Product Reviews > Kayaks > Pelican International > Icon 120 Angler Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Icon 120 Angler Kayak by Pelican International

Rated: 8.75/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

07-02-2014

I've been wanting a kayak for years and after reading reviews about the manufacturers that were available locally I chose the Icon 120. I appreciated the price and the good reviews from other owners and it fit the type of water I was likely to frequent.

I have been quite happy with it in still water and mild current. It tracks well and is maneuverable enough for my purposes. I wish it did have a hatch just forward of the seat but I can fix that with a dry box and tether. My first trip was 4 1/2 hours downstream in a comfortable flow and a few breaks to stand and stretch were enough to alleviate a sore butt. Maybe some more padding there is called for. All is all I'm a happy paddler.

04-30-2014
Submitted by: e.g.Send Email

This kayak has surprisingly good tracking and was very easy to fish from. It glides smoothly along the water and supports a lot of weight. I'm not heavy myself, but I loaded it down with gear and still had plenty of control and maneuverability. the material is ram-x which could be a little more durable on the bottom, but unless you're busting down rapids, the hull should not be an issue.
An overall excellent product.

04-08-2014

Bought this kayak about 1 month ago have had it in the water about 5 times fishing loaded down with all my gear very stable easy to paddle tracks good has a lot of room for storage in the hull can put full size rods in the hull body seams to scratch easy seat is uncomfortable after about an hour but is a good first kayak would recommend it.

07-22-2013

Now, Pelican has a bad reputation. Over the last few years the boats they've put out have been more akin to barges than kayaks. However, I've heard they have undergone some management and design team changes. The Icon line is supposed to be the first from their new line. I can tell you, it's not the slow, hard to control, tipsy boat they have a history of putting out.

Here's my thoughts after one ride:

• The boat rode great and stable. I do sit a bit higher than in the inflatable, so it took me a while to get used to it.
  • The tracking was great and I really don't see that I would ever need to put a rudder on itů but, there is a place to mount one on the stern if you want.
  • The paddle holder is behind you. Not too far, but it was a little awkward at first.
  • They included quiet a few extra pad eyes for lashing things to the boat. I could see myself adding a few more. Mainly for thigh straps and for an anchor trolley.
  • As I'm on the heavier side and close to the max weight limit, the suppers didn't do as they should. Instead of helping the boat being self bailing, they tended to bubble up a little. Looks like I'll need to plug them until I lose some more weight.
  • There is plenty of storage with a large well in the rear and a watertight hatch in the bow. The hatch in the bow opens up the entire hull of the boat where you can put your fishing rods and tent poles fully in the boat.
  • Behind the seat is a raised, flat area where my watertight box sat nicely. However, I could see myself installing a 6″ day hatch/dry bag there.
  • There are grab handles on each side, at the bow and on the stern.
I'm really pleased with it, especially at the price I paid for it.

Rendezvous River Sports