Product Reviews > Kayaks > Old Town Canoe > Caspian Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Caspian Kayak by Old Town Canoe

03-12-2013
Submitted by: johnfSend Email

I'm a novice kayaker (5'6" 180lbs 44 year old male) so this should be taken with a grain of salt. For hull design questions look up the Ocean Kayak Scrambler XL. This is a modified, blue version of that yak.

As a beginner I've found it to be very stable and tracking seems good. Taking off with power strokes does cause significant tracking problems but found that when working up to speed it was a non issue. As for speed, I raced a buddy who has yaked for 10 years. He was on a 14' Native Watercraft sit in and I ran off and left him. Not sure if that means anything, but it made me feel good.

The differences in this and the Scrambler are as follows: adjustable foot supports are nice and easy to move, flat deck makes adding accessories in front of you a lot easier, the locking hatch in the front is great. It's very secure but easy to remove.

Likes are stability, speed, rod holders, rigging and hatch.

Disadvatages are lack of side carry handles. Which are easy to put on and only cost $12. Seat is a little less than desired, but I readjusted it last night and think I may have fixed it. The back tankwell is small but I found an igloo 25qt ice chest that will fit in it.

Modifications done are: Side carry handles, anchor trolley.

All in all I'm very satisfied with the purchase.