Product Reviews > Kayaks > Wilderness Systems > Aspire 105 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Aspire 105 Kayak by Wilderness Systems

Aspire 105 Kayak by Wilderness Systems

Length: 10' 6" - Width: 29.00" - Starting at: $755.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Wilderness Systems Logo

09-22-2014
Submitted by: SparkySend Email

The Aspire is a great kayak. Very roomy cockpit. Seats are super comfortable. I love that they adjust three ways. The back goes up and down and, forward and back. The front of the seat also goes up and down.

The stability is also great. If you lean into it the secondary catches you. There is a skeg that you can raise and lower with a little rope. When it's down the Aspire tracks super well. It even helps you stay on course when the winds blowing. It's spring loaded so if you hit rocks or something it bounces up and down with out damage. You don't even really feel it when it hits something.

The dry storage in the back is a handy feature with the hinged lid. It's easy to get into. I haven't had any water get into it yet. I still use a dry bag in it cause I don't trust any dry storage on any boat. This one seems to work though.

There's plenty of room to carry what you'll need on a day trip down the river. I've been using it to fish for bass lately and it works great.

Overall this is a great kayak for the money.

09-09-2014

I did a lot of research before deciding on which kayak I wanted. I knew I wanted a crossover boat that could handle still water as well as minor rapids on a river. The Aspire 105 was an easy pick in the end. The goal is to take this boat on a 200 mile river trip, so it had to be versatile and be able to carry my gear for the trip.

The seat is amazing, I can sit for hours on end without having to get out of the boat to stretch. I can adjust it to the position I want fairly easy.

The boat is very stable. I have used it on choppy lake water and in class II rapids. I have never felt unstable in it. Even when one of my daughters did a surprise wet entry after being scared by a spider in her kayak.

The drop skeg is great, but it can get small pebbles or sand in it causing it to not drop. I had that issue once after launching in a river.

Another selling point for me was the hatch. I can open it, retrieve an item, and close it back all while on the water. This allowed me to grab items while in the middle of the lake instead of having to hit a beach to get a something.

The only real complain I have (and why it didn't get a 10) is that the seat has plastic rings on it in places. One of these popped when I stepped on the seat by accident getting our of the kayak. It was easy to fix, but I wish they had used metal in the first place.

I love this boat. I paddle it 3-4 times a week for a minimum of 3 hours each time I go out. What I really love about it in the end is that it is like owning a Jeep Wrangler. If I see that side stream that is nothing more than a creek, I know the Aspire 105 can handle it, and still paddle fine on a lake also.

For those who want a skirt. It takes a 7.5 size, and I went with Seal brand.

08-28-2014

This is a good kayak for the price. I use it on lakes. The skeg helps to keep the kayak straight. I love the gray color but I have been told it is difficult to see in the water. The seating system is great. I am very comfortable in the water.

08-18-2014

My husband just surprised me with this great little toy for our anniversary the other day. I have taken out my new kayak every day since and I must say I am in love (well with my husband too).

I am new to kayaking so the Aspire has been a great fit. At 10.5 feet, it is easy for me to maneouver but it still performs very well and i never feel left behind by my friends with "big people" kayaks. I have taken it out on lake Ontario, staying close to shore as it was quite windy, and I felt completely safe: this boat is as stable as you can get. The cockpit is large...I mean lLARGE, 24" x 52" so even the most uncoordinated (read "me") can easily get in and out without a problem.

The only little flaws I see are no drain holes and not being able to find a spray skirt that fits the monster cockpit. That combination of course means you need a good sponge with you. Otherwise, I would not change a thing to my lovely blue boat

07-03-2014
Submitted by: Dave Heyboer

Being no youngster by any stretch; my first consideration for my new kayak was comfort and ease. This boat has a good sized cockpit opening for ease of entry and exit and this is one of the high points but not the most important.

The most important feature of the purchase was to be the seat. I am an avid cyclist and do not like having a sore butt if at all possible! (Imagine that!) The seat is highly adjustable and was in my opinion one of the best available as original equipment of the boat. I have used the boat 8 times since purchasing it about two months ago and the seat has performed to my satisfaction.

The foot-rests are adjustable from the seated position so as one wants to change as to the conditions this may be accomplished with reasonable ease! There is a drop-down skeg which is very helpful when used.

The hatch closure was another positive to me although a little disappointing in performance. The cover is hinged with two lever locks and I find this more user friendly than the “stretch” style. My disappointment is in the fact that this compartment is by no means dry! I always find water in the rear compartment at the end of my trip. This is not a huge problem, but is somewhat annoying.

Some manufactures supply a small dry container with a screw lid and I feel that would be a great added feature especially for electronic key fobs and cell phone protection. Since the boat did not come with one of these I decided to look for a good mounting spot to add one and found the boat does not have a good place to add it, although with a little change in dash board design this could be an easy option.

The boat does not come with any drains and I have added a small unit near the left rear of the cockpit. This works by rolling the boat up to the side and will allow water to flow out. A drain would be nice in the bow area as some manufactures have done.

The boat is a little heavy but I find it to be tolerable and appears to be well made.

Overall I am happy with the boat and would suggest the Aspire 105 to anybody that is looking for the similar features that I was looking for!

07-02-2014
Submitted by: PJNSend Email

Purchased my first Wilderness Aspire 105 with skeg last year. Awesome! It is very stable and with the skeg down, tracks very straight. When I am in shallow waters, it is so easy for me to reach to my right and pull up the skeg. The waterproof compartment in the back is perfect for all of my necessities (I even have a portable seat in there). Plenty of room in the front for my legs and behind the seat. It has adjustable foot rests also. Oh and the totally adjustable seat (the backrest and the seat adjusts up and down, and the back adjust front to back) is great! I love the kayak so much that I purchased a second one for company.

07-26-2013
Submitted by: paddyoracerSend Email

Great beginner kayak, loads of room in cockpit and front bow area, {floatation in front also} Nice medium size rear watertight {so far} storage area, use a few smaller dry bags to fit around skeg system. Dash board holds gear {water bottle, gloves, phone, small sponge} securely.

A little wide but very stable, I sometimes hit sides when paddling {I must pay attention}. Center ribs hold feet on rests very nicely. Being wide makes it slow done when resting, which can be done with feet on deck very easily. Seat is best I have every tried/seen, no wet sore rear, water drains right out. No side paddle holder. Rotomolded and very sturdy/thick. Very nice handles.

05-17-2013
Submitted by: CKSend Email

You want a Kayak for the Family this is the one, what an amazing boat. Bought this Kayak after a test paddle day, had the whole family there, my wife, 5'2" 110lbs, My Son 4'10" 98lbs, my daughter 3'2" 42lbs, and myself 6'2" 250lbs, and we can all fit in it. The fourth generation seat has all the bells and whistle in it you could want with out an air ride seat. Everything about this Kayak is moveable. Such a well rounded Kayak.

The only downside I have found so far is there is no bow bulk head to it. Other then that it does have the normal bungee-cords which you can always use with a dry bag. List price was $699.00,

Honestly, one of the best well-rounded Kayaks on the market.

Rendezvous River Sports