Product Reviews > Kayaks > Pelican International > Castaway 100 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Castaway 100 Kayak by Pelican International

Rated: 8.5/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

Castaway 100 Kayak by Pelican International

Length: 10' 0" - Width: 30.00" - Starting at: $349.99
See More Details about this Kayak
Pelican International Logo

09-23-2014
Submitted by: jonscott8Send Email

A friend and I decided to get into kayaking and try kayak fishing so 3 months ago I purchased my castaway 100 for $200 off Craigslist from a guy who had only used it twice in Saltwater. I've since had it on the water at least 20 times.

For a beginner, it's a great quality vs cost option. Its strengths are its cost, light weight & angler features. Its weaknesses are lack of hull access and hatches (I've since added a 6" day hatch to mine just in front of the seat similar to the Pelican Tidewater model as well as a zig-zag cleat for anchoring & stringing fish).

I use mine primarily in rivers, some lakes & ponds, and saltwater flats. I haven't braved the Gulf, inshore or off as I suspect it wont fair well in rougher currents. It is stable to sit but standing isn't feasible for me, I've tried and rolled both times, maybe a stand assist strap would help but I doubt it. It's more maneuverable than my friends Perception Sport but doesn't track nearly as well. The backrest is handy and while I thought the lack of padded seat would be a problem, it's not until I'm on the water for a 6+ hour trip which doesn't happen often.

Very pleased with my purchase but now looking to upgrade to a larger (12-13ft) kayak.

07-02-2014
Submitted by: Bacaruda73Send Email

I recently purchased a Pelican Castaway 100 to introduce myself into the sport of Kayak Fishing. The Kayak serves it's purpose for a beginner such as myself. I did not want to spend a lot on a Fishing Kayak since I am a beginner. I just wanted to get my feet wet so to speak before I decide to upgrade to something larger with more options.

The Kayak is well equipped with accessories for a beginner. such as an adjustable rod holder and two recessed rod holders. It also came with a crisscross bungee lashing system for the rear deck to help hold down items securely. The kayak is very light weight and I can easily toss it in the bed of my truck. and since it is only 10 feet long I do not require a bed extension system to transport it. I just use a couple of ratchet tie downs and the boat is secure. I was a bit worried that the plastic construction might be weak but so far it has held up to the abuse that I have given it due to my low handling skill as a novice.

I recommend this Kayak for a beginner or as a gift to a Youth that wants to get into Kayak Fishing due to it's affordability and factory options.

06-16-2014
Submitted by: dan the river ratSend Email

I love this yak it is my first kayak and handles great I've caught many fish from it. It's all good except no dry storage and it got a hole the first summer I had it. I patched it, but one summer is not a very good life expectancy. I'll be buying Old Town or Ascend next time...

04-02-2014

I purchased my Pelican Castaway a little under 1 year ago. It was on a hot deal sale at academy for $200.00 and I was looking for an inexpensive way to try kayaking. I have really enjoyed this kayak and it was a great way for me to find out that I love kayaking.

I have used it on ponds and slow moving rivers. It handles well for what I do with it. I haven't done much fishing out of it, and have since bought a larger kayak that I fish out of.

The only complaint I have about this kayak is that there are not any dry storage hatches. It is stable, but I have never tried to stand up in it. It is also light weight (40-50lbs I think) and easy for me to load on my SUV.

03-10-2014
Submitted by: larry k leeSend Email

Purchasing the Pelican Castaway 100 (10 feet) late in the 2013 season allowed for only six trips on Tennessee's roaring river. The Castaway is a fishing yak and includes 3 rod holders, one straddle and two built in. I have yet to wet a line with my Castaway, using it for my summertime "float and drink a few beers boat". the boat has been excellent for this endeavor. Stability, tracking, and hull quality are all excellent. The Native Watercraft company sells a fish storage/cooler bag that stores 3 six-packs. at 42 pounds the boat is easy for most to carry. Negatives include the lack of dry hatches and a shortage of tie-downs which is easily solved with padeyes from Walmart. For the suggested retail of $349, this may be the buy for fishing (oops, beer-drinking) kayaks.

07-19-2013

Had Castaway for few months; my first yak. Took a little getting used to (balance), but tracks well... would set up bungee deck, stern, different maybe instead of terminal loops use hook ends (work better for me). I added 2 hatches and is a work in progress.

Overall very happy with purchase, just wish recent weather would have co-operated more so could use more.

Rendezvous River Sports