Product Reviews > Kayaks > Cobra Kayaks > Tandem Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Tandem Kayak by Cobra Kayaks

Rated: 8.92/10 Based On: 13 Reviews

08-01-2013
Submitted by: TroySend Email

Cobra Tandem Kayaks are one of the most stable kayaks and are great on lakes and in the ocean. Lots of room for gear in the hatches and plenty of room for three, holds up to 600 lbs. Has front and rear bungee for your gear and scupper holes to drain water. It being only 60 lbs makes it easy for loading on your roof rack.

07-06-2012
Submitted by: TNZSend Email

We've owned a Tandem for around nine years now, and have been very impressed by its versatility. I've used it in a wide range of sea conditions, on rivers and lakes, and while it is not a fast boat, it has handled all but the most extreme situations well. It's excellent for fishing and diving (I use mine free diving or spearfishing). We also have taken it on 3-4 day wilderness trips, and it's surprising how much can fit inside the hull. We got a large rectangular hatch to get things in more easily, but very little water leaks in.

It works fine when paddled solo, but you sit quite high. IMHO, it performs much better with two people in it, and perhaps a bit of weight in the hull. It's taken quite a few beatings over the years, but the effect seems only to be cosmetic, and it continues to perform as well as it did when we bought it. Virtually no maintenance - I'll hose it down, particularly the metal parts on the hatch covers, after sea paddles.

Overall, the Tandem might not be slickest boat out there, nor the fastest, but if you're after a kayak with a range of purposes in mind, then you'd do well with this.

05-29-2007
Submitted by: Tom VSend Email

I got my Cobra Tandem in early 2004. It served very well on an Apostle Islands camping tour as a single, carrying everything with ease below deck. I endured headwinds and 3 foot waves (small craft advisory) with no problem (other than being slow). Very stable. I've paddled around lakes with a 90 lb. kid standing in the front. I've done a handstand on mine. A friend with a similar Fish N Dive (same hull) puts a lawn chair on his. With 2 large paddlers, I find it hard to track and keep in line. I am trying to figure out how to mount a rudder to it.

01-12-2007
Submitted by: SLSend Email

I paddled a Cobra Tandem for two years and had no problems with the quality of the boat. Finish, durability of the boat is great. Very good storage compartments and the boat is easily handled out of the water. Plastic boats can take a bit of a beating.

This boat is very flexible, can be paddled tandem or solo with an easy shift of the seat latches. This boat is good for day triping around the harbor and extremely stable. Did I mention that the boat boat is also very stable.

My only gripe is the tracking, the boat tends to zig zag a bit and requires good paddling skills and some coordination between the front and back paddler to keep straight. If the boat were 2 feet longer, it would be a pretty fast sit on top.

For a plastic boat the cobra Tandem is great for beginners and leisure paddles. I used it for adventure racing, but have moved on to much faster fiberglass boats.

09-09-2004
Submitted by: Alex DellSend Email

The Tandem is our first Kayak and we did some research before buying one. The Kayak has (or had) one drawback, it is very difficult to steer when 2 poeple are on board. One up is fine. So I installed a rudder, foot operated from front or rear and it transformed the Kayak. Now we can just paddle equally on both sides and steer precisely and effortlessly. Thumbs up from me and my wife Lori.

07-26-2004

Great as a tandum. Excellent stability. Great platform to fish from, and enough room for two to fish together.

01-06-2004
Submitted by: GGSend Email

Love my Cobra Tandem kayak-Got it as a present for my husband. Very stable and very comfortable for two adults (and my husband is 6'2). Perfect for touring/camping as it has good storage space inside the hull and also hatches on top. Great design, and stable-could not tip it over if I tried!

01-20-2003

I was considering buying Ocean's Malibu Two, for I though Cobra's higher price was not justified. After trying them side by side, there's no comparison. Cobra beats Ocean by a mile. It's much more comfortable, more stable and has a nicer finish. After a few minutes on the Malibu, my legs were cramped and I had to get off to stretch.

Also Cobra's powerflex paddles are WOW! very comfortable and feel great. Oceans' paddles hurt my hands and let you advance very slowly. I wish Cobra made a touring tandem!

04-24-2001
Submitted by: campstoveguySend Email

The tandem is great with 2 people but also surpisingly easy to paddle for one. Of course it's not in the same speed league as narrow, long yaks. But its very stable, and much faster than a canoe. Speed is a relative thing. We find it extremely easy to manouver. Back seat can get a little wet, but not bad. Solo ride is quite dry. So if you're wanting to have a boat for two people, with enough storage space for camping, with a size/weight that makes it easy to load, it's a great boat. Fits my needs perfectly.

04-26-2000
Submitted by: Zoltar

The Cobra Tandem is a great kayak. I've been using it for fishing, lots of room for gear(3 hatches). I'm able to stand and stretch with out a problem. The cool thing is it has two seats for those luxi santa barbara sunsets.

12-22-1999
Submitted by: MarkSend Email

This is a fine kayak, if it is used for the purpose that it is designed for. It is a Tandem kayak. The kayak is built out of polyethylene. It is 12'6" long by 36" wide. I bought mine to take my wife out on the lake. My wife is afraid of open water. This kayak was the only way to get here out on the lake. Now she takes my daughter and a grand child out with her. It has opened up a new world for her. At 36" wide, it is very stable.I doubt that you could tip it over even if you wanted to. I have surfed it, with my daughter, in pretty big surf . The big surf took all of the size out of the kayak. It was a lot of fun, but I will stick solo with our XL from now on in the surf. A single paddler can paddle the Tandem. But, at it's size, it is too big to have much fun by yourself. If you are a family that wants to paddle together as a tandem, and you don't want a closed deck kayak this is it.

08-23-1999
Submitted by: WDFSend Email

Very stable, good leg room, nice design. Handled well in wind & chop. Not built for speed. But it gets around well.

06-22-1999
Submitted by: KJSend Email

Can be 1 or 2 paddlers. More leg room than Malibu-II. Good hatch placement. Large hatch's available vs. other tandem sit on tops. But at 36" just too wide which makes it VERY slow. If any wind or current or choppiness it cannot be paddled because of excessive width. I recommend Zest-II over the Cobra Tandem.