Product Reviews > Canoes > Old Town Canoe > Saranac 160 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Saranac 160 Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Rated: 9.4/10 Based On: 5 Reviews

Saranac 160 Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Length: 16' 0" - Width: 37.0" - Starting at: $729.99
See More Details about this Canoe
Old Town Canoe Logo

07-27-2013
Submitted by: Will GSend Email

I added a rudder to my Saranac 160 and entered the MR340 with my wife paddling tandem. For the first 52 miles the boat handled well and stayed ion course through some strong steady headwinds. My wife dropped out at that point and I continued solo for another 72 miles. So long as I kept a heavy cooler up front the boat continued to handle well most of the time. There was a short time of very strong cross winds that even my rudder could not manage to keep the boat pointed in the right direction. Comfort was good with some minor customization (noodles on gunnels just in front of seats.)

07-26-2013
Submitted by: Jeff HoladaySend Email

I got a chance to to use the old town canoes on a weekend trip with my junior college. Saranac 160 was I believe in use be the college on this trip on the Buffalo River in Arkansas. Fantastic trip and the old town canoes made it easy for use by beginners like my self. I am looking forward to purchasing a Saranac 160 very soon.

07-24-2013

Great for lakes and river where portages are not required. To heavy for boundary waters and you don't need the cut holders. Hunting used would be ok as long as there are no long portage to cross.

07-22-2013

A friend owns the Saranac 160 from Old Town and to test it out we decided to start in a 3 day/3 night trip. For packing the two of us and our gear, this canoe can definitely handle it.

We did a backwoods river trip, camping on the bank each of the nights out. During the day I would fish and have to say that the rod holders were a decent touch. As well as the insanely comfortable seating system. I own a pretty high end Kayak and the seat in that is comfortable, I never thought I'd see it in a canoe.

The majority of the water we were on was relatively slow moving, with some rapids. While I wouldn't recommend it, it's a bear to turn sharply and it's low lines means your gear is getting wet, it certainly handled the water fine.

All in all, if your looking for a canoe that can handle most water types, can fish out of comfortably, and want a canoe that is pretty durable, then this is what you are looking for.

Pro's:
  • Very durable.
  • Comfortable seating.
  • Convenient storage.
  • Can hold a pretty decent amount of gear/people.
  • Tracks pretty straight.

Con's:

• Heavy (To be expected)
  • Maneuverability in rough water, especially rapids is something to be desired.

07-18-2013

This is a great canoe for the price. Handles most waters very well. Like the polyethylene at 89 lbs. Seating is unreal comfortable. Just a great canoe. Thanks Old Town

Lasso Security Cables: