Product Reviews > Canoes > Old Town Canoe > Discovery 160K Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Discovery 160K Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Rated: 8.69/10 Based On: 13 Reviews

Canoes Image Canoes Image Canoes Image
Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

08-03-2013

I purchased a used Old Town 16 canoe 1986 model year-plastic. It was well used when I got it and 7 years later it still has a lot of years of use in it. This thing is a tank. Other than a little oil canning which it had when I purchased it. I'm not sure what I could do to damage it in a paddling setting. We use it in winter to pull behind tractor in snow loaded with kids. Only bad thing is the weight. It is heavy and difficult to lift onto car so I use trailer to transport.

07-23-2012
Submitted by: No Name

I have owned this canoe since 1997 and have experienced no degrading of any part. The seats are wearing but this thing takes it all, lakes, rivers you name it it's withstood it! I will have this for the next 15 years I'm sure!

03-27-2006
Submitted by: AndySend Email

Had (2) 160k Discoveries; one a 1997 & the other a 2003 (which never saw water-sold it after the experience with the '97).

No complaints with handling, etc.

MAJOR disappointment with the Polylink3: The '97 suddenly showed separation cracking over 80% of its bottom, and not caused by abuse on rocks, etc. Called Old Town; I was advised that it has suffered "ultraviolet degradation", and should be "retired" from use. It was not considered repairable, and OTC offered no assistance (new boat at some discount, advice on repair etc.), since it was well out of warranty. Was advised to "keep out of direct sunlight" if possible! I don't expect any canoe to last forever, but I don't expect sunlight to destroy it either!

After my phone call (no hostilities) my emails as to repair kits, etc. went unanswered.

Still have a new-condition 17ft Discovery Sport square stern, Polylink3, and I am VERY careful to cover it with a silver tarp when not in use. Likely will sell it also before it has a chance to degrade.

Have had many canoes, from 1955 to date, mostly OTC's, including original Guide wood/canvas and Royalex (no problems w/ the Royalex), some Grummans, Radissons, Sportspals, others. All were no problem with material failure.

NO more Polylink3for this paddler...

07-12-2005

This canoe is indestructible! I bought mine used from a rental company for $225. They had already put a patch from the bow extending about a foot under the body. It came off the roof of my truck at 60 mph and bounced end-over-end down the road. After years of hard use, I figured I got my money's worth: it was scratched a little, but still in good working shape. I folded it at a 45 degree angle on a rock in heavy current with 5 people in it without capsizing. It was stolen off of my dock and spotted by a friend a year later tied up downriver. It was unmistakably mine with the bubbling where some renter sat it on a campfire. I stole it back. Now with a 6 inch hole worn through the outer skin, a wooden brace gone and a seat top cracked from years of sun, it has likely logged a thousand miles and could be filled 6 times with all the fish caught from it. I would storm the beach at Normandy in one of these. I'll sell this one for $250 if you're interested... I have 2 more now!

02-07-2005

I bought this canoe in 2002 had it out in every thing from small Ozark steams to the Atlantic off Hunting Island SC. This boat is rock solid try taking 2 kids crabbing in another canoe this thing is as close to bombproof as it gets. Thing is I don't paddle I row and it flies with oars no need for a trolling motor. The only down side is the weight at 87 lbs. it is heavy. But this canoe is the hummer of canoes 1100lb cap. If you want a sports car buy a kayak.

09-22-2003

I purchased the 160k as my first canoe. It is heavy and loading it on top of my van can be cumbersome. I paddle it solo... as hard as that is to beleive... it can be done. It is very stable. My 5 year old and I fish from it a lot and there's plenty of room for gear and the like. I give it a nine, simply because the weight is an issue.

08-05-2003

This has been an excellent canoe for both my son and I. We have been out in the Chesapeake bay to paddle and to fish from it as well as numerous local rivers. It only took us a few minutes to get adjusted to its stability and once we did , away we went.Tracks very well , has more than ample speed, carries a ton of gear.easy to portage, easy to haul around.This is just one good canoe and I would recomend it to any one looking for a general purpose canoe.

07-14-2003
Submitted by: M WebsterSend Email

After researching canoes for weeks, I purchased the Old Town Discovery 160 directly from an Old Town factory outlet for $649 on sale. The 160 is designed to be a sporting canoe. With the middle seat configuration it is 87 lb. so it's heavy, but it's not as heavy as a square stern canoe. I plan to purchase an electric trolling motor, but I bought the 160 over the 17 foot square foot Discovery Sport because I wanted to be able to paddle the thing also. It paddles just fine. I haven't rowed this boat, but I imagine it would make a terrific row boat compared to a heavy aluminum jon boat. It is an extremely stable boat. For example, I took three children out yesterday, with my oldest in the front, and the younger children both sat on the middle seat side-by-side, sometimes dragging their feet over the side because it was so hot in the afternoon. The 40.5" beam makes for extraordinary stability. We felt very safe.

This canoe deserves a 10 because it does what it's designed to do in superb fashion. If you want a super fast easy paddler, don't purchase a sporting canoe. I searched high and low, and could find nothing equivalent in terms of the wide beam and versatility in a lighter canoe (the Discovery 160 is Old Town's SuperLink 3 layered polyethylene composite). Old Town's Osprey 155 is a similar boat that is lighter due to its Royalex composition, but the Discovery has a wider beam, and I didn't like the Osprey's seat placement. On the 160, the middle seat is more evenly placed between the bow and stern, so a fourth passenger such as a child can more easily sit between the bow seat and the middle seat, while still leaving plenty of room behind the middle seat for the stern paddler. The Discovery 160 makes for a superb sporting canoe.

03-19-2002

Don't paddle this boat! Row it. As a row boat it is a dream. Class 3 white water will require float bags and so will ocean surf. It is light for a row boat, but it may be one of the heaviest canoes in current production. This is a truely wonderful row boat. Just don't confuse it for a canoe and try to paddle it. Someday I hope to find something similar that weighs much less....It will have to be made of Kevlar and cost a small fortune. But weight is this boats only fault, except for the fact that it paddles miserably. Row it!

07-27-2001
Submitted by: Maximus9000Send Email

After months of exhaustive research, I purchased the Discovery 160K as my first canoe in the Spring of 2001. I selected the 160K mainly for its combination of stability, capacity, and flexibility in relation to price. I have not been disappointed. I have used it nearly every weekend in a variety of conditions and have found it to be surprisingly agile and adaptable to a variety of uses. The center seat and oarlocks give additional options for use as well as the ability to use the canoe more effectively in different conditions. Whether paddling across a quiet lake, cruising down Class II+ rapids, or rowing into a good fishing spot,I have yet to find a limitation to this boat, with the exception of solo cartopping. At 87 lbs., it's a bit cumbersome, but after some practice, my girlfriend and I have become quite comfortable tossing it on top of a full size pickup. I would recommend this model to anyone looking for a high-capacity, extremely stable craft that will adapt to almost any situation.

07-24-2001
Submitted by: wayne WescottSend Email

I too bought the 160K as my first canoe. It has unbelievable, stand up, stability. Carries 3 large men and we keep up just fine. In strong wind it is a bear but the oars do overcome. Yes it is heavy. But she is fun to paddle, when empty its a downright joy. It's a big gear tripper, a ocean dory, a john boat fisher and not bad if you just want to get through the waves and white stuff. A good strong boat that does a lot of things fairly well.

05-05-1999
Submitted by: JLTurkSend Email

This is a very stable canoe made of layered polymer. With three seats, there is plenty of room for my wife, three children and gear. Despite its width and keel, it is very maneuverable in both flat and moving water. I have not and probably will not use it anything above Class II. This is an excellent canoe for family camping. Although a bit heavy (approx. 87 lbs.) it is very easy to cartop and transport. I give it 9 out of 10 only because of its weight.

12-07-1998
Submitted by: D PettitSend Email

Canoe is heavy and made with crosslinked polymer. It has a mild keel that runs the length of the bottom and is over 40 inches wide. A third seat may be added in center. This canoe was hastily purchased as it was my first one and I didn't know what made for an easily paddled canoe. It was designed for fishing with an auxilary motor. It is cumbersome to paddle, but carries a heavy load. I use it for canoe-camping and let my teenage kids paddle the beast. Nuff said.