Product Reviews > Kayaks > Current Designs > Extreme Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Extreme Kayak by Current Designs

Rated: 9.39/10 Based On: 23 Reviews

07-02-2014

I am 5'10" and 180#... a senior with 5 years experience. This is an amazing "feel" of a boat... round hull is stable but great speed, (I like hard chine but this is sweet).. this boat is not as fast as the new generation 18X types but will beat them in a long rough water race with the same paddler. AND they are well built like most Current Design boats.

05-28-2014
Submitted by:

I have owned ten kayaks, and the Extreme makes 11. I have tested over 20 kayaks at kayak demos and paddle-fest. They comprise British, East Greenland, North American, Kevlar, composite, thermo-plastic, roto-mould, etc. I have had the High Volume Extreme for 6 months. I got it off a friend after having paddled it and reading some of the paddling.net reviews. I am a 20 plus year paddler.

I am 5 ft. 10 in. and 175 lbs. I fit in the ocean cockpit no problem. My size 11 feet have good clearance. A bigger person might struggle a bit getting in and out without good technique. I have just done a 4-day tour on the west coast of British Columbia. We encountered two days of aggressive seas.

The Extreme is fast and stable. It has some wind cocking that I have experienced on some other fast boats I have paddled. I believe the Extreme is the fastest. I will compare it to the Seaward Quest I owned. The Quest was 19' length & 22.5" width and the more stable Extreme is 18'10" length & 21" width. Most kayaks are solid when loaded but the Extreme does OK empty. It does not need a big load to be stable. Both initial and secondary stability are incredible. It is a good surfer and takes it well a beam. It has minimal broaching on the stern quarter.

The Extreme is a fish design. The widest point is in front of the cockpit. It has a lot more hull up front so is more buoyant in the bow and is a dry ride. That also means that the bow will catch more wind than the stern. I have loaded some lighter gear and the paddle float on the stern deck to catch the wind and keep the boat more neutral when heading into the wind. It is a dream going down wind. It has enough rocker to get a long fast tour kayak turned around in a reasonable distance. Using good edging technique allows for tighter turns. It tracks well with the rudder up. I only use the rudder in strong winds and choppy seas.

As you get older, kayak weight becomes a factor when loading and unloading on a vehicle. I like the weight of this kayak which is the lightest I have owned this size (including the Kevlar Quest). I personally weighed this kayak at 52 lbs. This is typical of what I have seen in the Current Design boats. The inside is very clean and smooth using their vacuum-bagged composite lamination process.

The deck is clean and fittings are recessed. They have a simple lid clamping strap that makes the hatches a dry seal. Bulkheads are water tight. It has a pretty comfortable padded seat. The new CD Nomad (Extreme) is also a fish design and has the same dimensions. It is hard for me to see the difference so I will have to paddle it at paddle-fest to see if it is the same kayak.

I was a little nervous in the Extreme when encountering some tide and wind slop off the west coast of Vancouver Island. The confused steep waves were intimidating. It was reassuring that the kayak handled it well (and dry). That's when I really fell in love with the Extreme.

07-26-2012

I just bought a used 2004 CD Extreme kayak for exercise paddling on a local river. I currently own a Cape Horn 170 pro and a CD Solstice GTS, but was looking for something a bit faster. After going through many reviews I wanted to provide a summary of my observations relative to these other boats:
  1. All three are excellent kayaks, all three are from 2004/2005 and outfitted with the fiberglass layup.
  2. My Solstice GTS is the only one that I find water seepage through the bulkhead into the rear hatch. I attribute that to its prior owner, not Current Designs. One of these days I will reseal...
  3. The hatches have been watertight on all three boats for me. The required liner on the Cape Horn and the buckles instead of levers makes the CD boats rate higher. All have large openings and a nice flush look, unlike earlier models or the rotomolded version of the Cape Horn.
  4. Car topping any of the three is easy. I have racks that are set high on top of my truck and can still load any of the three easily by myself. All are relatively well balanced on the cockpit to pick them up.
  5. For stability I see little difference between the Solstice GTS and the Extreme. The Extreme might be a little tippier on the primary, but its secondary is better. I would consider both boats "stable", but this is a relative term to my high performance racing boats. The wider width of the Cape Horn and its harder chine provides the highest initial stability of the three. This is the boat I put visitors in for this reason.
  6. Tracking is more difficult to compare. With the rudders down (there are lots of tubers and sporadic paddlers to dodge on my river) all three will hold a straight line with only the most minute adjustments. With the rudder up it gets more difficult to compare, because while the Solstice might hold a straighter line, once it gets off that line it's the most difficult to get back on it. It simply does not respond as well as the others to edging or sweep strokes; once it has a path it likes to keep it. For me the Extreme really wins in this category as it is by far the most responsive.
  7. Speed. I track all my runs using a Garmin 410 GPS watch. I have a set 3.3 mile course (loop, so equal upstream and downstream), and I typically use my Epic wing paddle. For a relative comparison, my Cape Horn gets me about 5.2/5.3 mph on average over the course. With the Solstice GTS I've gotten as high as 5.7, but am generally between 5.5 and 5.6. With the Extreme (only one run so far, unlike the others) I'm at 6.0 mph. So, the Extreme is my fastest about 13% faster than a Cape Horn Pro and probably 5-7% faster than the Solstice. Lots of factors here that I'll gloss over, but hopefully the relative comparison helps.
  8. Comfort: All three are comfortable, I actually prefer the unpadded seats in the CD boats. The Cape Horn Pro is a fully adjustable padded seat and so very versatile. I don't typically go beyond 5 miles at a time and all suffice just fine for this shorter length.
  9. Footpegs: I am 6'-1", 200 lbs, size 12 shoes, and fit well with plenty of margin in any of the three. So does my 5'-4" and barely more than half my weight wife. The one note is that the Cape Horn rudder adjustment is a buckle-type, so not as easy to fiddle with as the CD design that can easily be done from inside the cockpit.
  10. Entry. All three are pretty easy to get inside of, higher stability of the Cape Horn makes this the easiest. Bungees on the footpegs to keep them forward would be nice, none of the three have them. The Extreme is easier to get my legs in than the Solstice, feels like a longer but narrower cockpit opening but I would have to check the dimensions to be sure.
  11. Storage. Often overlooked, most standard garages are 18 feet wide. The Extreme is 18'-10", the others are just below 18 with the rudders. The Solstice/Cape Horn can easily be hung sideways under the garage door, the Extreme has to be hung at an angle or along a wall. The raised loop on the CD boats is better for cam straps at an angle than the flat bar on the Cape Horn Pro as they stay off of the glass and on the metal, not an issue if you use wall brackets.
Overall, all three are great boats from great companies. For me personally (largely from a speed standpoint) the Extreme is my favorite, the Solstice GTS is 2nd, and the Cape Horn 3rd. This said, my visitors and guests get to use the Cape Horn due to its stability and ease of use, so my preference for my use should be noted for what it is.

07-17-2008
Submitted by: Rob W.Send Email

I have a CD Extreme HV and find it is one of the faster ocean touring kayaks around. I'm 6'2" and about 210 lbs. and test paddled several dozen kayaks before I found one with suitable leg room for someone of my height. I find the Extreme "very comfortable".

The boat is great for day trips. I typically paddle it around a 9 mi. reservoir every weekend without a second thought, while many other kayakers on the reservoir think twice about such a trip.

The Extreme HV has plenty of space for camping gear. I took it on a 9 day camping/island hopping trip to the Adirondacks with my wife, and it fit everything I needed for the duration.

Hatches are easy to open and close, and are largely water tight (I get a few tablespoons of water in the front hatch after much rolling).
I almost never use the rudder...only if there are severe cross-winds or I am surfing waves.
In the ocean, the front deck sheds waves nicely and provides a dry ride.

The boat's relatively narrow beam takes a little bit to get used to, and at first I was hesitant to buy a kayak that did not feel "rock steady". However, after several years of paddling it, I'm now wishing that CD will create a somewhat sleeker extreme with a beam of 19 or 20 inches. (My wife and I recently purchased some Epic V10 surf skiis for fun. If you think the Extreme is tippy, you should try these 17" wide kayaks.)
Needless to say, I find the Extreme easy to roll.

The only negatives:
  1. Back of cockpit is rather high, so it is impossible to lie back on deck;
  2. Fiberglass wt. is a bit heavy, although I can still lift it over my head to place on the roof rack;
  3. I now wish for a slightly narrower beam.
Overall, this is a really great boat!

06-03-2008

can't say enough good about this boat. We did 2,100 miles with ours and wouldn't do in any other boat. we have been in some waves about 8 ft. high and had a blast with it. we also race our boats and have come in the top 3 places with them.

Very fast and very stable for a boat this long. the wifes boat is a tad to big for her at 5-2 and 140# but she can handle it extremely well and has learned to deal with it. I'm 5-9 and 175#. the boat turns great on it's edge. we have four of these boats now. As far we are concerned it is the best boat out there!

01-09-2008

I am a thrilled owner of a Current Designs Extreme (fiberglass). I am 6'0", 175 lbs.
It was not my first boat, not my most expensive, not made with the fanciest materials, nor is it my newest. I believe I do have to consider it my favorite (1 of 7 sea kayaks). I've paddled it for a number of years now. A couple fun trips would be from Cape Cod, MA to Martha's Vineyard,and more challenging, a 37 nautical mile day trip circumnavigating Cape Fear (It was named Cape Fear for a reason.) I paddle it loaded with gear, many times on camping trips, but more frequently unloaded, just going out for a few hours.

As far as stability, I consider it very comfortable. Lower stability than my Solstice GTS, but higher stability than my P&H Sirius or Kayak Sport Viviane. (Don't read me wrong - I own, paddle, and really like all of the boats I've mentioned here. They are also all designed to be very seaworthy and cover some distance - not to turn super easily and play in one area. They represent my favorite kind of paddling.) It's a perfect level of stability for this boat. The Extreme feels responsive (edging and turning), especially vs. the Soltice GTS, which takes pretty good force to put and hold on edge.

The Extreme handles quartering waves quite well. Front quartering I don't even notice myself making any compensation for tracking. Rear quartering only presents a significant tracking problem when it wants to take off surfing. At that point a lean (responsiveness to leans is good)and a stern rudder will keep you on track going faster than you can hope to propel yourself with paddle alone. (Always a good feeling to surf - and this boat is fast for such a wonderfully seaworthy hull.) I should really mention here that I never use the rudders or skegs in these mentioned boats - probably part of why I love them is that they handle any reasonable conditions, including small craft advisory days on the open coast, without aid of a rudder or skeg.

I surf this boat on the Atlantic coast - sometimes just looking for fun, but also necessary entering inlets into the intracoastal waterway from the ocean or doing beach landings, or the mouth of the Cape Fear River, or the Frying Pan Shoals....you get the idea - it's necessity for a lot of paddling. It holds its course well perpendicular to the wave, picks up waves easily, and side surfs with ample forgiveness if you end up parallel. As far as turning, I find the Extreme turns the easiest of the 4 boats I mentioned. Paddling in groups, turning has never represented an issue for me, although tracking regularly has for others. For the paddling that I most often witness people doing, turnability seems to regularly be given too much clout vs tracking. I also have more playful sea kayaks, but their attributes just don't offer a significant advantage to me nearly as often as the attributes of the 4 boats I'm mentioning here.

If I have to choose one boat, the Extreme has a wonderful turning/tracking balance for me. The Sirius and Soltice GTS track best, but I would never consider tracking a problem with the Extreme.

The Extreme and the Viviane are the fastest, and I'm not really sure which of those two outdoes the other in speed. The Extreme is fishform, the Viviane Swedeform. The handling characteristics between the two are just different enough that when I've been paddling one consistently, it takes an hour or better in the ocean to get back into stride paddling the other. Considering the speed of all four, sprinting aside, I seem to average 4 knots, give or take, just doing my thing for 10 to 20 nautical miles in all 4 of them. So Derek Hutchison seems to have something when he says the Sirius is a fast boat and others take it out for a sprint and say they're unimpressed. Take it out for a 20 mile run with some swell and wind blown waves. Make your decision then.

I know a lot of folks ask about bracing and rolling, but once I had it truly learned, it's hard to tell the difference anymore. As a beginner, I found the Extreme and Solstice GTS easier than the other two to roll because they have a point that you can feel (I think it's the same feeling as secondary stability.) where once beyond that point, the boat wants to roll up the rest of the way. It's kind of like standing an egg on its point, it wants to go one way or the other, and once it starts, there is a force making it continue that direction. This feeling gives a strong sense of where I am at in the progression of the roll, which can be nice if you feel at all disoriented. The Viviane has this to a lesser degree, and the Sirius less yet. They will lay on edge without feeling like you have to keep pulling it on edge, but require more deliberate hip action to bring them back upright. The Extreme and Viviane represent nice mediums to me, with the Soltice GTS and Sirius being the opposite extremes in this sample of boats.

In any case, I should just sum up by saying that in the more extreme conditions and on my most challenging trips, to this point I have preferred my Extreme for the task. It is solid, the hatches do not leak, and it's a very sleek and beautiful looking boat. Even if I'm only paddling for an hour on flatwater - I prefer 4 miles to 3.5 - I love this hull design!

10-06-2005
Submitted by: RiverqueenSend Email

Warning: This boat is not 47 pounds in Kevlar. I have spoken with the company in depth about this issue. None of the boats are coming in at 47 pounds. The new 2006 catalog is stating 49 pounds but the company stated it is going to be more like 50-51 for Kevlar. The extra weight matters to me since my last boat weighed 47 pounds and I was maxed out while shouldering the boat onto my SUV. The boat I have now is actually 53 pounds, but they are making me another. The bad news is that the one they just made for me is still 50 pounds, not 47 as promised. They stated that their advertising was a mistake and they cannot do anything about it. Besides the weight issue - the boat is exactly what I wanted. It tracks well, carves well, and is decent for speed. I previously had a fiberglass Greenland-style before this boat.

05-03-2004

I've been paddling my new CD Extreme (kevlar) since late January. I'm an experienced paddler who has owned a plastic Necky Looksha IV, kevlar Looksha IV and levlar Looksha III. There is no comparison of the Necky boats to this particular CD product.

High Points: (1) superior finish (2) don't have to have the rudder down to paddle (you have to deploy the rudder on the Looksha III although the IV can be paddled with the rudder up or down), (3) superior design on the water tight bulkheads - truly water tight - the Necky bulkheads have leaked profusely on all my boats, (4) higher volume bow that enables the boat to cruise through waves without punching through the waves for a wet ride characteristic of the Looksha III and larger rudder control pedals that don't concentrate pressure in a small area of the foot like the Necky pedals, (6) a much lighter boat than the Neckys.

Low Points: (1) The rudder is plastic as opposed to aluminum which is standard on the Necky, (2) turning radius requires more strokes for 180 degree turn with rudder deployed than with the Necky, (3) gel-coat is more susceptable to abrasion (like it is a softer gel coat) when traveling with the boat in a rack over long distances than is the Necky, and the forward hatch cover can be a bit small for bulkier items.

All in all . . . for long distance performance-expedition paddling . . . I can't think of a better boat than the CD Extreme. The boat has plenty of room for gear, is comfortable in the cockpit which is properly snug (no slop), handles well in rough water and is a fast boat to paddle . . . as fast if not faster than the Looksha III in conditions with any kind of wave action.

01-05-2004

Great Kayak-High Volume makes this an excellent fast toruing kayak with great responsiveness. I enjoy the speed and great turning ability despite its 18'+ length. Handles well in following seas with or without the rudder. Good stern squat and when loaded very stable.

11-03-2003
Submitted by: George MillerSend Email

I bought my Kevlar Extreme 6/03 (my prior boats were a Perception Eclipse, Neck Kyook, Necky Looksha Sport), When I acquired the Eclipse in 2000, I also looked at the Extreme, but thought it was too much boat for me at the time. Now, I can grow into it a little more gracefully. I’m middle-aged, in fairly good condition, 5'10", 172 lbs, paddled for 9 years, took advanced lessons, rate myself intermediate. I’ll update this review when I get more experience aboard.

Hull and outfitting: - The boat has a fish form, sleek shallow round bottom design, 18’10,” long, 21.5” wide, a light, car-toppable 48 lbs. Fit and finish are mostly excellent, although mine has some uneven spots and roving texture showing through the gel coat at the stern.

Hardware/outfitting are mostly excellent. The inside is finished as well as outside, Hatches have heavy rubber gaskets and flush hatches. Bow hatch leaked at first. The dealer (Southwind Kayak) refit it for me and provided a loaner hatch while they did it. Hatch tie down buckles are undersize, brittle and have broken at times. The dealer quickly replaced them.

Steering gear is very sturdy, but uses conventional pedals and rails. There are no bungies to hold the pedals down, an annoyance that I shall correct. There a very nice low drag rudder assembly, designed to pop off if it is struck very hard, presumably being left hanging by the rudder cables and waiting for someone with a very large screwdriver to reinstall it. The rudder raise/lower controls are primo. Some people say that skegs are better than rudders and nothing is better than both. Some might eat those words, if they try to do a 27 mile open ocean crossing with one knee raised, leaving them feeling like an exposed dog by a fire hydrant, lifting its leg in a hurricane.

The Extreme is fairly comfortable, but with arthritis and heel spurs, I badly needed heel pads. My first long paddle, while wearing soft booties, left me in agony and cramped my calves up, as well. The seat back is relatively comfortable and adjustable, but it is anchored by a bungie loop which sometimes pops off at inopportune times, like re-entries. The seat bottom could use some foam padding. I recently installed a Yak-Pads gel seat pad, which works great.

There is a little room for safety gear, jacket, food and water behind the seat in the cockpit. The cockpit does not drain easily during a rescue, or beach dump-out. I keep my pump on the front deck in a specially included bungee loop, with a cord to secure it. The cockpit entry is a little short. Wet exit is not hard, but with the short opening and narrow beam, it’s a little more difficult to re-enter than I am accustomed to.

Under-hatch storage space is pretty good, but substantially narrower than my other kayaks, requiring some new skinnier dry bags.

The deck bungees are a little thin and cheesy, but most other hardware is first cabin. There is a built-in rudder tie down bungee, nice for those 80 MPH trips back home at night. The rear deck lacks real straps for tying things down. Bungies just don’t cut it when the waves/weather get rough.

There is a stainless steel anti-theft ring aft to fasten your lockup security cable to, but the boat is so darned long that my cable won’t reach forward to the kayak car top rack. The coaming is recessed into the hull- very nice- and still easy to fasten the spray skirt, but not that easy to grab in a paddle float rescue.

I have a fabulous factory–installed, deck-mounted Ritchie compass, which is a little hard to see at night. Kayak manufacturers should consider incorporating a GPS mounting pad, too- Maybe a PC also?

The Extreme’s center of gravity (CG) is a little too far forward for a comfortable shoulder carry—one must balance it right on the thigh brace extension, which digs into the shoulder. I remedy this by leaving my first aid kit in the rear compartment when I carry it, adding extra weight. However the CG seems to be good for handling at sea, which is what really counts.

Regarding performance: Now for the best part- The Extreme is one of the faster production sea kayaks you can buy, that still is fairly stable and handles acceptably. It's not an all-out racer, though. I tried the big Sedas, Neckys and Seawards, but they all seemed to me to have unacceptable tradeoffs, although they were excellent boats for what they appeared to be designed for. Although the Extreme is fast, it is a lot of boat and requires a very strong paddler for best results—that speed is not without cost. I find that I’m using different motions and muscles, due to design differences from my last boat. The speed advantage is not huge, but even a little can be decisive. It lets me now easily cruise at 4.5 knots. 5.5 is doable, with significantly more effort. I can exceed 6, when conditions are right.

Edging is good-- if you lean the boat hard, it will carve pretty well, but it won’t turn on a dime like my Eclipse or Looksha Sport. I find myself using more extended sweeps, draws and rudder strokes.

For a 19 footer, the Extreme handles surprisingly well in the surf zone. It maintains an edge well and punches through moderate waves. In surf play sessions, it stays upright when most around it capsize. It surfs OK, but not in dumpers. I haven’t done more than six footers yet. It has more of a tendency to broach than my last boat, but I’m getting the hang of it.

Primary stability is fair, secondary stability is good. The boat handles very well fully loaded, perhaps better than empty, with relatively little performance loss.

Tracking is good, but not great, without the rudder. Cross/following seas and wind effect are considerable. I leave the rudder down on long crossings or when there is any real weather influence and then it tracks like it is on rails. That way, I can focus on forward progress, instead of practicing the BCU strokes class. However,in 30+ knot winds off Santa Rosa Island last summer, weathercocking was significant, even with the rudder down.

The Extreme has a high bow and and large forward cross-section, great for plowing over waves, but there is a performance loss in rougher seas (as well as additional weathercocking). I don’t mind paying that penalty, because I believe that it is a safer boat that tends to rise over and through waves, rather than merely plow through them. However, it doesn’t simply bob over waves and pound down like a Malibu2. I’ll update this report when I encounter more difficult circumstances to test my hypothesis—assuming that I live to write about it.

I find that, unlike in my Eclipse, I can’t just sit in the cockpit reading a book out on the ocean, but must actively control the attitude of the craft by bracing or hip flexing. In a recent following sea, I had to throw braces regularly.

The boat rolls surprisingly easily for a nearly 19’ craft, because of its roundness and low back deck. The seat back is a little too high, but the support is welcome. The thigh braces are only marginal. It would be easy to slip off them during a rough roll. I think that I’ll add some foam wedges.

The Extreme is a top quality, fast, seaworthy boat, worthy of extended ocean open touring. The only real tradeoffs are less stability and maneuverability, as well as more snug accommodations.

09-22-2003

The most important thing in choosing a Kayak is to know what you want and to find what fits you best by trying many models and manufactures. I love my Extreme HV. It is very comfortable but also easy to get a tight fit when needed. I have taken it on Flat lakes, slow rivers, and Lake Superior in conditions from calm to rolling 1-3 Ft waves. The boat was very fast and easy to keep straight. I seldom use the rudder unless the wind or waves are really pushing the boat. I am very happy with my selection.

05-20-2003

I have the fiberglass Extreme (not HV), and I am 6', 190 lbs., size 12 shoe. The Extreme is a very fast, yet stable boat, from what I believe to be one of the premier kayak maufacturers in the world. I have guided sea-kayak expeditions for more than 4 years and have paddled many different models from some different manufacturers (including Nimbus, Necky, Current Designs, Seaward, & P&H), and the CD boats are among the most comfortable, highest performing & best made. The only complaint I have with the Extreme is that I have some trouble getting my feet into it ... (the H/V would be better for me, I think). Otherwise, an excellent boat: tracks well, is fast, excellent secondary stability, and adequate room for extended trips. Also, I must mention that CD hatches are among the most waterproof.

05-28-2002

I had a Current Design Extreme for a little over a year. It was recently stolen the morning I was leaving to race it in the Tsunami Ranger Sea Gypsy race and I was heart broken. I have since ordered a new one and my new baby should be here in the very near future. Prior to the Extreme I had a Looksha IV and there just isn't any comparison. The Extreme is the best coastal touring boat I've ever had and I made two crossings to the Santa Barbara Channel Islands in her. They handle surf landings, wind waves, chop and large swells with ease and I never took a drop of water in the hatches even during rolls.

03-21-2002

I switched from a Wilderness Systems Sealution XL rotomold to an Extreme (think Motorhome vs. Ferrari) I love the change! The Extreme is a joy to paddle, although it is definately more tender, which has allowed me to become a better paddler. The layup quality is remarkable and the rudder system is easy to use. One thing I would fix in this boat is the pedals. They have a tendecy to move forward on you if you take your feet off for a stretch. The WildSys had a bunge attachment that kept the pedals in tension to avoid this and I might retrofit the CD to do the same. The hatches are a good size and seem to stay dry. The speed of this boat is great, but almost negligent when compared to my Paddling partners Solstice GTHV, so if you are worried about compatability of the two, don't be. The added length of the Extreme though is significant. I love watching people come into my camp and look around, and then exclaim "where did you get the chair"?! (that extra length gives you a treat that even my aircraft carrier Wilderness Systems XL couldn't carry). I love the boat but think that a Solstice GTHV might be a more well rounded boat for many people. (more stable, a little easier to car top.) You can't go wrong with a Current Designs. I liked it so much I bought another! (see my review of my Libra XT)

12-11-2001
Submitted by: GarySend Email

My weight is 145lbs and I paddle a FG HV version mostly in the Great Salt Lake. This is a great boat. As you've read it's very fast. It responds well to proper paddling techniques and pretty well to bad ones. It handles 4ft. waves and chop easily. It will broach if you let it get that far away from you. And I've found that once in a broach proper technique is important in rough conditions. But, isn't this always the case. I can turn my Extreme in a very short distance when leaned. It tracks well for a long boat with this much rocker. The rudder works well and is good to have at times. I don't use it very often but in some wind conditions it's nice. I haven't noticed it being a very wet ride. If so it's usually been my fault. I feel very stable in it unless I turn to retrieve items off the back deck. I've paddled most of CDs line and have never found this hatch system to leak. I'm very satisfied with my choice of boats. My wife was more comfortable with the straighter tracking Solstice GTS. Glad to give my opinion to any questions about these two boats.

10-10-2001

Fast (solid 4.5 knots for 1-2 hour workouts). Handles solidly in chop. The boat is always surprisingly stable for a 21.5" wide hull. The cockpit is a bit tight, so stretching out is not possible. I am 6'3" and 245lb. The hull handles best with a rudder, especially in cross winds, as it weathercocks. It is an excellent fast cruising boat for a wide variety of conditions. I would buy one again.

On the negatives, it is a wetter ride than I had in a Solstice GT, and the cockpit is small enough to make entry or egress difficult. Were the cockpit longer, I would give this boat an unqualified 10. The positives far outweigh the negatives, since this is such a fast and surprisingly stable hull. To get a faster boat, I think one would have to get a surfski or a kayak that is essentially a racing hull. The speed combined with good handling and cargo capacity were simply too much to pass up.

09-10-2001
Submitted by: ConnieSend Email

As a beginner I first tried the Extreme after about 8 hours of kayaking. I don't know much about the technicalities, but I'm 5'5' and weigh in at 190 lbs. I was pleased to find that I fit in this narrow boat easily, also was pleased to be able to paddle as fast as the guys in our group. Although initially a bit tippy, the secondary stability is remarkable. I loved it.

07-20-2001

I tested a bunch of kayaks before settling for this one. I wanted a boat that would respond easily to lean turns, one that could pack enough gear for 2 weeks, one with good secondary stability and narrow enough for my small stature (5'3" - 110 lbs). The Extreme, contrary to my expectations, was what I was looking for. Many people had told me an 18'10" boat would be too big for me, but I found this boat to be very responsive, and much easier to handle than its popular cousin, the Solstice GTS. This boat should definitely be on ANY kayaker's short-list - not just the bigger-than-average paddler. I give it a 9 out of 10 with my only criticism being its tendency to weathercock a little with the rudder up.

04-02-2001
Submitted by: KeithSend Email

I have owned a kevlar CD Extreme for 5 months. Previously I owned and used an Eddyline Sea Star for 5 years. The Sea Star is a very straight tracking boat. Compared to the Sea Star, the Extreme does not track well. It has significant rocker. It turns easily and is put on edge easily. The rudder deployment and retraction is extremely easy (unlike CDs previous design.) I use the rudder whenever I feel I am working too hard on one side to balance wind or current. The Extreme is very well designed, stable in 3 foot waves, with winds gusting into the low 20s. I purchased the "high volume" model since I do regular multi-day camping trips in South Florida. CD quality workmanship is evident throughout the boat. My only criticism is the size of the cockpit. This is a large boat at 18'11". I am 6'1" and 190#. It seems to me that the CD designers could have made the cockpit 2" longer without sacrificing design. That would make the boat much easier to enter and exit for larger persons.

08-08-2000
Submitted by: Dick

I am a long time canoe person who recently took up sea kayaking. I own three canoes, but spend most of my time in my Kevlar 18' Jensen Cruiser. I love the rush of an effortless glide. I wanted a kayak that would provide better rough water capability and a similar performance rush for one person as opposed to two like the high performance Kevlar canoe provided. I started to demo fast kayak touring boats. I tried the Kevlar Necky 1.9 (fast but low carrying capacity and very tender), Kevlar Perception Eclipse (sluggish, but very stable) and then the Fiberglass Current Designs Extreme (AH HA). It seemed to be as fast as the Necky 1.9 and as stable as the Perception Eclipse. It looked beautiful and felt like it had a gyro for handling the rough stuff in San Francisco Bay. I wanted additional strength for the surf and less carrying weight and so I ordered a Kevlar high volume version in Green and Crème. It was delivered from another store in three days. It appears to be an optimal design for rough water high-speed cruising on day trips to weeklong camping trips. California Canoe and Kayak offered to provide a free stroke lesson with an Olympic caliber coach as part of the purchase package. I demoed different paddles with the Extreme while being coached on high performance paddling technique. I discovered that the Epic Excalibur II wing paddle was the optimal high performance cruising match for the Extreme. I am 5' 11" and an athletic 185 lbs.

04-26-2000

Fast. comfortable, rudder really helps, cockpit is a little small, but manageable. I'm, 5'11", 190lbs...very nice glide.

07-28-1999
Submitted by: JaySend Email

I am a beginner and after trying many different kayaks, I decided on the Current Designs "Extreme". This model is Kevlar (45lbs), 18' 11" and a beam of 21 1/2". It is designated as a "high performance boat".The narrowness of the beam concerned be in the beginning since being new to the sport I was afraid of too much tippiness. However, I did want to get a boat that I would grow into. The boat is very comfortable and after a 45 minute demo, I was hooked. It turns easily; Can stand on edge forever; Is fast, tracks straight and an instructor I know said it was the easiest boat he ever rolled. Initial stability is fair but secondary is great. Has a rudder but haven't needed it yet. The only disadvantage to this boat is that it is hard to get into. Narrow cockpit but the problem is the rear of the cockpit. You cannot wrap your hand around the back coming. There is a "hump" there which is part of the groove for the skirt and it is very deep. When you try to get in with a paddle assist you cannot wrap your hands around the paddle and the coming making it pretty difficult to get in and out. In fact it is the hardest boat I've tried so far to get in to.As you can see, I did not let that stop me from buying it. The "Extreme" has too many other good qualities to ignore. A boat that is comfortable ( like the P&H Sirius), fast, tracks well, and turns easily (especially with a little lean), good storage area... what more would you want.

07-20-1999

This kayak is fast, comfortable, sleek, looks sharp, tracks well, has plenty of room for gear, and is an an absolute joy to paddle. I like to take it in the Hudson River and catch air off the wake of the Circle Line.