Product Reviews > Accessories > NRS Ninja PFD Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for NRS Ninja PFD

Rated: 9.4/10 Based On: 5 Reviews

NRS Logo
See Products from NRS in the Buyers' Guide!
NRS in the Buyers' Guide:
  • Kids PFD's
  • Women's PFDs
  • PFD's (Life Jackets)
  • Dog PFD

08-25-2014

The NRS Ninja is a compact vest that is comfortable to wear and feels less bulky and more open then other vests I've tried. it fits nicely and is easy to enter and exit as well as adjust once you have it on. I like the hand warmer space that is on the front of the vest and it doubles as spot for holding small gear. My only wish is that it had one more lash tab. Overall I love the vest and highly recommend it.

07-13-2014

Awesome PFD for the minimalist kayaker. Sometimes I don't care to wear one but since I bought this one I do all the time. No rubbing or chaffing and not bulky at all. Handy pocket up front and attachment point for knife/light.

08-28-2013
Submitted by: EFSend Email

I got the Ninja primarily for whitewater kayaking. It is minimalist in design, not a lot of bells and whistles, but gets the job done. I like that it never gets in the way, has multiple adjuster points, and could be worn all day long. Only downfall, the buckles on the right side only adjust so much. I am on the skinny side and have the smallest vest, so my adjustments aren't even as I've tightened the buckles down to where they hit the adjusters; that then hits my hip bone when sitting sometimes. So unless you are super skinny, you'll love this vest. Easy to put on, adjust, clean, and has a small front pocket. No zippers to worry about getting broken. I recommend as it is also very affordable.

07-26-2013
Submitted by: HSCSend Email

My first PFD was a "womens PFD" what a joke, it had a zipper in the front and you had to adjust the side straps EVERYTIME, it took forever. Than I saw an ad about the Ninja, tried it, bought it - you adjust the straps ONCE, 2 clicks to get in - 2clicks to get out, that is all, and yes it works great - I had to use it in anger (as the british say) once, I didn't even notice I was wearing it when I swam.

05-03-2013
Submitted by: Marcus Send Email

Context:
I paddle a canoe 99% of the time, intermediate skill level, mostly flat water cruising and racing. I was looking for a PFD that was extremely comfortable and functional (stays out of the way). In the past I haven't worn my PFD much because it encumbered my paddling stroke, was uncomfortable, or was too hot. Over the winter I bought a new boat and wanted to be safe in cold water, so I needed a PFD I could wear for long periods of time. The Ninja was my answer.

Review:
I'm very glad I went with the Ninja. This is the most comfortable PFD I've ever worn. The radical triangular shape is perfect for a canoe stroke. My top arm never rubs on the vest due to the triangular shape, and it sits lower on your chest than most other PFDs, which provides more clearance. The vest does not interfere with my stroke at all! In the past I normally just have a PFD in the boat to comply with DNR rules, but the Ninja is so comfortable I will actually wear this regularly. The build quality seems to be good (only had it 2 months as of now), the fit is superb, functionally it is the best canoeing PFD Ive ever tried on.

I was debating between the Ninja and the Stohlquist Rocker. I tried them on, and both are very comfortable. The Ninja seems to be better suited for canoes/open boats while the Rocker seems more geared towards Kayaks/skirted boats. The Ninja sits relatively close to your hips so it would most likely interfere with a seat back in a Kayak. The Ninja is more designed for canoes or boats that the seat does not come up your back more than a few inches.

Ninja is THE pfd to have for canoeing/open boats. I'm going to buy one for my better half. Overall I highly recommend this to anyone who wants a comfortable PFD. This is a must for any racer

The only (tiny) drawback is that there is very minimal storage (1 small front pocket; only enough space for a whistle, mirror, and car keys or a Cliff bar) but I don't carry much stuff in my vest so this wasn't an issue for me. It may be for some fisherman or kayakers. If you have a kayak, possibly look more towards the Rocker due to the fact that it sits higher up on your chest and will clear the seat/skirt.