Product Reviews > Accessories > GSI Wine Glasses Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for GSI Wine Glasses

Research Food / Cooking Supplies in the Buyers' Guide!
Food / Cooking Supplies
View Food / Cooking Supplies in Buyers' Guide

11-13-2014

*Update* on the GSI wine glasses.
My opinions have not changed at all. I DID make a tote-bag for my glass and on a lark, tossed a second into my dry-hatch. After a long day on the lake, my (female) paddle-buddy was amazed when I set two glasses of decent wine before us. The benefits were personal and now I find that hauling the platypus winebag of Merlot or Cab and a couple lexan glasses to be a very pleasant paddling ritual.

09-05-2012

GSI has four products, all variations on the traditional wine glass. Now ultra lighters will simply drink their wine form the bag (reminds me of the drunks sipping from a brown paper bag in the alleys) or from whatever cup they carry in their meal kit (sounds like my college days) but I feel that if I am going to haul a bottle of wine along with me, I should imbibe in style. Thus the GSI wine glasses.

The first one I bought was their GSI Outdoors Stainless-Steel Nesting Wineglass. It holds 10 ounces and costs a hefty $14. The stem unscrews and clips into the bell for storage and transport. I originally bought it because being steel, it was indestructible but the stem is plastic and I feared breaking or stripping the threads and frankly, the clip they made to hold the stem in the bell wears out quickly. I suppose that the steel bell rim wears away the plastic clips on the stem-base. Plus the steel gives a funny taste to the wine in my personal opinion.
***** 10 stars for concept, **** 8 stars for design.

So I switched to the GSI Outdoors Glacier Stainless Steel Wineglass. Basically this is the glass without the stem which is a great improvement as the weight is lower to prevent tipping though wine connoisseurs dislike that concept as red wine should be drunk at (European) room temperature and holding the bell warms the wine up to a too-high temperature. I don't care! The glass holds 10 ounces and is slightly cheaper at $11 and eases my worries about destroying the stem threads. But then there is that stainless taste again that most people cannot detect.
***** 10 stars for design. **** 9 stars for use.

So I switched to the GSI Outdoors Nesting Red Wine Glass. Made from copolyester plastic, it is strong and mildly flexible (which means that it won’t break if you squeeze it a bit too hard). The glass holds almost 10 ounces, a bit less than the stainless glass and is half the price at $8. The stem unscrews and nests into the bell and this is an excellent system and an improvement on the stainless glass. My only complaint was that when I set it on the ground, the weight is too high and the glass would occasionally tip over is I set it on a rock or slope. But that is true of any wine glass so is my problem.
***** 10 stars for design **** 9 for field balance.

So I got the GSI Outdoors Stemless Wineglass. Made of copolyester plastic (sounds like the suit I bought in the 70's) this holds 10 ounces and costs $6.50. Now THIS one I Like! Less expensive, no fears of damaging the threads on the stem, low center of gravity…

Ok, let's cut to the bottom line.
***** 10stars for everything and if I could give it more, I would.