Product Reviews > Accessories > Grey Owl Paddles Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Grey Owl Paddles

Rated: 9.44/10 Based On: 9 Reviews

Research Paddles in the Buyers' Guide!
Paddles
View Paddles in Buyers' Guide

08-10-2013

If you want to class up paddle without sacrificing performance a Grey Owl paddle is for you. I stumbled across this small Canadian paddle maker during an extensive Internet search for wooden paddle that would compliment my wooden kayak. I bought a Tempest which fit nicely with my budget and has returned my investment with hours of relaxing comfortable paddling.

This straight shaft paddle allows only three feathering options, zero degrees and 60 degrees right or left, which is the most limiting factor of the paddle. There is also a minorly detectable slip at the Chinese made carbon fiber ferrule. For both of these deficits are easily overshadowed by its beauty and craftsmanship. The Ash shaft and Butternut, walnut, and bass blades are flawlessly finished and natural compliment magnets.

07-25-2013
Submitted by: WHMSend Email

I bought a 230cm Grey Owl wooden kayak paddle off the internet and it has proved its worth over the last 5 years. It's very efficient and very light. Outperforms every other paddle I've had or used (Werner, Bending Branches). Will buy another when this one is done, but shows no sign of wearing out!

06-22-2011
Submitted by: lwvSend Email

Grey Owl " Tenderfoot" paddle.
This is the lightest paddle one could want. Performs like a weightless extension of ones arms. It has a user friendly feel and flex. I use it on my 13" 8" homemade ply canoe. It has unusually quiet water interface.
I highly recommend it for easy-going pleasure paddling.

05-08-2007
Submitted by: DaveSend Email

Have two Grey Owl Hammerhead Paddles. This paddle feels at home in my hands. The response and feel of the water is perfect. the T-grip is a sure fit. I don't worry about rocks or breaking the paddle, it's taken plenty of beatings on Class 1-4 in my Esquif Nitro. I highly recommend this paddle. It's purdy too!

03-02-2007

Grey Owl Scout model - I own several canoe paddles including some expensive composite bent-shafts. My Grey Owl Scout gets the most use though. The features I value are; narrow blade width, small shaft diameter, and light weight (it is only a few ounces heavier than the composites). The price cannot be beat either.

10-18-2004

My wife and I just purchased our Voyageur paddles. It has a wider/shorter blade that is easy to use on all conditions, especially shallow waters. I just love it. I highly recommend them.

01-15-2002
Submitted by: RRSend Email

Grey Owl Tempest touring paddle. This is an excellent buy for a well made 2-piece wooden paddle. It's weight is just over 2# (34oz). The Tempest has a beautiful finish that shows care & quality. I shopped hard for a light weight wooden paddle and am extremely pleased with this one. Paddling is a real pleasure with little effort. A definite winner.

04-02-2000
Submitted by: KevinSend Email

I am referring to the freestyle paddle. A good paddle for the money but it would be much better if the grip were about twice as large. I use mine as a spare but plan to make the grip larger when time permits.

10-04-1999
Submitted by: sc

Excellent production stick very comparable to Mitchell Slalom. I like the grip style on the Grey Owl better than any other - lots of thumb control. Oval shaft grip is sized right. This is a solid stick, very stiff when needed in braces and rolls, and just enough flex so that it can be used all day. Some flutter when you really pour on the juice. Good catch. Better recovery. Underwater returns are a snap. Twirls overhead well but the balance point is a little high (I use a 59" overall). This is a pretty paddle (good wood choices and matching). Marginally lighter than most comparable models in wood or synthetic. This is not a high performance stick but is an excellent recreational choice for class III-IV cruising.