Product Reviews > Kayaks > Pygmy Boats > Murrelet 4PD Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Murrelet 4PD Kayak by Pygmy Boats

Murrelet 4PD Kayak by Pygmy Boats

Length: 17' 0" - Width: 22.00" - Starting at: $1089.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Pygmy Boats Logo

05-15-2013
Submitted by: SPG_NJSend Email

I purchased the kit for my Murrelet 4PD two years ago but was unable to fit the build into my schedule. I had a builder construct it, and now finally have it on the water. My kit was purchased before they came out with the V2 hull, and they called me up to see if I'd be interested in replacement panels. Since I'd not started, and the additional rocker relieved the one hesitation I'd had when selecting the Murrelet, I was very pleased to accept the offer.
A+++ for customer service!

I love this kayak!!! Aside from its beautiful lines, it's a joy to paddle. The cockpit with the 4PD deck give me plenty of height for my size 11.5 feet. The provided seat is ok for now, though I'll probably replace it when I've settled in more. Mine has the 17 x 33" cockpit - the only one offered at the time, but the 'standard' one is now smaller. They now include adjustable keyhole braces, which mine did not. I don't think I'll need them though - I'll add foam under the deck and with the shape of the cockpit, I'm welded to the boat.

It moves effortlessly through the water, and glides forever. Cruising along at 4.75-5.00 mph was easy. 5.7 MPH (measured on a gps) was a few strong strokes from there. It really slips thru the water beautifully. It tracks very well, but leaning the V2 hull has it carving turns in great fashion.

It's everything I'd hoped it would be - it's absolutely beautiful on or off the water, and folks cannot resist commenting on it. It handles as I dreamed it would. I've been paddling for a few years, but still consider myself a beginner. This is a kayak I'll advance in, but never outgrow. I do intend to learn to roll, and this model is built for it.

A great kayak from a great company!