Product Reviews > Kayaks > Perception Sport > Blast Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Blast Kayak by Perception Sport

Rated: 8.25/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

08-09-2013

Bought from Dunhams on sale $199.99, was money well spent. Had on lake at our State Park in smooth, choppy, & very windy conditions, performed well for a 9.5' boat. Had it on St Joseph river in slow, swift, & eddy currents, performed well.

This is not just some cheappy toy. I'm surprised how quick this little boat is, with a little extra effort I stay with the 12 - 14' boats as long as their not pushing too hard. Did I mention how stable this boat is? It glides & tracks quite well for being a short recreation kayak.

Excellent beginner, intermediate kayak. I'm very happy & recommend this boat. I have a Eddyline Nighthawk 17.5 also for the Great Lakes & touring so this ain't my first rodeo. My Blast is a keeper.

08-03-2013

This review will emphasize the Blast, in comparison with the Emotion Edge, my other rec kayak.

I first was attracted to the Blast when it was the Wilderness Systems Critter. Later, when WS discontinued it, Victory sold them as the Blast. That is what it was when I purchased it. But now if you want a Blast, you need to go to Perception Sport. Even though it is one of their least expensive kayaks, it is not a cheap toy. Used for what it does best, I rate it a 10. If you push it beyond its capabilities, the rating would drop.

The Blast has a flattish bottom and rounded chines. It is very stable, whether still or moving. The Edge with its V bottom and hard chines is less stable when still, but fine when moving.

The seat of the Blast is more comfortable for me than that of the Edge, but that may be a personal preference. Both have foot pegs which work adequately.

I used the Blast for a long time before getting the Edge. Now that I have gotten my wife to try the Blast, she loves it. The Blast fits all sizes of people, with a limit of 275. Actually, my 230 is as much as I would want in it. The Edge has a limit of 350, and I'm sure I could go camping in it, though not sure I would want to.

The Blast is not slow for a rec kayak, but the Edge is faster. If the water is shallow or tending towards class II, I would prefer the Blast. In flat water, deep rivers, and moderate waves in lakes, I would prefer the Edge.

The Blast is perfect for introducing someone to kayaking. The Edge is for someone larger who has a few skills. It may not flip any easier than the Blast, but it feels like it could. The Blast is rated for whitewater, but is totally happy on flat water.

The main reason I purchased the Edge is that I wanted a faster kayak, and I think it is that. But now I plan to get a couple of 13' boats from Perception Sport, the Conduit 13.0, which used to be the Dagger Catalyst. But when I have friends over, they will get the Conduits and the Blast, and I will use the Edge. Emotion makes several boats which feel more stable, such as the Glide and the Temptation, but do not overlook the humble Blast. You will save a lot of money, and truly have a blast!

07-27-2013
Submitted by: SusieSend Email

I bought this boat has my spare boat. My friends mostly use it. It's good for a beginner, sturdy, and moves pretty well through the water. It doesn't have any storage compartments or hold much gear, but it works great for just a day on the creek relaxing

07-25-2013

Pro's: Great for wild rivers (i.e. Middle and Lower Youghiogheny)Tracks well and stable, level floating. Made in a variety of appealing colors. Also comes in an Angler version. Inexpensive and durable!

Cons: Bow compartment is low and difficult for a larger shoe size person to comfortably use the foot braces.

Sawyer Paddles: