Product Reviews > Kayaks > Wave Sport, Inc. > Z Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Z Kayak by Wave Sport, Inc.

Rated: 9.73/10 Based On: 11 Reviews

07-02-2014
Submitted by: Dave

This is a great kayak for beginners and veteran paddlers alike. A quality river running boat that can also be used for play with skill. In flat water it is extremely hard to get the nose under the water to do any tricks however it performs great as a river running boat through rapids. For a whitewater kayak it has a fairly large cockpit and can handle a larger person. Also extremely durable and not extremely expensive. I got mine used 2 years ago and have beat it up a lot since I got it, still holding up strong! All around it is a great kayak and I would recommend it to anyone.

11-25-2011
Submitted by: Archie B.Send Email

I freaking love this boat. Im 16 and Ive been paddling for about 2 years now, 1.5 of them with this boat. I got this used from a lady that weighed 4x my weight who got it used from someone who had the boat since it came out, and its still all good.

Pros:
Excellent hybrid between a river runner and a playboat (By todays standards at least, when this came out it would of been considered a playboat). I can run rapids like im in a Habitat and play in a hole like im in a Little Hero. I can do enders and spins and still punch through nasty holes. Also great for beginners, hard to flip (also hard to roll), and easy to go straight in for beginners.

Cons:
Because its a hybrid and not a dedicated boat, it doesnt do as well in tasks as others, but it still has a nice combination of attributes. I cant punch through everything like im in a Greenboat or do insane playboat moves like im in a Biscuit or Star. I cant do cartwheels and I need a REALLY strong current and a lot of depth in order to just an ender, let alone a flip. The biggest problem with this boat is the amount of space you need to in order to any playboating move. Optimally you need a freestanding wave in the middle of the river with no rocks on/near it and a good 2-3 ft of depth. And waves like those are really rare. The only 2 that come off the top of my head are NOC wave on the Pigeon and that big ass wave on the Ocoee I forget the name of.

But if your not a HUGE playboater like evolving to be, this boat is great for you. Great hybrid at a great price.

06-04-2010
Submitted by: Andrew ReifSend Email

Great boat strong performer just picked one up for $650 from a local paddler and let me tell you I'm planning the trip down the Gauley In July once I get a spray skirt and new pads. Great fit for larger riders as I'm a 230lb kayaking monster and this thing is just easy to control. Anyone in the West Virgina area willing to part a spray skirt for cheap? I know this is an old boat but it seriously does well in the small rapids around here I wouldn't have it any other way well worth the cash.

09-11-2004
Submitted by: MichaelSend Email

I have had my Wave Sport Z for about 2 months and I LOVE it so far. I am new to paddling and being about 6'2" and 190 lbs, I did quite a bit of shopping around to find a boat that I could fit in comfortably. So far I have taken the boat down a few Class I/II rivers with the biggest so far being the Nantahala River. Again, I LOVE this boat! Being a novice, the boat has been very forgiving and has great initial stability. At the moment, I am still perfecting my roll. The Z is easy to roll, although I still am perfecting my technique. I highly recommend this boat!

06-09-2003
Submitted by: GrantSend Email

River running and ocean surf are what I like, and this boat does both pretty well. I hope that Wavesport is still selling them when I have scraped all the plastic off the bottom of this one. I have no interest in the super short kayaks that are no good for ocean surf or river running, only doing silly tricks.

06-05-2000
Submitted by: JHSend Email

I'm very happy with my Z. I can sit in it all day long (unlike my Wave Sport X). It spins nicely and surfs well. It doesn't stern squirt as nicely as the RPM. For catching big waves on the fly though it is slow slow slow. The big flat profile has a high initial stability, but when it's upside down it also has a high initial stability. Rolling on a squirrely eddyline can be a chore sometimes. It snaps right up in fast water though. On steeper stuff it has a tendency to stern squirt, even when you think you've punched the hole.

03-19-2000
Submitted by: PeteSend Email

The Z is a great boat for a big paddler. Enough said.

03-01-2000
Submitted by: Big D.

Good downriver boat. Was a blast on Upper Gauley as it loves to surf big holes. You need bigger water to get to huck huge wave wheels, but it can be done. I weigh 215 and found it difficult to flatwheel, but it spins, rockwheels, and splats like a champ. I feel comfortable enough that I have taken it down the Narrows of theGreen River 5 times. If you are looking to buy, consider a good price if you find one for less than $700, as people are probably going to be hanging on to them.

09-13-1999
Submitted by: KevinSend Email

This boat is a dream to paddle. I rented one for a week, and paddled it all over the Gull River (Minden ON.). This is a smaller and shallower river, but the Z was still alot of fun. I can only imagine what it would be like on a larger glassy wave. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to try this out. Needless, to say it turned out to be an expensive rental. I'm currently looking for a used Z of my own. But isn't that allways the way with boats. (height: 6'4 weight 220-230 lbs).

07-01-1999
Submitted by: Gary

I give the Z a 10. I would give it an 11 if I could. If you are over 230lbs. and want a play boat that can still be paddled down river, this is it. It squirts, surfs and catches ends with ease. It stay together in pushy water and is very retentive and speedy for a playboat. Although I feel that you need to be around the 230lb mark to get the most from the Z, my friend can shred in it and he weighs 190lbs. The only down fall if there is one might be that unless you are a bigger paddler it may be hard for you to do flatwheels. Even at my 240 I have to be perfect on the technique and have to hop to pull flatwheels.

06-14-1999
Submitted by: DLPSend Email

I give this boat 10 points for one main reason. It does everything I want in a kayak. It surfs holes and the ocean bueatifully and it does retentive moves, squirt(with just a little more effort than say the 3D), and holds the moves due to the large, flat deck on the tail and nose.

Rendezvous River Sports
Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!