe and the ease of transporting it over the larger unit is a big plus. My boat cart makes it possible to launch in difficult to reach remote lakes. It is very well made and has held up great. If I had to replace it, I likely would make the same choice.

07-05-2007
Submitted by: JCSend Email

This is the 5th canoe I've owned, and it hands-down the greatest canoe ever made. I'm only writing because I disagree with the people who say it isn't good in lakes, I use mine in several local lakes all the time, and if you use the oars and oarlocks, it's wicked fast. I love this boat. You can also stand up in it while you fish, how often can you say that about a canoe?

02-05-2007

I owned this boat for 5 years. Great alternative to a john boat for river floats or lake adventures. Extremely stable. I set mine up like a john boat by adding lightweight fold down seats and used a 3hp gas motor or a 50# trolling motor. I fished out of it and you can consider doing overnight trips as it will carry lots of gear. It is not that lightweight but extremely durable. Tracks well with molded keel. A bear to paddle and manuver due to weight and keel. The 13' version is a little tight for two peole when fishing-the 15 or 17 foot boat would be better.

01-29-2007

I've owned my sport for 6 years. It has seen many small mountain lakes in northern New Mexico and southern Colorado. Great platform for fly fishing, and loads easily on my van. The Cadillac of canoes!

08-30-2006
Submitted by: SarahSend Email

This is a great river canoe, works well in shallow water and is very stable for casting. It's also short enough to fit nicely in the back of a pickup. The shallow depth makes it a little uncomfortable for legs, though, and it is definitely not a canoe for lakes--way too slow and heavy. It will take a lot of abuse and has been a good river canoe for me.

10-28-2000
Submitted by: Jack EasleySend Email

The 13' sport is light enough to car top and stable for 2 people up to about 400 lbs. total. I know this from personal experience. A trolling motor is all that is needed to push it along, even upstream, up to 4-5 mph, and it will take rough use. I added a piece of wood under the center thwart(seat) so that the hull shape would remain, especially after many groundings. It is merely a 10" by 7"-8" (approx) piece weged between the seat and the hull, with 2 screws holding it in place. I like the material it is made of because it is quieter, and warmer in cool weather. Overall, the boat is versatile and practical.

04-24-2000
Submitted by: JD

I think the sport boat is an exellent boat I've taken it out on the ocean as a tender in about 5 foot rolling seas with no water coming in and when you row it its fast and stable.

06-06-1999

I have only had my Discovery Sport 13 (Crosslink 3) for a couple of months, but it is a great canoe. It paddles smoothly and handles nicely with my small outboard. Even with two guys casting, etc., it was plenty stable. I highly recommend it as an all around canoe, good for paddling, motoring, fishing.

02-14-1999
Submitted by: caddepaSend Email

I have owned the Discovery 13' for two years. Have paddled many northeast rivers and even paddled the entire length of the Suwannee River, FL. (ran the "Big Shoals"). GREAT for rocky rivers and fishing, but I would not recommend for open lakes; much too slow. It has taken a LOT of abuse, and I would never sell it. If you fish/paddle rocky rivers, solo or with a (small) friend this is one great canoe.