Product Reviews > Canoes > Old Town Canoe > Columbia Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Columbia Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Canoes Image Canoes Image Canoes Image
Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

09-24-2014
Submitted by: MangonboatSend Email

I bought my gently used OT Columbia in 1987 and have paddled it on lakes, tidal creeks, the ICW and black water rivers. It is a joy to paddle and plenty stable for canoe camping , fishing, etc. It's also easily repairable.

11-07-2013

I bought a NEW 1985 model Old Town Columbia here in Columbia SC last year. Thats right... it was purchased new in 1985 and was promptly stored indoors for 26 years until it was put up for sale, never being paddled. I bought it with just a couple scratches on it from moving it around during storage. It is a fantastic canoe for fast cruising and paddles solo very well. I take it out on Lake Murray often and am planning on a long trip down the Congaree soon. It compares very well to Wenonah canoes and even though mine is fiberglass, it weighs only about 66lbs which makes it very manageable in and out of the water. I Love this canoe and will probably never part with it.

07-18-2013
Submitted by: J. Hansen

Just got back from a Boundary Waters canoe trip on an Old Town Columbia that I borrowed from from friend. This was an excellent canoe. It was easy to maneuver on the lake, and even handed a couple storms we got stuck in. It was not always the easiest for sharp turns on the smaller streams, but that was not what we got it for anyway. An all around good tripping canoe.

03-12-2013
Submitted by: TedSend Email

I have owned my OT Columbia for about 20 years now. I bought it used, but in excellent condition, from a private party. It is in what I call a "HD" kevlar layup - not the lightest kevlar canoe (~55 lbs.) out there, but built for durability.

I have used it several times for BWCA trips and it has always done very well, handling rough water confidently as well as being a good straight tracker regardless of wind conditions. I have also used it on small, winding rivers which are NOT its strong suit - it doesn't like to turn very quickly. Now I use my Esquif Mistral 16 for the rivers.

If you don't need the lightest kevlar canoe out there for tripping, then a the durable OT Columbia is a fine canoe if you can find a used one in good condition (OT hasn't made this model for years). Happy paddlin'!