Product Reviews > Kayaks > Point 65 N > Martini Solo / Tandem Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Martini Solo / Tandem Kayak by Point 65 N

Martini Solo / Tandem Kayak by Point 65 N

Length: 9' 4" - Width: 27.00" - Starting at: $899.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Point 65 N Logo

07-24-2013

I purchased a Point 65N kayak because I like yto kayak much more than my wife does- The tandem model is composed of three parts which fit together easily. Although the tandem weighs 77 pounds , each part weighs around 25 pounds, so it is easy to carry and assemble at water's edge in about a minute,

The front and rear sections can be snapped together to create a solo kayak and it comes with a rudder for better tracking. All three pieces fit in my Volkswagen Tiguan, so there is no need for a carton carrier. A very nice maneuverable kayak indeed,

Submitted by: EJFSend Email

I brought the Point 65N Modular Sit-In Kayak Set called the Martini. Comes in two parts that does easily snap securely together. Built-in rudder with adjustable foot controls helps with tracking in wind and current. Paddle park for stowing your paddle while fishing. Includes seats with cushy seat pads, molded carrying handles, water bottle holder, bow deck bungee and bow and stern storage hatches.

Even though it is small (less than 10 ft), this kayak is very stable in the water, tracks well, handles wave 1&2 well, easy to store in my small SUV and in my storage unit. The only draw back is since it is smaller, it does not have the speed that a 12-14 or 16ft kayak has.
Still love this kayak!

Submitted by: Frank J CeravoloSend Email

I reside in a condo. I have limited space. I wanted a smaller recreational kayak that is easy to store and transport. The Point 65N modular kayak is the perfect choice. The two sections fit in the back of my SUV. This kayak tracks well and is very sturdy. It has a comfortable seat. I had the dealer attach a scotty fishing rod holder and use the kayak for recreational touring and fishing. It has two spacious dry wells and two bottle holder. It has front bungie cords for additional storage. It is a well designed and very functional all around kayak.

This kayak can be made tandem by purchasing a separate center module but it is pricy. The only drawbacks are that I did not care for the rudder system and dismantled it. It is a little difficult to attach t two modular units until you get the hang of it. Otherwise it is a great kayak and I am happy with my purchase.

07-19-2013
Submitted by: Jane DSend Email

I'm a 57 year old woman who wanted to add kayaking to her outdoor resume. Couldn't decide between a solo or a tandem, so this was the perfect choice. After two tries it's as easy to put together and take apart as their video shows. All three pieces fit into the back of my Honda CRV with the back seats down and the front passenger seat pushed forward. Every time I put in at the lake, I have to explain to someone how it works and how great it is. I'm so glad I bought this, and am looking forward to many years of great paddling!

03-22-2013

Very nice practical modular kayak. I live in a condominium; My space is limited. I can store the modular units on my deck or upright in my closet. The kayak fits inside my SUV. I just have to lift each section and place it in the cargo area. No tie downs etc. Quick easy transport.

The Martini has two fishing rod holders. Two storage compartments with latches bow and stern. It tracks very well. I have used it on lakes and salt water bays for fishing and recreation. Lots of storage for a compact 9' 4" kayak. When I purchased the kayak I was concerned about water seepage at the point where the modular units attach. So far I have not encountered seepage.

I love this kayak. The only downside is it is difficult to secure the clips that attach the modular units. You must lift the units in just the right manner to clip them together. Other than this it is a great kayak.

06-20-2011

I'm rating this a 10 based on the class of kayaks the Martini competes with - short recreational kayaks. I've had it now for about six weeks, and taken the kayak out about 15 times (including a few test drives before I bought it).

I am a condo dweller without storage space. I previously used an inflatable kayak (advanced elements AdvancedFrame), and for the first six months I diligently pumped it up and took it on the water two or three times a week. Then I started hesitating and putting off going out on the water, and being lazy about launching. And I hated cleaning the kayak; don't get me started on cleaning sand off of the inflatable.

The Martini solved that problem. I keep it in my car, ready to go. It takes 5 seconds to set up. While a short kayak, it has a rudder. It has a lot of dry storage, and some bungees on the front side. I've taken the kayak out on bays and oceans (did ten miles of ocean paddling today). With the bulkheads, this boat will be buoyant in ocean waters. The wide cockpit also will make it fairly easy to reenter.

Unlike kayaks like the Bic, which apparently folds right in the middle of the seat, in the Martini you sit in a self contained seat. Thus, you don't get your butt wet sitting in this boat.

Again, this is going to perform like a slow, short recreational boat, but it can do longer trips if you are patient. And you could kayak camp with it thanks to the storage.

I get a lot of interest when I'm assembling the kayak, and people are impressed by the product (I went from using an "uncool" inflatable to something with a cool engineering concept). The owner of Point 65 was kind enough to quickly answer my questions via email when I was considering a purchase.

Pluses:
  • Stable
  • Lots of storage
  • Tracks well with the rudder (and generally tracks fairly well).
  • Works well in bays and on ocean waters (but see below).
  • Takes 5 seconds to assemble.
  • Fits inside my car
  • Smart design
  • Great for someone without storage, or who doesn't want the hassle of car topping your kayak. With my recreational paddle group, I'm always the first one to have my kayak stored.

Minuses

• Not for ocean use if you're beach launching on a day with high waves (three foot waves would be the limit)
  • Slow (but see above; it is a short recreational kayak, not a sleek sea kayak).
In closing, this is a good recreational kayak that can definitely make life easier for us condo dwellers, or those who don't want to car top their kayaks.