Product Reviews > Kayaks > KL Industries > Sundolphin Journey SS Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Sundolphin Journey SS Kayak by KL Industries

09-08-2014
Submitted by: SteveSend Email

I ordered this Kayak thru Wal-Mart with delivery to the house which was only $10. The Kayak was delivered wrapped in a torn, plastic bag which contributed to minor dents and scratches with only one that was a bit deeper but not that noticeable as it was near the bow handle. One of thigh pads was missing as well as one of the crews on one side of the adjustable foot rest. A bungee that holds the paddle was broken. One of the rod holders slightly overlapped the bungee rear cleat so it appears that quality control was somewhat lacking. The sand color, on the other hand, was nice and in contrast to the black accessories, covers, and bungees looked really nice. It has 4 scupper holes but recommend that you plug the seat scuppers. The kayak came with a nice two piece paddle.

I took the kayak out the same afternoon and being new to kayaking except for rentals had to get used to the 10ft length. It seemed tipsy at first but as I improved so did the stability. I was out for about 40 minutes on the Swift Creek Reservoir and got fairly close to a couple of Blue Herons that were fishing. The kayak did not tire me out like the rental one did.

Now for the positive, Wal-Mart realized that there were issues and offered to take it back or give a discount on the price. I took the discount as I generally liked the Kayak. A call to KL Industries was very positive as I explained the problems. One of the problems with the rod holder I did not notice prior to calling them. They agreed to send the missing parts and a touch up kit. So, I do recommend this kayak with reservations. It is a good starter Kayak but be prepared to send it back if the one you get has issues.

06-26-2013

My wife and I recently bought 2 of the same kayak. We love them! We previously used a 10' and found that this 12' boat tracks much better. There is very little wobble when paddling and my wife feels much safer and will go anywhere now. Really recommend this boat to anyone.