Product Reviews > Canoes > Blue Hole > MGB Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for MGB Canoe by Blue Hole

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

08-02-2013

This is a Mike Galt designed river cruiser with mahogany gunnels and made of ABS. Absolutely beautiful boat now that I have fixed it up. It was manufactured in the early 80's. I bought it from a young man who used it on a creek as a teenager. He and his friends called it "the Tank". That kind of sums up how tough the old Blue Holes are with the abuse those county kids put it thru.

I picked it up about 2 years ago and it was in fairly rough shape. I was able to salvage all the original gunnels, decks and seats. I had to replace one thwart. The ends were worn through and I repaired it with G-Flex epoxy.

Now it is a family canoe. I don't know what the weight capacity is but I would guess at least 1000 to 1200 pounds. I have had it loaded down with everyone's gear on a Bartram canoe trail trip. I was the mule since they were all in kayaks. This is how this canoe excels. It is more for flat water or easy river since I don't think it has any rocker. It is not the fastest because of the abs blunt ends. You just feel secure in this boat with its flared bow and massive size. It has pretty decent secondary stability also.

I doubt there were ever that many of these produced. There is also the MGA model that was the same except for it had aluminum trim. I have heard that these Mike Galt canoes are almost considered a collector items because of the designer and rarity.