Product Reviews > Kayaks > Ocean Kayak > Poco/Kea Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Poco/Kea Kayak by Ocean Kayak

03-05-2013
Submitted by: John EnomotoSend Email

Go Bananas Watersports still sells the Ocean Kayak Kea because it is still the best children's sit-on-top kayak available. Consider it a mini Scrambler. I raised all three of my daughters in them from 5 years old to 10-11 years old when they graduated to Scramblers. Like the Scrambler series they are stackable and 3 fit together on one side of my roof racks in place of one boat. The outer edge of the hull is shaped like a surfboard so it goes over whitewater when punching out through surf, it's less prone to pitch pearling when dropping down a wave, and when rolled on to the rail it turns like a flat bottom surf kayak. The keel that runs the length of the boat makes it efficient in calmer waters (unlike the toy kayak being made for children nowadays)and tracks a very straight line. I taught my kids how to use the kneestraps right from the beginning although only one excelled at surfing. It's a narrow kayak at 20" which is why it paddles with such ease when using shorter children's kayak paddles. Even though it's weight capacity is only 130 lbs I would take it out at 215 lbs and show the kids how to eskimo roll it using the kneestraps. We have light weight ladies buy this kayak because there is nothing lighter to carry at only 31 lbs. As far as I know we are the only kayak store that brings these kayaks in from New Zealand.

08-17-2007
Submitted by: E BSend Email

I tested out a brand new Kea and about a gallon of water leaked into the hull in about 20 minutes! I heard someone else mention this about the Ocean Kayak brand. I think their quality control is just a bit bad. Otherwise seems like it would be a great Kayak. I'm 135 lbs and the kayak did feel a bit too small for me.

I bought a Pelican 'Zest' instead and have taken it out a few times now. The plastic probably isn't quite as tough as the Ocean Kayak, but the design seems a bit better and it was cheaper. Online stores found it for $240 US. It drains water from the 'deck' much better than the Kea, comes with a seat back and is an attractive blue color. Good luck with your purchase.

06-25-2007
Submitted by: PatSend Email

We got a Poco for our kids about 8 years ago, because out two 'Poke Boats' only had room for my wife with one, and myself with one, leaving the third high and dry. Almost immediately my youngest son and our daughter, 5 and 7 at the time, had to flip a coin every time we went out to see who 'won' the right to paddle the Poco. They've used it for simple river fun - no class III or up rapids - as well as fishing/swimming trips, as well as a couple of times at the beach, and it's still going strong. I even tried it once on our pond, but my 220 pounds was not only way past its capacity, but impossible to balance. But used within its intended limits, it's the best all around boat for little people that I've ever seen.

01-31-2007
Submitted by: p murphySend Email

This kayak is great, my daughter went out in it lots last year, she was 7yrs old. She was on the big waves with me and handled it like a pro. It tracks great, really stable, and fun. The only thing we had to change was the paddle, was too short. I am taking it to Fogh marine and getting the hatch option installed next month. A must buy kayak for any child. Worth the money.

07-05-2002
Submitted by: JGLSend Email

I bought a pair of kea's for my kids ages 5 and 7. The 7 year old took to it like a pro, and the 5 year old is getting there... So far we've only used them to knock around local ponds and marshes and play at the town beach, but I'll feel confident taking them on easy ocean outings as well! My wife and I have also paddled them, and although at 150 lb and 185 lb we don't get a lot of freeboard and sit in the water, they were still a ton of fun! Highly recommended for tiny paddlers who want a combination swimming platform and kayak!

05-06-2000

Great boat. My 6 yr old took to it within the first half-hour. Very stable and easy to paddle.

12-14-1999
Submitted by: Fl DadSend Email

If you got kids 5-10yrs old, You need to get them a Poco, this cool little boat $399 is an excellent way to get them out paddling (All by myself) it is light and stable and has a backrest already built in. A+ for Ocean Kayak.

12-14-1999

What a wonderful kayak for kids. They love it. It sure beats a new bike and at only $299 its the best deal anywhere. Makes me wish I had more kids.