Product Reviews > Kayaks > Necky Kayaks > Kayook Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Kayook Kayak by Necky Kayaks

09-28-2012

My Kyook has been in my stable since early 1995. It was my first "Sea Kayak".
Mine is the Kyook Plus model that has both bulkheads and a rudder. The Kyook is 15 feet long and 25 inches wide. It has great initial stability and decent secondary stability. It is at home on flat water and pretty big waves and chop as well. I have surfed it plenty of times. It is not a fast boat by any means but will hold it's speed well. Tracking isn't bad but does require the rudder sometimes. I store my kayaks inside so the Kyook still looks brand new, even though it's 17 years old. Even the neoprene hatch undercovers are like new.

I'm 5' 8" tall and weigh 200 lbs and still have plenty of cockpit room. I could foam it in to fit like a glove like my Sirocco but I like the fact that I can move a bit for comfort and to fish or relax without bracing. Necky had some great plastic to still look as good as it does. I live in Western NY so all of our launch places are rock or concrete. No sandy beaches here. Thanks to the "old" Necky for making a great kayak!

09-17-2009

We took our Necky Kyooks out on the Rogue River in Oregon on Saturday and they plowed through Class II rapids, never once feeling unstable, even when we occasionally misread the river and banged into rocks just below the surface. They are not as easy to turn over as our Prijon Seayak and Current Design Vision 150 which makes them the best boats in our fleet for running rapids. Having said that, earlier this summer a 5'4", 115 lb woman rolled one of our Kyooks several times in a swimming pool without much effort - and our boat was not even "fitted" (foamed in) for her. She brought the footpegs up close and braced herself against the seat back. I gave it an eight because they are a bit heavy.

03-14-2008
Submitted by: MikeSend Email

I've had my Kyook Plus(the correct spelling) for about 8 years and have paddled it from Lopez to La Paz. What a great all around boat. Stable, tough & seaworthy. I doubt I could eskimo roll it, but it's easy to climb back in. I'd buy a Kevlar boat if I could find one as good, but haven't yet.

11-12-2007
Submitted by: Chris HSend Email

I bought my Kayook in '04 as my first sea kayak and have loved it ever since. It closes SF Bay with ease. The best part is the gear storage abilities. You can fit loads of gear in it. If I'm just going out for a couple hours, I'll take my other lighter boat, but for camping, the kayook can't be beat.

03-17-2006
Submitted by: StevieGeeSend Email

I purchased my Kyook - a blue 1996 with two bulkheads and a rudder - in the summer of 2005 and love it. It's the perfect boat for day or overnight trips on the rivers surrounding the Metro DC area, which are generally loaded with rocks (ouch w/ a composite boat) and don't demand a longer boat for covering ground or doing long open water crossings. That having been said, it's plenty long enough at 15' to handle bigger water. It's also stable enough to plow through class III rapids without much trouble.

The boat holds a ton of gear if packed properly, making it a workhorse on overnight trips. I carried the lion's share of gear for two people on a two-night trip on the Shenandoah without having to carry anything outside the bulkheads and the boat was still fairly nimble, particularly for such a wide (25") boat. With a regular-sized load, the boat is both fast and agile while still being very stable.

The boat tracks fairly well, occasionally exhibiting a tendency to pull to the paddler's left. I think this may be due to the oil-canning (dent) in the bottom. In deeper water, using the rudder fixes this problem. The rudder system is well-designed and easy to deploy and retract.

As for fit, I'm 6-1/195lbs and the boat fits nicely. My two complaints in that area: (1) my size 11.5 feet tend to hit the underside of the deck and (2) the seat is hard as a rock. I solved the latter with inflatable SeaLine seat and back pads, which can be velcroed on. They work like thermarest pads and can be easily adjusted for a custom fit.

I started looking for a bigger boat (in the 17-foot range), but am glad I settled on this length.

12-01-2005

I just bought a used Kayook -- double bulkheads and a rudder. (She's red and her name is Ruby.) This is my first kayak and I love her beyond words. We go out exploring the lakes around here and I'm looking forward to trying a river. I'm 5'3" and weigh 125 and I can load and unload her by myself. She feels very stable and has never felt like she was going to tip. She tracks well with or without the rudder.

06-23-2004
Submitted by: MBWSend Email

I bought a basic plastic Kyook (no bulkheads or rudder) about 5 years ago for recreational lake paddling, and have absolutely loved it. Tracks straight easily in windy conditions, and has wonderful stability in waves and wake...no fear of tipping/rolling.

08-04-2003

I have paddled my kyook for two years now. I bought it used (barely) through a paddle.net classified ad on the strength of prior reviews describing it as a good all-around boat. I have been very happy with the boat. I stay dry on choppy trips while my sit-on-top friends get wet and cold. It handles well in lakes, bays, or ocean (coastal) and carries a surprising amount of gear. Mine is rudder equipped, which comes in handy, especially with quartering seas from the rear. It is quite rugged, but you pay the price in weight. I have three boats, and this is my favorite.

01-14-2002

15' Plastic model-- The Kayook is a good starter or intermediate sea kayak. It is quite rugged and heavily built. It is nearly bulletproof on rocks. It is very stable. My 100 lb. wife was unable to capsize it in calm water. Although it isn't a fast boat, I am able to move it along fast enough to keep up with other paddlers in $3000 kayaks. Deck rigging is OK, but not outstanding. The steering gear is fairly good. The boat is not hard to climb back into after a wet exit. It is fair in surf and handles reasonably well in rough water. The Kayook weathercocks, but the rudder largely offsets that. It has a sturdy plastic seat, with adjustable back. I tend to slip down toward the cockpit, so I think that seat padding would be very helpful. There is plenty of leg room and a large cockpit opening. This is not a small person boat. There are bow and stern toggle type handles.

08-27-2001

I purchased my Kayook this spring with bulkheads and rudder. It's a very stable boat, you have to lean excessively to tip it. It's speed is very reasonable and has good storage for multiday trips. With the rudder up it tracks well, but as the wind picks up the rudder definitely helps! Only complaint is it's 60lbs plus weight.

06-25-2001
Submitted by: SHSend Email

Love it, love it, love it. It's my first boat and so far I have had a blast. It handles easily, very responsive and not slow. Don't like the weight issue, hard for me to get it on my roof rack unassisted, but other than that it has been a real fun boat!

10-07-2000
Submitted by: Mark DSend Email

The kyook was my first kayak. I found the plastic to be very strong and the boat itself is quite tough. I have dragged it full of gear across fields and down river banks. She has seen the surf of the pacific ocean(can you say pitchpole) and the railway tressels of the praires. I have done some class II rapids with it on more than one occasion. Mine has just the single rear bulkhead with a rudder. With this setup I can carry enough gear for a week of camping. (I have a friend who took his Kyook on a 43 day self contained river run on the Mackenzie.) The boat tends to head up wind when not loaded. Over all this boat is a super messing about multi-purpose kayak. It is a great boat for beginners.

06-22-2000
Submitted by: RM

The Kyook was my first kayak. I like it a lot. Now have a kevlar boat, but kept Kyook: you can put beginners in it with no problem. Handles rough water well. But I would get it with the rudder as you can edge turn it if your are big enough, but it does not carve turns like a hard chined boat. And if you get basic model without bulkheads made sure you get additional air bags to fill up bow and stern. Otherwise she will ship a lot of water in a capsize.

06-14-2000

I day tripped in a Necky Kyook up in northern Minnesota last month. Really a well built boat, with plenty of room for your gear. Initial stability was very good, and secondary was too. I had trouble initially getting into the Kyook, as I am 6'3" and #200. Even with the foot pegs all the way forward, it was still a tight fit. But I was wearing this boat. I was wearing sprayskirt, wetsuit and windbreaker and once settled, I had a very dry ride. Only real trouble I had was deploying the rudder. The bungee cord control was behind the cockpit, which meant an awkward backward stretch which was uncomfortable at best. But once deployed, it worked very VERY well. The rudder system is steerable too, which was fun to play with. The only other complaint I had was that the backrest was too low, and after 3 hours on the water, I was ready to get out! Otherwise, a very seaworthy boat as we were out on 5 foot seas on Lake Superior. Taller paddlers might want to look at the Narpa or a little longer boat.

04-30-2000
Submitted by: TerrySend Email

This is a great boat. Calm to rough seas. Ffun and stable. Great all around and fits easy in garage on car. You'll love this Necky. have great fun..aloha

02-15-2000
Submitted by: RussSend Email

For the money, you can't beat it. I have paddled my kyook for the past year in everything from placid lakes to surfin in the Pacific Ocean. All I can say is fantastic! Very manuvarable, easy to set on edge,yet stable as a rock. This is a best for beginner/intermediate paddler, with plenty of room for the kitchen sink if you want to take it camping. Down side is because of it's 25" beam, diffucult to roll because so much room in cockpit. For larger paddler maybe better. Being plastic(very strong)a bit on the slow side and of course it is a bit heavy(about 56lbs). I think the positive sides out weigh the negitives.

12-08-1999
Submitted by: MartySend Email

I have been out in my recently purchased kayook and love it. It is seaworthy: stable and yet easily maneuverable. Has a solid feel, maybe due to the double bulkhead system. I thought this rotomolded model might be slow but found the opposite. It flys through the waves, inspiring confidence.

09-10-1999
Submitted by: RFCSend Email

I selected this as my first kayak, after test-paddling several others of similar size, layout, etc. I like the boat a lot. Very comfortable for me (5'10"/190#) It is fairly heavy at about 65#. Initial and secondary stability is high. No handling surprises, and confidence inspiring in rougher conditions. Excellent workmanship from Necky. I highly recommend it for a new/intermediate paddler.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!

Suspenz: