Product Reviews > Canoes > Mad River Canoe > Journey 156 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Journey 156 Canoe by Mad River Canoe

Rated: 7.5/10 Based On: 2 Reviews

Journey 156 Canoe by Mad River Canoe

Length: 15' 6" - Width: 37.0" - Starting at: $899.00
See More Details about this Canoe
Mad River Canoe Logo

12-23-2013

Bought this boat to replace and Old Town Camper. Was a great looking boat and the price was fantastic. I use this canoe mostly on lakes with a bolt on sail kit and to transport wife, dogs and gear to an island campsite. For us it is a useful canoe.

It paddles well and tracks straight. If it were longer it would probably track straighter. Our Old Town was a 16 footer and this one tracks almost as well. It is a tad heavy but that is not to much of a concern, for transporting you can use one of those two wheeled dollies and it is not problem loading and moving it around. With two people it is not issue at all. With the sail kit installed it is a fast and extremely fun canoe to have at the lake.

Paddling solo is no problem because the seats are placed right for either tandem or solo, depending on which seat you use. With the wood thwarts and web seats it looks like a very expensive canoe. The gunwhales are on tight and do not have any 'bulges" along their length. The boat seems very well put together. It has also proven to be very stable, it is easier for my wife to climb in and out (in open water) and to haul the dogs in and out without tipping as much as the Old Town did.

The only complaint/concern that I have is that the skin seems very fragile. While loading this canoe I had to gently roll it over in a parking lot (a maneuver that I have done many many times with the Old Town) and it got a pretty bad "scar" on the bow. (I was holding it by the stern) It almost looks shredded. Since then I have been very careful not to "beach" it, or let it come in contact with hard surfaces. I am not sure if this is normal for this canoe. Perhaps this is why it is so inexpensive. The Old Town canoe stood up to years and years of this sort of "abuse" and although scratched did not show the amount of damage that this Mad River Canoe shows.

I am not sure if I have buyers remorse or not but next canoe is going to be another Old Town.

04-08-2013
Submitted by: Robert ColombSend Email

I love this canoe. Just wish it was a bit lighter. I paddle it solo siting on the seat close to the middle, (reversed) I use a 240cm Wave fiberglass paddle. It works out great for me. I am only 5.6 and weigh 145 lbs. I use this canoe only in the ocean off the reefs of Okinawa, Japan. I always use stabilizers on both side. Fast canoe in calm waters. Slow in the wind and chop.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!
Rendezvous River Sports